AA fleet plan

What about the rumours of a huge order for new E190s now that Parker has APA signed to a new long-term contract with low E190 payrates?

Boeing is getting 10 they might want to offload for cheap. Just the right amount to add to USAir without having to add any to the AA side. All though, as someone who loved the Fokker, I would love to see around 50ish 100 seaters. Good for the N/S west coast and I'm sure for all the other hubs as well.

IORFA said:
All though, as someone who loved the Fokker, I would love to see around 50ish 100 seaters. Good for the N/S west coast and I'm sure for all the other hubs as well.
Those are called E-190's.

Reactions: 1 person
IORFA said:
Boeing is getting 10 they might want to offload for cheap. Just the right amount to add to USAir without having to add any to the AA side. All though, as someone who loved the Fokker, I would love to see around 50ish 100 seaters. Good for the N/S west coast and I'm sure for all the other hubs as well.

Piedmont (the INT-based airline) did really well with their F-28s, which only held about 80 pax, if my aged memory serves me correctly.  However, they used them on thin routes where one could make a profit bypassing hubs.  Their crew costs were 2/3 that of the B737-200, which was the workhorse of the fleet.  Two FAs insted of three; and pilot payrates almost exactly (by design) 2/3 of the 737 pilots.

They kicked a** with the Florida Shuttle, as PSA (the SAN-based airline) kicked a** on the west coast with their little BAe 146s.  Then, Colodny and Schofield came along with a "better idea" and "cool northern efficiency."  Once they "tweaked" the schedules for the F28 in Florida, it was over.  (Not sure of the precise history on the west coast.)  At any rate, suddenly the airline could not make money with these airplanes that had been gold mines under previous liveries, but, of course, it could not have ever been Crystal City's f*** ups.  And SWA came in with 737s, flooded the routes that USAir abandoned and have been making money with the 737 on those markets ever since.

Hmmm.

part of the smaller fleet size is due to a younger fleet with fewer spares for mtx ots. The s80s have on average a dozen spares ots in dfw every day, and usually 3 737 spares.

nycbusdriver said:

Piedmont (the INT-based airline) did really well with their F-28s, which only held about 80 pax, if my aged memory serves me correctly.  However, they used them on thin routes where one could make a profit bypassing hubs.  Their crew costs were 2/3 that of the B737-200, which was the workhorse of the fleet.  Two FAs insted of three; and pilot payrates almost exactly (by design) 2/3 of the 737 pilots.

They kicked a** with the Florida Shuttle, as PSA (the SAN-based airline) kicked a** on the west coast with their little BAe 146s.  Then, Colodny and Schofield came along with a "better idea" and "cool northern efficiency."  Once they "tweaked" the schedules for the F28 in Florida, it was over.  (Not sure of the precise history on the west coast.)  At any rate, suddenly the airline could not make money with these airplanes that had been gold mines under previous liveries, but, of course, it could not have ever been Crystal City's f*** ups.  And SWA came in with 737s, flooded the routes that USAir abandoned and have been making money with the 737 on those markets ever since.

Hmmm.

Driver

The problem with the 146's was that they were helo engines and PSA thought they could save $$ by not replacing some rubber "o" rings in the design. They were changing an engine once a month at a million $$ cost per....Any PSA pilots out there still can attest to this. Plus yes of course there was the Cologny USair Ego also.............