AA looking for a domestic alliance partner

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
From the Dallas morning news, Fort Worth-based American Airlines Inc. doesn''t have a domestic alliance partner, but new chief executive Gerard Arpey has suggested it may be looking for one.

In an address Tuesday night to Wall Street investors and analysts, Mr. Arpey said his airline''s new pilot contract allows it more leeway to enter into alliances.

We''ll see what we can pull together, Mr. Arpey said.

He added, however, that he''s not overly concerned about the Delta-Continental-Northwest alliance''s impact on American, saying that consumers are going to find it confusing to buy a ticket on one airline but end up flying on another.

There is some pretty slim picking out there. AA needs a west coast operator. An airline with little or no overlap.
Watch out partner. AA policy seems to be marketing or alliance partner in the down times gulp and swallow in the good.

Alaska is what i was thinking.But dont put it past them not to look at Airtran.Heres another dilly for ya how about Jet Blu-Cant beat em join em.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 9:37:50 AM jj wrote:

Alaska is what i was thinking.But dont put it past them not to look at Airtran.Heres another dilly for ya how about Jet Blu-Cant beat em join em.

----------------​
Or buy em.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 9:26:05 AM LaBradford22 wrote:

Alaska Airlines. Bank on it.

----------------​
Its pretty clear that Alaska would have to be the choice - almost by default. I don''t think that AA would ally itself with AirTran since AA wouldn''t want to perpetuate the low-fare carrier''s ability to grow too much. AA could partner with America West, but I don''t think many airlines are talking to them after their fare-rationalizing scheme.

The other choice - possibly an add-on, would be Midwest.

Alaska is the perfect partner! It offers excellent service and flys extensively in areas AA does not! Plus they already cooperate with their FF plans.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 11:08:03 AM FA Mikey wrote:

----------------
On 6/13/2003 9:37:50 AM jj wrote:

----------------​
Or buy em.

----------------​
Just like AA did to TWA and screw them... It''s the AMR way. It should be the other way around. JetBlue or Airtran buys AA. See what happens. Back in the 70''s TWA was on top and thinking the way you think, 30 years later look what happened. Everything is in this industry is cyclical, be careful of what you wish for.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 3:01:27 PM FA Mikey wrote:

I am Not wishing for a purchase. No one has been in favor of any of the past buyouts. I am just saying it seems to be AA way of operating.

----------------​
Not to worry. With a market cap of $2.3 billion, B6 is safe from AA; no way could AA scrape together the $3.0 to $3.5 billion it would take to buy B6. And by time AA has that kind of dough again, B6 will probably have a market cap of $10 billion to $20 billion.