AA losing 475 pilots this yr to retirement---soo far

twoturnin

Senior
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
Seems the KLINGON WARRIOR"s--aka AA pilots-----are pretty sharp boys------"retirees have reported that the retirement value lock-in feature, a contractual protection that AMR management would like to eliminate, was an invaluable financial safety net." Wow good for them----bet the junior AA pilots are jumping for joy. Just another example of APA better protecting the AA pilot group .

ooops almost forgot the link ------http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/todays-interesting-factoid-aa.html

Seems the KLINGON WARRIOR"s--aka AA pilots-----are pretty sharp boys------"retirees have reported that the retirement value lock-in feature, a contractual protection that AMR management would like to eliminate, was an invaluable financial safety net." Wow good for them----bet the junior AA pilots are jumping for joy. Just another example of APA better protecting the AA pilot group .

ooops almost forgot the link ------http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/todays-interesting-factoid-aa.html

I spoke to a pilot two days ago who many years ago was a mechanic that I worked with. He's considering retiring and working overseas. He's only 47 but he's had enough. Congrats to him and all those pilots whose union provided them with options!

I would have been long gone had the MEC at U S Air done the right thing and frozen "the plan" similar to what NW MEC did to their plan----why live out of a suitcase and eat airport food if "your financials" will let you do other things---not to mention the risk of a new contract turning some of the neat features APA has into sawdust--not sure what recalls would be coming if the folks at CNBC are half correct about a long recovery time--but it might end up being like the DELTA mass leaving couple years ago ----Delta got in a real bind crew wise----anyways congrats to all folks that got to reap the beenies in a very serious economic time era----only two out of 30 in my hire class at PIA got the big bucks retirement money.

Does anyone think they'll have to start re-calls in the next year or so?

Hard to tell. AA is parking all 34 AB6s by September, 2009 and has said that an unknown number of MD-80s will also be parked this fall/winter. That's a lot of pilot seats being parked, which may or may not balance the number of retirements.

Although AA begins taking delivery of new 738s in Jan or Feb (depending on the effect of the Boeing strike) at the rate of about three per month for all of 2009 and 2010 (at least 76 total), most expect that MD-80s will be parked on at least a one to one ratio.

Bottom line? Hard to guess. I'm sure that someone in AA management has tried to predict the future pilot needs. Dunno how accurate they'll be.

I spoke to a pilot two days ago who many years ago was a mechanic that I worked with. He's considering retiring and working overseas. He's only 47 but he's had enough. Congrats to him and all those pilots whose union provided them with options!

There's was an article a couple years ago about American pilots going to fly for foriegn carriers. With all the pilots laid off the past eight years it should not be a suprise. From what I've read they are treated and paid very well. On the flip side if they don't like you for whatever reason they can show you the door and you have little recourse.

There's was an article a couple years ago about American pilots going to fly for foriegn carriers. With all the pilots laid off the past eight years it should not be a suprise. From what I've read they are treated and paid very well. On the flip side if they don't like you for whatever reason they can show you the door and you have little recourse.
Well if you are collecting a pension do you really care?If they show you the door you hang out and collect your pension while knocking on other doors. My father workered for one company for the first 40+ years of his working life, starting at 16, after he was forced to retire he tried several things, he would work until he got bored , quit , then try something else, he loved the Freedom that having a pension gave him.

Well if you are collecting a pension do you really care?If they show you the door you hang out and collect your pension while knocking on other doors. My father workered for one company for the first 40+ years of his working life, starting at 16, after he was forced to retire he tried several things, he would work until he got bored , quit , then try something else, he loved the Freedom that having a pension gave him.

A lot of these pilots are not collecting pensions becasue a lot of them are still relatively young and were laid off early in their careers.

And no, if I were collecting a pension I would not be as concered about being shown the door. On the other hand its not something I would want to make a habit of.

A lot of these pilots are not collecting pensions becasue a lot of them are still relatively young and were laid off early in their careers.

And no, if I were collecting a pension I would not be as concered about being shown the door. On the other hand its not something I would want to make a habit of.

The guy I was talking about was looking to work overseas after he retired. If I recall he went as a mechanic to work the Hadj from Libya, this was around 80-81 when tensions were high between the two countries but the pay was good.

does it have anything to do with DEC 1st written in chalk on the Bag Carts?