Aa Lowers International Luggage Allowance

Andre1980

Advanced
Sep 8, 2003
$25 USD for any bags over 50lbs but not more than 70lbs. Well I understand that this will help the revenue side of the equation but I can't help thinking about the negative reaction from the travelling public especially in the Caribbean where the majority of pax go to the US to shop. This fee is implemented when we are busy promoting our new slogan [I]"We know why you fly"[/I] and it does not seem to fit in well from the Caribbean traveller point of view. Perhaps management should rethink it but I sense that this would not last too long since some may decide to fly with someone else although they may not be reliable as AA. What do you guys think.

I despise some nickel and diming efforts but I agree with these. I'd actually be in favor of a per-pound charge for all checked bags (with some upper absolute limits). That way, the Caribbean-bound who move box after box would pay 2 or 3 times the going cargo rate, helping AA. The extra would be for the convenience of avoiding the cargo counter and having the freight accompany the pax. Those who cause extra fuel burn and hog the space should pay for it.

Of course, next up would be charging pax some flat fixed charge and a variable weight-based fare as well. :D

I believe this may have been a matter of matching changes instituted by some of the IATA carriers. If it can get people to spread the weight across a couple of bags as opposed to checking Volkswagons with handles, all the better because that should help reduce back injuries on the ramp and at the ATO.

Former ModerAAtor said:
I believe this may have been a matter of matching changes instituted by some of the IATA carriers. If it can get people to spread the weight across a couple of bags as opposed to checking Volkswagons with handles, all the better because that should help reduce back injuries on the ramp and at the ATO.
[post="248918"][/post]​

But, if you tip the skycap an extra $5 he will check any size bag at no extra charge?

DFWFSC said:
But, if you tip the skycap an extra $5 he will check any size bag at no extra charge?
[post="248926"][/post]​

Sounds great, but the vendor still has to account for why they're not collecting the excess. We do track that, you know.... Take a look at Perf.AA.Com and drill into Excess Baggage on the reports menu. Curbside is specifically broken out for collections/overrides.

DFWFSC said:
[post="248926"][/post]​

Very true. I once had a skycap bring down a fully assembled nautilus weight set for the PAP (Port-au-Prince, Haiti) flight.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Sounds great, but the vendor still has to account for why they're not collecting the excess. We do track that, you know.... Take a look at Perf.AA.Com and drill into Excess Baggage on the reports menu. Curbside is specifically broken out for collections/overrides.
[post="249156"][/post]​

It does sound great, because the two AA skycaps I know working at DFW both make about $5,000 a month in tips alone, of course they been doing it for over 25 years each, must have a secret.

FWAAA said:
I despise some nickel and diming efforts but I agree with these. I'd actually be in favor of a per-pound charge for all checked bags (with some upper absolute limits). That way, the Caribbean-bound who move box after box would pay 2 or 3 times the going cargo rate, helping AA. The extra would be for the convenience of avoiding the cargo counter and having the freight accompany the pax. Those who cause extra fuel burn and hog the space should pay for it.

Of course, next up would be charging pax some flat fixed charge and a variable weight-based fare as well. :D
[post="248875"][/post]​

I agree in theory, but the problem is that you encourage people to bring even more carry-ons. Weighing carry-ons has logistical problems. Then there is the issue with fat passengers, in that you are charging a 150 pound passenger money to bring 100 pounds of carry-ons but not charging a 300 pound passenger with no carry-ons, even though the latter has 50 pounds more weight on the aircraft.

A possible solution to this is to have low carry-on allowances (15 kg should be enough), but then people yell and scream when they can't roll their two wheeled suitcases into the cabin.