AA non rev lounges being closed?

Black Magic

Veteran
Jan 4, 2008
Seems like a nice perk!  What were they like?  I'm not the least surprised as DP is sharpening the blade for more stuff im sure. 

Reactions: 1 person
They were a room with a couple of computers nonrevs to use to check loads and standby lists.

Nice feature when nobody had smartphones, but probably a bit outdated now, especially if lists are being made available via Jetnet.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe I was simply dreaming, but didn't I read somewhere (recently) that AA is opening their Admiral's Clubs to employees who are traveling?  That, IMHO, will be a disaster.  But it would explain the closing of the non-rev lounges.  

And one third of the AAG employees have never even heard of a "non-rev" lounge, so those US Airways folks probably won't miss them anyway.

It's another move toward the AWA-ization of AA.

I can't imagine that the AAdmiral's Clubs would be open to us peons. If you walked in one in uniform to ask for the AED to help a passenger in the concourse, the first thing the hostess would say after you asked for the AED would be "You're not supposed to be in here." :lol:

Reactions: 2 people
jimntx said:
I can't imagine that the AAdmiral's Clubs would be open to us peons. If you walked in one in uniform to ask for the AED to help a passenger in the concourse, the first thing the hostess would say after you asked for the AED would be "You're not supposed to be in here." :lol:

Yeah, I know.  Personally, I have never set foot in any club, US Airways or otherwise.  Well...okay...once I missed a connection in MNL due to Philippine Airlines atrocious service, and they allowed me to wait out my (now) 7 hour layover in their club, but it was very pedestrian (but functional) compared to what I have glanced at while passing by any club in the United States.

Maybe it was the US part of AAG announcing the access by non-revs.  Maybe I misunderstood the announcement.  Maybe I was dreaming?

Does anyone else recall an announcement that the "Clubs" would be made available to non-revs?

nycbusdriver said:
Maybe I was simply dreaming, but didn't I read somewhere (recently) that AA is opening their Admiral's Clubs to employees who are traveling?  That, IMHO, will be a disaster.  But it would explain the closing of the non-rev lounges.  

And one third of the AAG employees have never even heard of a "non-rev" lounge, so those US Airways folks probably won't miss them anyway.

CLT had a great little staffed non-rev office with very helpful agents that would take care of you in a bind and handle ZED and tough non-rev situations. PHX had a full-staffed and friendly non-rev desk near BSO. Great people that were always willing to work a miracle for non-revs with ZED and other issues. US did away with both of those services.

Don't understand why it is such a drag on revenues to have a few employees dedicated to help $10/hr frontline employess that are making this multi-billion operation run. But I'm not in charge of the books. Oh well, back to myIDTravel...

"Buying ZED tickets is now more convenient than ever!...US Airways Employee Travel Services are pleased to announce that with the deployment of the transporting carrier phase of myIDTravel it will be even easier to travel wherever your compass points you when you need to travel on other airlines"

Hmm...used to cost $0 to ticket a ZED (at the now non-existant CLT  non-rev office and at the now defunct PHX non-rev desk). Now it's more convenient to pay $2 a pop...

Reactions: 1 person
Employees can buy club membership and use it anytime, previously at US you had to also be on a paid ticket.

Yes, I think employees were allowed to buy Admiral's Club membership at PMAA as well, but you could not go in there in uniform, or display your company id while in there. Nothing to denote that you were a lowly employee.

nycbusdriver said:

https://wings.usairways.com/uswings/travel/012414_Travel_updates.pdf
rwuozl.jpg

jimntx said:
Yes, I think employees were allowed to buy Admiral's Club membership at PMAA as well, but you could not go in there in uniform, or display your company id while in there. Nothing to denote that you were a lowly employee.
No, except for the higher up muckity-mucks (who were granted free Admirals Club memberships),  AA rank and file have always been prohibited from membership at the Admirals Clubs.  

If you were traveling on revenue J or F tickets then AA employees could access lounges just like any other revenue passenger.   Same thing for AA employees with elite AAdvantage status (Platinum or Executive Platinum) - on revenue tickets, lounge access was just like any other passenger.   I know some employees who buy enough tickets to make Platinum and EXP.

Crash Pad DCA nailed it - Parker's announcement last month was that employees could soon buy an Admirals Club Pass (doesn't say Membership) and I assume there is a conscious reason behind that choice of words.

The issue of course is the real estate cost, airports are ridicules, I recall talking to one of the last local vendors that was left in PHX and his little 10 foot by 10 foot place in the concourse cost him over a million dollars a year.

US doesn't provide these for their employees right? US is also the airline that charges F/As to bid for their lines at home, so now that AA is under the US umbrella this likely the first of many changes "enhancements" we can look forward to.

Josh

Reactions: 3 people
UPNAWAY said:
The issue of course is the real estate cost, airports are ridicules, I recall talking to one of the last local vendors that was left in PHX and his little 10 foot by 10 foot place in the concourse cost him over a million dollars a year.
Sounds like he was pulling your leg.   I doubt very much that PHX Sky Harbor is asking anyone to pay $10,000 per square foot for terminal space.   Terminal 4 contains 3.9 million square feet of space - you do the math.   

Yes, airport real estate is expensive - just nowhere near as expensive as that vendor led you to believe.   What was he selling?  Cocaine?   Meth?   What could you possibly sell in a 100 square foot space that would generate over a million dollars a year just for rent expense?    Not to mention the cost of whatever he was selling, his employees and all the other expenses of running a business.