AA Offers Double Elite-Status Qualifying Miles

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
American Airlines today announced that customers can earn double elite-status qualifying miles when they book travel and fly on American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection between March 18, 2009, and June 15, 2009. The special promotion puts customers on the fast track to gaining AAdvantage Gold®, AAdvantage Platinum®, or AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status.

"We know our members value their elite status, and we hope this offer will get them to that destination faster," said Rob Friedman, President of AAdvantage® Marketing Programs.

The benefits of elite status include mileage bonuses, upgrade privileges and various other perks, depending on a customer's elite status, level. Giving customers the opportunity to reach that next level of elite status faster is just another way American Airlines is showing its commitment to rewarding its frequent travelers.

story here

Delta ups the ante.

Delta Air Lines is offering SkyMiles and Northwest WorldPerks members up to triple flown miles toward elite status on select fares purchased for travel through June 15, 2009.

Members worldwide may purchase First, Business and premium Economy fares and earn triple the miles flown toward elite status, while members who purchase discounted Economy fares will earn double the miles flown toward elite status. Members purchasing deeply discounted Economy fares will continue to earn the actual miles flown toward elite status.

For example, a member flying Delta round-trip, nonstop between Atlanta and Tokyo will receive 13,700 elite miles – the actual miles flown – on a deeply discounted Economy fare. With this offer, a member purchasing a premium fare for the same itinerary will earn 41,100 elite miles and a member purchasing a discounted Economy fare will earn 27,400 elite miles, both of which would qualify a member for Silver Medallion® status.

The only thing easier is Usair's free give away status.

story here

At this rate, they'd be better off grandfathering everyone's status for 2009 into 2010.

Before anyone objects to the cost side of this, these are only qualifying miles, not award miles. The only possible cost is providing the amenities for each tier, and those only kick in if you actually travel....

Dont they carry a liability for this on the books?

I guess the good thing is, with more people on status levels, the economy is leaving more premium seats open and up for grabs.

Dont they carry a liability for this on the books?

They do for redeemable (spendable) miles, but this double qualifying mile promotion doesn't award extra redeemable miles - only the elite qualifying miles (which are a nonspendable counter).

I guess the good thing is, with more people on status levels, the economy is leaving more premium seats open and up for grabs.

Uh, why do you think those premium seats are open? The people who normally get status aren't traveling as much....

This time last year, I'd already qualified for Platinum (50,000 flown miles or EQPs). I had zero travel in January and just a single trip each in Feb and Mar, and only one trip planned in Apr...

I also heard earlier today that UA is allowing mileage for those who booked/ticketed before March 18th. Hopefully AA will be doing the same...

I also heard earlier today that UA is allowing mileage for those who booked/ticketed before March 18th. Hopefully AA will be doing the same...

Here's a response to a Flyertalker's inquiry as of Friday:

March 27, 2009
Dear Mr. Fountain:
Thank you for your email. We appreciate your disappointment over our new Double Elite Status Qualifying Miles promotion. It is regrettable that your intended trips does not meet the terms of this program. However, like most promotions we offer, Double Elite Status Qualifying Miles, will be granted only for travel on eligible purchased, published fare tickets on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection marketed and operated flights between March 18, 2009, and June 15, 2009. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to provide the bonus to members who meet the requirements fortuitously.
For this reason, we strive to keep all of our members well informed about the many special offers available, as well as make promotion registration fast and simple. To view a list of special offers online, please go to our web site at color="#0000FF">http://www.aa.com/AAdvantage®. Select 'Net SAAver & Special Offers' and 'Special Offers' to view and then register for any offers that interest you. You may also register by calling 800-882-8880.
Mr. Fountain, while it is not easy for us to deny requests from our most valued customers, I'm afraid we are making no exceptions in this regard. Thank you for your kind understanding.
Sincerely,
P. Barnholdt
Customer Relations
American Airlines

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11483729-post448.html

Dunno if AA will hold fast to its "making no exceptions in this regard" policy. AA's use of the word "fortuitously" makes it clear that it wants to encourage new bookings which mean new money. But I can understand the disappointment of the early-bookers; normally, early bookers (encouraged by airlines) get nothing while late-booking mileage runners on $99 each-way West Coast to Boston fares can get double status miles and quadruple redeemable miles.

I've already requalifed for EXP sometime in May based on my bookings prior to the announcement of the double mile promo and anticipate flying about 170k miles this year, so this double status mile promo doesn't do anything for me.

I can't remember if last year's double eqm promo (AADER) applied to travel booked prior to the start date of the promotion (April 16, IIRC). It did not require registration prior to travel, only that you registered before the last date of the promotion.

Although this year's double mile promo will probably mint a few new elites (among the Flyertalk mileage running constituency), my guess is that 2010 sees a lot fewer elites than this year.

AA's sticking to the original terms has me rethinking my travel for May. If I don't requalify for EXP, I'm still PLT for next year if the soft landing is still around.

Since DL is offering triple miles in J, I can get to middle tier status with them on just one or two trips. Having tier status on one carrier is good; having it on two is better.

AA's sticking to the original terms has me rethinking my travel for May. If I don't requalify for EXP, I'm still PLT for next year if the soft landing is still around.

Since DL is offering triple miles in J, I can get to middle tier status with them on just one or two trips. Having tier status on one carrier is good; having it on two is better.

Based upon flyertalk discussion soft landing was in effect 2008-2009. So it's certainly likely to be in effect 2009-2010. You may want to consider how switching will effect your counter toward Life Gold/Plat.

Latest posts