AA signs new lease at love field,

Status
Not open for further replies.

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
American Airlines has signed a 17-year lease at Dallas Love Field that extends the airline's commitment to 2028.

In addition, during the upcoming period when the terminal at Love Field is undergoing extensive reconstruction, American Eagle Airlines will suspend its service from Love Field. Eagle service between Dallas Love Field and Chicago O'Hare International Airport will be suspended effective June 11.

"We have every intention of returning service to Love Field when the new terminal is completed," said Kevin Cox, American's Vice President - State and Community Affairs. "As further evidence of that, we've signed a new lease for space that solidifies our commitment at Love Field."

story here

Ok, so we have signed a 17-year lease for 4-5 gates (IIRC) of which maybe one is used at an airport where we have what? 3 flights/day on RJs? And, those are going to be suspended until the new terminal opens?

Who knew we had that much money to thrown around? I wonder how many f/a jobs could have been saved with the money we are paying for this lease?

The DAL-MDW flights have been canceled to free up the new DFW-SAF (Santa Fe, New Mexico) flights:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/090312/da82915.html?.v=1

Because mainline ASMs have contracted so significantly, Eagle cannot start new routes unless others are canceled. I think the APA may already be grieving the issue (APA alleges that Eagle already flies too many ASMs to comply with APA scope clause).

I doubt AA had to pay much money upfront for the lease extension - unless DAL requires that rent be paid years and years in advance.

Don't forget that the Wright Amendment expires about the same time the new terminal opens. Lock in the lease now, and it will pay off later in spades. Maybe.

The question is, are they paying a monthly or quarterly fee to hold the gate and ticket counter space open? Even though it is not being used.

Ok, lets think this through. Senior management has to think not only of cost but also of what our opponents are doing and how to keep them in check. Who is the #1 airline at Love field and how do we keep them in check? Think chess...

Uh, we tried that strategy. We fought them tooth and nail through every possible court to prevent changes to the Wright Amendment. They pretty much won every time.

When the last change was made that allowed them to fly to MCO and STL non-stop, we moved into Love in a big way with mainline flights to MCO, STL, AUS, and SAT. They beat us like a rented mule. I live in Dallas, but I am based in STL. I never once saw more than 40 passengers on 140-seat MD-80 on the DAL-STL run in either direction. I remember one flight where we had 2 revenue passengers and 22 non-revs. Not a money-maker.

I like looking at the bigger picture. But in this case if we are paying rent on something we wont use for 4 years, at an airport and a against an airline we have had NO success competing against in the hopes of having something they or someone else might want in the future.

At the same time we are furloughing people, continuing to down size the operation, and crying poor to all three work groups who are in need of a monetary fix. It seems foolish and a long shot at best.

Can I have an AMEN from the choir?!!! This holding on to gates at Love Field that we obviously don't need and may never use is just childish--making sure that WN doesn't have every gate at Love.

It reminds me of a couple I used to know in Houston. They had been married forever, but they bickered and picked at each other all day long every day. It was miserable being around them sometimes. One day, I asked the wife why she stayed. (I knew she was from money, and wouldn't have to work at Denny's as a waitress if she were on her own.) Her reply: "Jim, I stayed with him for years for the children. Now, I'm staying for spite." :lol:

I like looking at the bigger picture. But in this case if we are paying rent on something we wont use for 4 years, at an airport and a against an airline we have had NO success competing against in the hopes of having something they or someone else might want in the future.

At the same time we are furloughing people, continuing to down size the operation, and crying poor to all three work groups who are in need of a monetary fix. It seems foolish and a long shot at best.

'Mikey,

I hate to agree with eolesen, but I'm thinkin' he's correcto !

Wn or NO WN,..............AA will always be the numero uno in N. Texas !

WISE to reserve a "piece of the ol' pie" !

Well then explain it to the 323 flight attendants they couldn't keep on payroll, or so much as offer some notice so they could be making some kind of plans. I dont know how to say to a human being, renting an unused space in more important than keeping them, or at least giving them a couple months notice to get ready to be furloughed.

Well then explain it to the 323 flight attendants they couldn't keep on payroll, or so much as offer some notice so they could be making some kind of plans. I dont know how to say to a human being, renting an unused space in more important than keeping them, or at least giving them a couple months notice to get ready to be furloughed.

Mikey,

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm NOT suggesting this $$ move is ethical from an employee standpoint, far from it, but from a long term strategic "move" I think it's a wise one.

Status
Not open for further replies.