AA Still Short Flight Attendants....

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Can anyone confirm that AA is still short flight attendants? According to the APFA website they are still calling flight attendants on their days off.What''s going on? It''s the beginning of the month.

Scheduling Alert: Open Time - Order of Open Time Coverage

American has notified the APFA that the sick list continues to be high and that few Flight Attendants are accepting make-up and Option II flying. Crew schedule is now utilizing international reserves on domestic in accordance with Article 9.L.3 and Appendix I.9.L.3 of the Contract. In addition, crew schedule has notified the APFA that we are now at step 6 of the order of open time coverage in most bases.
In DFW, MIA, and STL, we are now at step 9, which states, "Regularly scheduled Flight Attendants on a duty-free period, in reverse order of seniority."
The complete list of the order of open time is contained in Article 9.L., pages 118-119, and Appendix I.9.L. Pages 481-482, of the Contract.
APFA encourages Flight Attendants to monitor the APFA Web site for "Scheduling Alerts" and the APFA Hotline for updates.

How about this, everyone in Dallas, Miami and St. Louis is effectively on reserve.

----------------
On 8/8/2003 7:02:23 AM kirkpatrick wrote:

They have 1321 natives on furlough and 1297 on overage leaves to come back before they get to us.

MK

----------------​
They really did a trick on you didn't they?
7.gif

Latest news is 90 STL flight attendants will come back to the AA operation on 9/8/03. 50 to DFW and 20 to both MIA and LAX.

The new VP of Flt. Svc. also goes on record saying at this time, they do not anticipate fall furloughs. Who knows...I take that one with a grain of salt.

Something has got to give...as of today steps 7 8 9-open in MIA DFW STL-its only the first weeek of the month! And step 6 in all other bases..They can blame SK calls on this forever-they will do just about anything to save face-in spite of whats good for the airline and its pax/employees....

----------------
On 8/8/2003 9:46:37 PM s80dude wrote:

The new VP of Flt. Svc. also goes on record saying at this time, they do not anticipate fall furloughs. Who knows...I take that one with a grain of salt.

----------------​
Part of her weekly BS on the flight service website was posted to one of the Yahoo boards that I access. The minute I read this, my first thought was "Well, I guess the Fall furloughs won't be as many as they anticipated if they are saying that there will be none." Remember this is the successor to Liar-Liar-Pants-on-Fire Allen. I can't imagine she would have been promoted if the rest of upper management thought that she was one of those untrustworthy radicals who tells the truth to the troops.

Now, when you combine the following information, I don't see how you don't come up with an overage. Whether they furlough or not is another thing.
1. Normal end-of summer cutback in flying.
2. Retirement of 1/2 the remaining Fokkers (there are 79 flying right now).
3. End of the partnerships effective 30Sep--of course, this is only 86 people.
4. Return of the f/a's who were on 3-month OVLs. I'm not sure how many are in this category.

Jim

----------------
On 8/8/2003 7:02:23 AM kirkpatrick wrote:

They have 1321 natives on furlough and 1297 on overage leaves to come back before they get to us.

MK

----------------​
Actually, I think it's a little worse than this. There are almost 1600 on overage leaves and partnership flying. Only 86 f/a's are involved in the partnerships which end in September.

The way I'm calculating is that right after I was furloughed I figured that I was approx. 800 down on the furlough list, but I was about 2400 down on the recall list when you added the OVLs and partnerships on top of the most senior furloughee. I am about 500 above the most senior former TWA f/a; so, I think the 1321 number for the natives is correct.

When things look blackest, I'm always there with the voice of doom.
9.gif

----------------
On 8/9/2003 3:23:36 PM jimntx wrote:

----------------
On 8/8/2003 9:46:37 PM s80dude wrote:

----------------​
Part of her weekly BS on the flight service website was posted to one of the Yahoo boards that I access. The minute I read this, my first thought was "Well, I guess the Fall furloughs won't be as many as they anticipated if they are saying that there will be none." Remember this is the successor to Liar-Liar-Pants-on-Fire Allen. I can't imagine she would have been promoted if the rest of upper management thought that she was one of those untrustworthy radicals who tells the truth to the troops.

Now, when you combine the following information, I don't see how you don't come up with an overage. Whether they furlough or not is another thing.
1. Normal end-of summer cutback in flying.
2. Retirement of 1/2 the remaining Fokkers (there are 79 flying right now).
3. End of the partnerships effective 30Sep--of course, this is only 86 people.
4. Return of the f/a's who were on 3-month OVLs. I'm not sure how many are in this category.

Jim

----------------​
Jim,
Don't forget that by giving up furlough pay, the union gave the airline a carte blanche to lay off flight attendants in the off season. In effect, the bottom of the seniority list is now seasonal help. The company no longer has a monetary incentive to avoid seasonal furloughs because it is now free from the financial burden of paying severance pay when it gets rid of the excess employees during the slow months.
Another brilliant shortsightedness by Ward & Associates.

----------------
On 8/9/2003 3:15:25 PM AC AA LA FA wrote:

Something has got to give...as of today steps 7 8 9-open in MIA DFW STL-its only the first weeek of the month! And step 6 in all other bases..They can blame SK calls on this forever-they will do just about anything to save face-in spite of whats good for the airline and its pax/employees....

----------------​
The APFA hotline also says that few f/a's are accepting make-up or Option II trips (which is a good thing). There should be NO flight attendants accepting make-up or Option II, but I guess I'll settle for "few".

----------------
On 8/9/2003 4:59:05 PM Veritas wrote:

Don't forget that by giving up furlough pay, the union gave the airline a carte blanche to lay off flight attendants in the off season.  In effect, the bottom of the seniority list is now seasonal help.  The company no longer has a monetary incentive to avoid seasonal furloughs because it is now free from the financial burden of paying severance pay when it gets rid of the excess employees during the slow months.
Another brilliant shortsightedness by Ward & Associates.

----------------​

You know, I said the same thing BEFORE the stupid Raping Agreement was "ratified" and I was dismissed by several 'senior' flight attendants as a junior who didn't know what he was talking about. "American has never done anything like that" was their watchword. Well, we'll see, won't we?

Of course, this same group said that American would NEVER force ultra-short layovers on flight attendants even though the FAA rules allowed it. I mean, the members of the group said this that weren't saying that "the FAA REQUIRES 8 hours behind the door."

Never mind guys. Duh. Should have read the first message at the top of the page. Thanks Mikey for answering the question. So, technically, I'm at the bottom of the 1320 number? Plus the overages, which pushes my class further down. Has anyone flown with a crewmember who is planning to retire and not just talking about it?
Thanks!

Does anyone know what the actual number of native AAers were laid off on July 2nd? My class was the most junior class, AA2001-07. Until there's massive retirements, I don't see any hope for us. I keep getting all kinds of rumors, and it's confusing. What are you guys who are out on the line seeing and hearing? I only get third hand info since most of my friends are laid off too.
Thanks a bunch!