Aa Testing In-flight Cell Phones Technology

TWAnr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
From The Travel Insider:
AA has successfully tested technology allowing users of some types of cell phones to use them in-flight. A very small cell station is created inside each plane, with a separate uplink/downlink between the plane's cell and the ground. Passengers can successfully make and receive phone calls, the same as if they were on the ground.

Sounds like a great idea, doesn't it?. A dozen people carrying on annoying conversations at the top of their voice all around you, for many hours at a time!

But this might be the least of your worries. Alarming studies in the UK have shown that when you use a cell phone inside a metal object (like a car, bus, train or plane); because the cell phone radiation has only a few places to 'escape' much of it is contained within the object, causing greatly increased levels of exposure to what some people think could be harmful radiation.

AA plan to start offering this service on regular flights in about two years time. No word as to how much they'll charge.

I can just hear every sales guy jumping for joy over this while the rest of us cringe. Imagine...150 people in an enclosed tube talking (yelling into) on their cell phone about some useless conversation....

This is cut from the story in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and states that only 20 cell phones
will work at a time

The system uses third-generation CDMA digital wireless technology. A laptop-sized, in-cabin device called a picocell relays the signal from up to 20 phones to a white plastic satellite antenna, shaped like an upturned, oval salad plate, planted on top of the plane.

I am surprised they are thinking about doing this. Cellphones are a nuisance in restaurants, theaters etc.

Now, some selfimportant person will be yabbering on the phone, loud I might add, as those people are want to do, across the country, as you are trying to sleep. Or that teenager, who absolutely have to tell a friend, what he said she said and what George was wearing and how cute Nick Lacey is blah, blah, blah.

At least with personal entertainment, it requires the use of a headset.

Alarming studies in the UK have shown that when you use a cell phone inside a metal object (like a car, bus, train or plane); because the cell phone radiation has only a few places to 'escape' much of it is contained within the object, causing greatly increased levels of exposure to what some people think could be harmful radiation.

The nuisance of listening to other peoples "important" calls aside, I hope they study the radiation issue further. After all, they banned smoking over the health concerns of second hand smoke. I won't own a cell phone because when I am away from a phone, I am away for a reason. I'd hate to think I could be nuked on an airplane from somebody who just HAD to be in touch.

...or a really good one depending on how you look at it. It could give pax a chance to relay to authorities that a plane has been hijacked or that pax have reclaimes control before being shot down....

flyhigh said:
...or a really good one depending on how you look at it. It could give pax a chance to relay to authorities that a plane has been hijacked or that pax have reclaimes control before being shot down....
For peace and quiet, I'll take my chances. I do every time I fly. I do not beleive there will be another hijacking there are too many other soft targets.

Latest posts