AA To Announce Love Field Flts On Friday 11/18?

Corinth2103

Aug 20, 2002
Chicago
www.usaviation.com
The local NBC affiliate in Dallas/Ft Worth mentioned tonight that American Airlines will most likely schedule a news conference for Friday at Love Field in Dallas to announce new service yet again from that airport. Cities in Missouri were mentioned as was new prospective service to the surrounding states that Southwest can fly to now due to the Wright Amendment.
Guess we'll know whether this is true or not by Friday, but the folks interviewed from Southwest were a bit incredulous that AA would do such a thing but they welcomed the chance to compete against its fellow North Texas airline.

Tim

And this from the Dallas Morning News...

American sets Love meeting, weighs options

Session may be initial step of its return to city airport

09:35 PM CST on Wednesday, November 16, 2005

By ERIC TORBENSON and SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News

Real estate officials from American Airlines Inc. will meet with Dallas Love Field's airport director Friday in what could be the initial steps of the Fort Worth-based carrier's return to the city facility.

However, Love Field director Kenneth Gwyn quickly added Wednesday that he's received no formal indications from American suggesting it's in the process of getting its three gates there ready for flights.

"I've not been notified orally or in writing" about American's intents, Mr. Gwyn said. The agenda for the meeting at Love hadn't been formally set either, he said.

American could be positioning itself to combat Southwest Airlines Co., should Missouri become the eighth state that can be served with interstate commercial service from Love.

A spending bill in front of Congress this week contains language that exempts Missouri from Wright amendment flight restrictions.

DallasNews.com/extra

Tracking the Wright amendment: History, opinions, links and FAQs
An American spokesman confirmed that the meeting has been scheduled, but wouldn't elaborate on the carrier's plans at Love except to say it's considering its options.

Southwest launched the campaign to repeal Wright a year ago. The Dallas-based discounter wants to be able to serve its nationwide network from its home airport.

American, along with Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, has opposed lifting Wright.

Possible consequences
American has said that if the rules were lifted, it would be forced to divert flights to Love from D/FW because so many of its best customers live closer to the city airport.

But by doing that, American argues, its largest hub will be weakened, resulting in less service to smaller cities and some international destinations, eventually hurting the region's economy.

"St. Louis is the kind of mid- to long-range market that generates a lot of local traffic," said American's Tim Wagner. "That's the kind of market we've been saying all along that we expect to have diverted under the scenario where the Wright amendment is opened up at Love Field."

Although American doesn't fly directly against Southwest's service to 11 cities from Love today, it does compete on fares to those cities from D/FW.

Southwest won't say officially that it will launch service to St. Louis or Kansas City, but spokesman Ed Stewart noted that it appears increasingly likely that Missouri will be added to the Wright perimeter.

"If it does happen, it would be fair to say that the people of Missouri ought to be very encouraged," Mr. Stewart said. Southwest is already the largest carrier in Kansas City and the No. 2 carrier at St. Louis.

American last diverted planes to Love Field to compete against Legend Airlines, which flew for just eight months in 2000. American shared gates with Continental Airlines Inc.

Continental continues to serve Love with regional jet service to Houston. American suspended its Love service after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Never used
American's three gates at Love, adjacent to the two operated by Continental in the East Concourse, have never been used. They were set to open on Sept. 23, 2001.

They're in "good shape," Mr. Gwyn said, and simply would require jet bridges to be attached to them and some other equipment to become operational.

Never used
American's three gates at Love, adjacent to the two operated by Continental in the East Concourse, have never been used. They were set to open on Sept. 23, 2001.

They're in "good shape," Mr. Gwyn said, and simply would require jet bridges to be attached to them and some other equipment to become operational.
And to think they have 3 practically new condition jet bridges that just came off DFW B terminal gates for the opening of D terminal.

And to think they have 3 practically new condition jet bridges that just came off DFW B terminal gates for the opening of D terminal.

Not to mention the four gates in Terminal A which are now unused due to D's opening...

AA owns the jetbridges in most cities, so it would be easy to remove a few and truck them into DFW to backfil what goes over to DAL. Airports are getting smarter about that, though, and some are buying them from the airline when they have the chance to do so, i.e. US sold their PHL jetbridges to the airport authority right about the time WN announced their entry.

Interesting news...I would think it would be much better to see AA compete against SWA directly from DFW...

<_< Yep! Good news for the people of Missouri!!! Senitor Bond takes care of his own!!!This couldn't have anything to do with his relationship with aa?? Could it??? What's the old saying? "What go'es arround,comes arround!" Signed: "Just another one of aa's redheaded step children!!" ;) PS: Never thought I'de see the day STL would become a major hub for Southwest!!! But it could happen!!!!

<_< Yep! Good news for the people of Missouri!!! Senitor Bond takes care of his own!!!This couldn't have anything to do with his relationship with aa?? Could it??? What's the old saying? "What go'es arround,comes arround!" Signed: "Just another one of aa's redheaded step children!!" ;) PS: Never thought I'de see the day STL would become a major hub for Southwest!!! But it could happen!!!!
AAAWWW..... Is senator Bond mad because AA couldn't force it's unions to give the TWAers dovetail? AA could stick it up his hind end by closing STL and MCI completly and laying off the few thousand that are left. Or they can cut some flights out of STL and layoff. They could also layoff at MCI to have the bare minimum number of employees required for the state/city aid in reparing the base. If AA decides to, they could very well do this and just decide to let SW have STL all to itself.

I doubt WN is looking to make STL a hub when they keep cutting back at STL

I doubt WN is looking to make STL a hub when they keep cutting back at STL
<_< Flights from Love into MCI,and STL will close a big gap in their east/ west route strucure! So that trend may be coming to a close!!!"Hub!" Maybe not! But,all I'm saying is this is not going to help aa's "BIG PICTURE"!! Whatever it may be!!!Whatever some people may say, STL is centraly located! With new runways, and I believe Southwest has a new terminal, although I haven't been there in some time.

I remember a few years back we use to fly Fokkers out of LGA all first class seats to luv field.
As i recall the flights were never full
You think they would be with first class seating at coach prices :down:

<_< Flights from Love into MCI,and STL will close a big gap in their east/ west route strucure!

east/west????????? When I took 5th grade geography, they told me that traveling Dallas to Kansas City or St. Louis would be more of a north/south thing.

So you are reveling in AA losing more money? It will just hasten the day that the rest of us and all the former TW employees in all departments are out of a job. I hope that makes you feel really good.

Reveling in the misfortune of others,regardless of your reasons, usually causes the law of unintended consequences to kick in.

east/west????????? When I took 5th grade geography, they told me that traveling Dallas to Kansas City or St. Louis would be more of a north/south thing.

So you are reveling in AA losing more money? It will just hasten the day that the rest of us and all the former TW employees in all departments are out of a job. I hope that makes you feel really good.

Reveling in the misfortune of others,regardless of your reasons, usually causes the law of unintended consequences to kick in.
Some of them and one of their senators are still bitter over a certain issue that AA management had absolutely no control over. They are so consumed by it that they actually want negative things to happen to AA. Yet when these bad things do happen to AA and AA lays of in MCI and STL, they are the first to cry and complain about how bad and unfair it is.

I remember a few years back we use to fly Fokkers out of LGA all first class seats to luv field.
As i recall the flights were never full
You think they would be with first class seating at coach prices :down:

AMR never intended to fill flights on these routes...only put a carrier out of business. They did that (through the flights as well as the same judicial system tactics they used against WN in the beginning to try to get them to run out of cash) and then pulled out of DAL. But according to the company's press at the time, it was a very wise biz decision to fly all FC out of DAL and there was a huge market. AMR was simply taking care of its customers per their press back then. Amazingly, though, those customers were no longer important after Legend was successfully plowed under. Talk about both sides of the mouth...

The flights didn't stop till 9-11. At that time the decision was made to retire the F-100's. So service was cut at DAL first. No surprise and no conspiracy.