AA to End Interline Agreement with Delta

Jester

Veteran
Sep 12, 2007
Formerly PHry Town
Oh God this is horrible. We are going to be punished so badly by Delta. I just hope they're kind enough to let us survive?

Please Delta don't take everything away from us. Oh pretty please.

Reactions: 3 people
Jester said:
"American Airlines and Delta Air Lines are ending their interline agreement that allows them to sell tickets on each other's flights as of Tuesday."

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/20150910-american-airlines-delta-air-lines-to-end-interline-agreement.ece

Does anyone think this might have something to do with DL encroachment into SEA and AS?

Might this be the end to AA (as one will surely suggest) or just really nothing to get excited about?
On A.Net it was suggested that DL asked for $30m more than before to renew the agreement. I'd have to go back and see if there's a source link or not...

It won't be the "end" for anyone, but I do think it's a bit shortsighted on DLs part... And it also takes one more tool out of its agents hands for service recovery...

So, does this mean no non raving on DL either?  We don't have interline with WN but can non rev on them. 

I don't think so Chris. That agreement has nothing to do with non-reving and pretty much has everything to do with customer service and re-booking when chaos begins due to weather delays and or cancelations.  What ever the $ ask was from Delta, apparently it was too much and AA sees that they could handle all the re-routes and re-bookings thru themselves, other airlines interline agreements for much cheaper than Delta was asking.  Wondering what might happen the first time either AA or Delta is forced into asking for some kind of accommodation from the other?  Never burn your bridges...

swamt said:
Wondering what might happen the first time either AA or Delta is forced into asking for some kind of accommodation from the other?  Never burn your bridges...

I think it is still the case that SWA does not interline with other carriers.  When their operation clanks, their customers are pretty much on their own.

What will happen when AA or Delta have these disruptions?  Both carriers evidently feel that their networks are large enough that they can absorb the disruption in-house, or utilizing the interline agreements still in effect with other carriers.  I suppose if AA absolutely needs to use Delta, or vice versa, it will be full-fare walkup prices.

I wonder if this is posturing, not unlike the standoffs that pmAA had with the online travel agencies? Eventually, AA and Orbitz kissed and made up (along with AA and Expedia, IIRC).

If it is a permanent done deal and they're not continuing to negotiate behind the scenes to reach a new agreement, then this looks like lose-lose for both AA and Delta. Eventually, there will be meltdowns and there will be some Conciege Key types who will come unglued when the AA agent tells them "Sorry - even though DL has seats, we're not going to rebook you on DL because to us, DL might as well be WN." And, I have to assume, the same thing with DL elites who see that AA could get them there quickly but are told "no can do" by the DL agents.

That's not going to go over very well with the decision-makers and important-types. Commoners (no-status low-fare paying losers) already get the brush-off when they demand to be rebooked on other airlines. If you're a nobody, you get to wait until AA can find a seat for you on AA's network. Even if that takes a while.

The posturing isn't from AA. From people much closer to the situation, it's an attitude that DL doesn't need AA if they're running the better operation, and they saw the agreement as lopsided in terms of who benefited.

The reality is that there are few places where AA and DL are that UA or WN isn't. Eventually, I expect WN to do some limited interlining when they cut over to the new res system, which should be any month now.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
The posturing isn't from AA. From people much closer to the situation, it's an attitude that DL doesn't need AA if they're running the better operation, and they saw the agreement as lopsided in terms of who benefited.

The reality is that there are few places where AA and DL are that UA or WN isn't. Eventually, I expect WN to do some limited interlining when they cut over to the new res system, which should be any month now.
Maybe we are going to have to leave spare airplanes lying around like the old days of the shuttles, especially at this airport here in northern Queens

Karma is a funny thing and it will eventually catch up with someone - seems to be a trend with partnerships and agreements with one airline

eolesen said:
...And once again, Icarus flies just a little closer to the sun...

Reactions: 2 people