AA to expand domestic flying out of MIA

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-launch-domestic-miami-120000275.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons

New service between Miami and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), Kansas City International Airport (MCI), Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) and San Antonio International Airport (SAT) will launch on March 5, 2015. Customers may begin booking travel on these flights on Sunday, Oct. 5.

"We are very excited to announce these new routes, which will give our customers more travel options to and from Miami and better opportunities to connect to our vast network in Latin America," said Marilyn DeVoe, American's Vice President – Miami. "As we celebrate the 25th anniversary of our Miami hub, these new routes further underscore Miami's importance and our commitment to its growth."

Reactions: 2 people
Oh yes.  We're going to hear how the addition of SLC will result in endless losses for AA, how it makes no strategic sense for AA, etc. etc.

Reactions: 3 people
USFlyer said:
Oh yes.  We're going to hear how the addition of SLC will result in endless losses for AA, how it makes no strategic sense for AA, etc. etc.

Indeed - AA, adding a new flight out of SLC, the hub of all-powerful invincible Delta?

AA is probably going to be bankrupted over this fateful mistake (or the ensuing, reinvigorated push to "win in N. Texas")!

Reactions: 3 people
cant wait for the spin on that!   Its all good for one airline  but not for any other air carrier!!   Good to know that AA is starting new routes!!or restarting them

Reactions: 1 person
No more DL to SLC for me. Too bad the times aren't more conducive of MIA-based skiiers. AUS should have happened in like 2007. Not sure about SAT or MCI probably will never take not those flights.

Josh

737823 said:
No more DL to SLC for me. Too bad the times aren't more conducive of MIA-based skiiers. AUS should have happened in like 2007. Not sure about SAT or MCI probably will never take not those flights.

Josh
Who cares?

Reactions: 4 people
Kev3188 said:
Nice! Always cool to see new routes opened (or restarted)...

I wonder if the Widget will respond to the SLC addition?
Kev DL has tried FLL/MIA-SLC multiple times without success. I think the last time it consistently operated was winter 2009 from FLL along with TPA. More recently they gave tried limited two weeks service around the winter holidays.

Josh

700UW said:
Who cares?
Don't like it don't read it. I plan to take this flight regularly. It's long overdue. I wonder how much of this is based on LDS missionary travel to Latin America. I often see large groups of them traveling AA SLC-DFW connecting.

And it's with great disappointment that SLC will be an IAM station, I'd sooner have vendors work the flights like they do the AA side today.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Nice! Always cool to see new routes opened (or restarted)...

I wonder if the Widget will respond to the SLC addition?
MIA-BOS probably moved up the DL to-do list a few notches.

and it won't be flown in the middle of the night like AA will do SLC.

maybe a couple more MIA-LAX RTs will do the trick too.

Kev DL has tried FLL/MIA-SLC multiple times without success. I think the last time it consistently operated was winter 2009 from FLL along with TPA. More recently they gave tried limited two weeks service around the winter holidays.

Josh
because DL, like AA, has to overfly multiple hubs to operate SLC-Florida.

AA is clearly trying to go after the Latin America market from SLC, but DL isn't going to lay down and give up the local market.

All of these market adds look to be taking aircraft that would have been RON's at MIA, and increasing aircraft utilization.

WT can criticize the timing all he wants to. Aircraft sitting on the ground don't make money.

Reactions: 6 people
eolesen said:
All of these market adds look to be taking aircraft that would have been RON's at MIA, and increasing aircraft utilization.

WT can criticize the timing all he wants to. Aircraft sitting on the ground don't make money.
Unless, of course the aircraft belong to DL.

Reactions: 6 people

eolesen said:
Good point.

...And they'll likely offset fixed costs on the ground as well.

Not a bad idea at all...

I've never said there is anything wrong with operating flights that make money even on a DOC (direct operating cost basis) which is what would be involved in an aircraft that sits on the ground overnight.

AA can justify MIA-SLC on a DOC basis but the strategic implications are that DL will protect SLC and use aircraft that will generate revenues on a fully allocated cost basis.

AA decided it wanted to start LAX-RDU, a route which DL had operated on a seasonal and less than daily basis. DL added a second, AA has done the same, DL added LAX-BNA and the same thing will happen here

With consolidation we now have carriers like AA now willing to fill out the deficiencies in their network by going directly into key markets for other carriers.

DL will add service and the cost will come at a higher price to AA than the marginal revenue they get from a few SLC-Latin America or MIA passengers.

DL's 319s are being reconfigured with the rumored role of being able to fly deep into Latin America. DL's introduction of MIA to Latin America service could be a lot sooner coming than a lot of people here want to think.

and AA will add what in response to DL's incursion into AA's richest market?