Aa Wants Chicago-shanghai

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
FOR RELEASE: Friday, June 18, 2004

STATEMENT BY AMERICAN AIRLINES ON ADDITIONAL U.S.-CHINA ROUTE AUTHORITY

FORTH WORTH, Texas -- Gerard Arpey, Chairman and CEO of American Airlines, made the following statement in response to news that the U.S. and Chinese governments have reached agreement on additional access to China for U.S. carriers:

"The agreement between the U.S. and Chinese governments is great news for travel and commerce between our two countries. We commend the negotiators of the Department of Transportation and the State Department for their skill, hard work and sense of purpose in negotiating a market-changing agreement that will result in vastly increased commercial air service between the two countries.

"For several years American has had strong interest in serving China and now looks forward to vigorously participating in the DOT's carrier selection proceeding. In keeping with one of our Turnaround Plan tenets -- "Fly Smart, Give Customers What They Value" -- American is focused on developing a route network that can offer travelers convenient service to all corners of the globe. China would be a sensational addition to the network, complementing our already strong service to Europe and Latin America and our recent expansion in Japan with new service between Los Angeles and Tokyo.

"Although American's opportunities to compete in key Asian markets outside Japan have been limited by governmental restrictions, our aspirations in the region have been high. Through partnerships with Cathay Pacific, a fellow member of the global oneworld alliance, and with Japan Airlines, China Eastern, Vietnam Airlines and EVA Airlines, we have been able to broaden our reach in the trans-Pacific market. But American will be able to offer our customers so much more in this growing and ever-important market once we are able to operate directly between the U.S. and China.

"The last time U.S.-China route authority was available, American was an aggressive participant in the carrier selection proceeding, and we were deeply disappointed when the designation went to an all-cargo airline. This time, new route authorities will be available for combination carriers like American, and we will again make a strong case for operating the new route from our international gateway at Chicago's O'Hare Airport with nonstop Boeing 777 service to Shanghai.

"Chicago is a huge local market and a connecting center where American can offer convenient access to China from dozens of cities in our U.S. network, and is the perfect choice to operate services provided by the new route authority. With our strong Chicago hub, American is well positioned to present the strongest competitive challenge to U.S. carriers currently serving the U.S.-China market. We look forward to showing DOT that the new route authority is put to best use by promptly awarding it to American Airlines."

United is probably going to move on this too, expect more flights from SFO and competitive non-stop service from O'Hare. Trans-Pac is United's backyard and they are going to defend it.

Wing&Prayer,

Wouldn't Miami to TOKYO be more important? Peking from ORD or JFK would more likely. Also when will AA return to Osaka? DFW to Osaka, as pre 9/11, should happen ASAP. Hong Kong should be the next destination with ORD to HKG, to complement the Cathay service nonstop from JFK and the west coast.

ual777fan said:
United is probably going to move on this too, expect more flights from SFO and competitive non-stop service from O'Hare. Trans-Pac is United's backyard and they are going to defend it.

[/QUOTE]

Expect everyone's favorite airline from MSP to vigorously defend it's turf as well....

Heck with y'all, the in your face LWC'S(low wage carriers) will get any new route awards.

jimntx said:
No. All that I have been able to find in the press so far is that AA plans to go after a Chicago-Shanghai route. And, that is info released by AA.
Jim - rumor has it another recall coming - maybe it has something to do with this route. You may be back in a few months.

jsn25911 said:
Jim - rumor has it another recall coming - maybe it has something to do with this route. You may be back in a few months.
Yeah, I heard as early as 01AUG. I'm just trying to operate on the basis of I will be recalled when I get the letter in the mailbox. Of course, I can't help but look at the fact that it will probably be around 10JUL when they know for sure how many of the OVLs are actually returning. That would give them exactly 21 days to notifiy furloughees of recall 01AUG.

jimntx said:
Of course, I can't help but look at the fact that it will probably be around 10JUL when they know for sure how many of the OVLs are actually returning.
It seems to me that anyone returning would want to bid for July, and thus would have signed up for whatever training was necessary. I can't imagine that more than a handful would wait until the last minute or just not show up.

So how many have indicated they would return so far? 700? 800? 1000?

MK