AA "Why You Fly" TWU Style

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
I have an ad for you. And this one is real.

The scene, a long line at the Starbucks counter, it's about 7:00 AM. I am in my uniform and a Flight Attendant working the JFK flight is behind me. The other patrons are all travelers. It is taking some time for the line to move so I turn to the FA and ask which flight she is working. She replies, "The JFK trip." She goes on to tell me that technically she had a 9 hour layover. But only got 6 hours rest. We are talking quietly. She says she hates these short layovers and will write it up when she gets home. All she wants to do is get home. I tell her I want to go home too. At this time the woman in front of me turns and asks me, "Where's home?" I politely tell her, "Anywhere but here." Both the woman and FA smile and the woman asks, "Why's that?" I simply answered, "Because I HATE this place." Now there's a Kodak moment!
Well, the few people in front and behind us have perked their ears up at my comment. I did not speak loudly or with a heated tone. It was a matter of fact answer. The woman in front of me had a quizical look on her face so I explained that the reason I feel the way I do is because of the way AMTs have been treated. (I know we all have been treated the same but since I am an AMT Crew Chief I answered about what affects me on a daily basis.) I explained that we had 6 AMTs that wanted to take the Stand -in- Stead recently and retire early and take the 13 weeks pay that came with it. But our supervisor's boss would only let 4 take the Stand-in-Stead because the other two were planning on retiring soon anyway so he would save the 26 weeks by not giving it to them. Each of these two AMTs, both Crew Chiefs, have given over 30+ years of their lives to this company. (What's that saying Dangerfield had? Oh yea, I GET NO RESPECT!)
I went on to say how AMTs just don't care any more. SYSTEM WIDE! How AMTs are leaving the industry and NO ONE is coming into it. How I voted NO to concessions but was force fed concessions anyway by the unelected ATD leader jim little AFTER I was promised a FULL REVOTE! I also informed this kind traveler how we took massive pay cuts to save jobs only to have the lay offs anyway.
By the time we made it to the counter I paid for the FA's coffee and told her that regardless of how much the morale sucks at AA that NO ONE would ever allow an unsafe aircraft leave the gate. It's just that you can only beat a horse so many times. People would rather leave the industry than let an aircraft go that was not airworthy. And people are leaving the industry!
Now that's a commercial for you!

I absolutely hate you and people like you. I hope you were proud of yourself, you probably ran off 10 future customers. You union bastard!!!!!!!!!!!

I explained that we had 6 AMTs that wanted to take the Stand -in- Stead recently and retire early and take the 13 weeks pay that came with it. But our supervisor's boss would only let 4 take the Stand-in-Stead because the other two were planning on retiring soon anyway so he would save the 26 weeks by not giving it to them. Each of these two AMTs, both Crew Chiefs, have given over 30+ years of their lives to this company.

This is stupidest f-ing thing i've ever heard of in my life. Why the hell did they deserve 26 weeks? The company is losing billions and you want AA to just hand out 26 weeks of pay just for the hell of it. The stupidity and hypocrisy of it is incredible. If a member of management got the 26 weeks you'd scream bloody murder, but because he's a CC he Deserves it. Incredible.

Oneflyer said:
This is stupidest f-ing thing i've ever heard of in my life. Why the hell did they deserve 26 weeks? The company is losing billions and you want AA to just hand out 26 weeks of pay just for the hell of it. The stupidity and hypocrisy of it is incredible. If a member of management got the 26 weeks you'd scream bloody murder, but because he's a CC he Deserves it. Incredible.
[post="252525"][/post]​

I believe Stand-in-stead is open to all workgroups, union and non-union, management and non-management. AA offered Stand-in-stead to ALL interested people where RIFs were occurring. So those 2 crew chiefs had every right to receive it. If I were them I would file a grievance.

Also, you need to think before you open your mouth. AA has to pay 13 weeks severance to whomever they layoff, providing they have enough seniority to get 13 weeks.(it is in the TWU contract). It does not matter if the person has 15 years or 30+ years. All Stand-in-stead really does is let the senior person take the layoff in place of the junior person. But once a person takes this program they are severed from the company, they can't ever have their job back. This actually helps AA save money because the senior person makes more money, has more sick time and gets sick more than a junior person, and has more vacation time, etc. By the way, I have heard that management people who elect to take stand in stead get 26 weeks. I don't hear you complaining about that or the 2 years for every 1 year seniority credit that some management people get. You are a fool.

Oneflyer, has anyone ever told you that you are nothing but a SCUM SUCKING WEASEL? I bet you would screw your own grandmother for a hamburger, wouldn't you? Typical AA management! You and other people like you is one of the reasons that the airline business stinks!

Oneflyer said:
I absolutely hate you and people like you. I hope you were proud of yourself, you probably ran off 10 future customers. You union bastard!!!!!!!!!!!
[post="252524"][/post]​

Oneflyer,

I have read some of your posts and am dissapointed in some of your opinions upon our Unionized employees at AA, but you need to understand that not all of us are as bad as you perceive. In response to the "idiot", you have replied to. He is not "Union"...! He is an "elitist", one who champions the fact that he is an associate member of a "rogue association", called amfa..!!!! He would prefer that AA go into bankruptcy and decimate your job, as well as mine...!!!! Now this "fool" is taking his complaints to our passengers on his own accord... :shock:

He is either a "idiot or a martyr", only time will tell :blink:

------------------------------------
amfa: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO....!

Oneflyer said:
[post="252525"][/post]​

Why do Maintenance supervisors who were already going to retire got 26 weeks with the stand in stead instead of the 13 weeks the union workforce received? They were going to retire in December on their normal retirement but the compAAny found an extra 26 weeks pay for them by going the first week on January. Now we know were the 26 weeks of pay came from.

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
I can see HSS was one of the bridesmaids at the wedding.
[post="252542"][/post]​

Not a bridesmaid, but don't support stupidity :blink:

-------------------------

High Speed Steel said:
Oneflyer,

I have read some of your posts and am dissapointed in some of your opinions upon our Unionized employees at AA, but you need to understand that not all of us are as bad as you perceive. In response to the "idiot", you have replied to. He is not "Union"...! He is an "elitist", one who champions the fact that he is an associate member of a "rogue association", called amfa..!!!! He would prefer that AA go into bankruptcy and decimate your job, as well as mine...!!!! Now this "fool" is taking his complaints to our passengers on his own accord... :shock:

He is either a "idiot or a martyr", only time will tell :blink:

------------------------------------
[post="252538"][/post]​

You know, the first sentence had me thinking there was actually some union left in you, and then you went and ruined it by talking your usual garbage. Your beloved union is the representative bargaining agent on the property and you just stated to management that not all are as bad as perceived. So which members are you conceding to your buddy Oneflyer? You singled out Ken, are you saying all AMFA supporters are as bad as Oneflyer has stated?

High Speed Steel said:
Not a bridesmaid, but don't support stupidity :blink:

-------------------------
[post="252543"][/post]​

No, you just support Punks, Drunks, Cowards, Felons.......

AMFAMAN said:
You know, the first sentence had me thinking there was actually some union left in you, and then you went and ruined it by talking your usual garbage. Your beloved union is the representative bargaining agent on the property and you just stated to management that not all are as bad as perceived. So which members are you conceding to your buddy Oneflyer? You singled out Ken, are you saying all AMFA supporters are as bad as Oneflyer has stated?
[post="252545"][/post]​

Sorry to dissapoint you "amfaman"! But I noticed in some of your other posts that you were pleadinig for some responses from the TWU supporters to bail you out from your embarrassing encounters with Oneflyer. I thought you "amfa boy's" had all the answers..? Why the request for the help from the TWU? I have to tell you amfaman, that was funny as hell...... :D :D :D

---------------------------

High Speed Steel said:
Sorry to dissapoint you "amfaman"! But I noticed in some of your other posts that you were pleadinig for some responses from the TWU supporters to bail you out from your embarrassing encounters with Oneflyer. I thought you "amfa boy's" had all the answers..? Why the request for the help from the TWU? I have to tell you amfaman, that was funny as hell...... :D :D :D

---------------------------
[post="252552"][/post]​

Sorry that you are too inebriated to comprehend. By your failure to respond to Oneflyer's post, we can only use that as a sign of your agreement with him, your friend, manAAgement.

Bail me out, I rather drown before I ever ask for your help.

I have read some of your posts and am dissapointed in some of your opinions upon our Unionized employees at AA, but you need to understand that not all of us are as bad as you perceive. In response to the "idiot", you have replied to.
I'm sure that you are right, I wouldn't lump everyone in with MacTern and AMFAMAN, but I will list a couple of things that drive me crazy about unions and I'll let you or anyone else enlighten me on why they make sense.

1. The idea that the company owes you something. That because you work hard and have stayed at the company a long time the company should give you something out of the ordinary.

2. The idea that the union and the company can never work together, that the relationship should always be adversarial. If the union isn't fighting the company they must have "sold out."

3. Telling customer how bad your job sucks. No one cares! All you do is drive customers away, why would anyone ever want to do this? IT will NOT improve your situation.

4. The idea that because you work in the operation you deserve anything AA makes.

5. The idea that management is stealing from you and making millions. AA's upper management gets paid about as little as any major company, they all could leave for better salaries and for the most part their stock options are worthless. If they're just interested in money why don't they leave?