AA

goingboeing

Veteran
Jan 30, 2004
AA has just announced that they intend to start service from Dallas Love Field.This is due to the Missouri restriction being removed from the Wright Amendment.

source: yahoo airline news

now AA is in the position of having to prove that it will pull down service at DFW in order to fund the DAL service or they will have no credibility.

I give 'em credit for trying but I somehow think it's like peeing into a fan.

now AA is in the position of having to prove that it will pull down service at DFW in order to fund the DAL service or they will have no credibility.

I think AA will go in there with some high frequency RJ flights with a low ball price and cause concern for Southwest.

I think AA will go in there with some high frequency RJ flights with a low ball price and cause concern for Southwest.

RJs won't make enough noise, literally. This isn't the time to be friendly with the surrounding community. AA's mantra that any modifications to the Wright Amendement would lead to catastrophic financial disaster for them and DFW needs the sound of big jets -- and lots of 'em -- to make the neighborhood get fully into their court!

Additionally, they'll have to keep the noise up for at least two years. Congress seems to be willing to give full consideration to the Wright Amendment in 2007. To pull back before then -- or to even turn a profit every now or then -- goes against everything AA and DFW have been trumpeting.

AA will not have to "pull down" DFW. They have said if the WA is repealed. Adding Mo is a long way from totally repealing the WA. Since they will add DAL flights they do have credibility.

AA will not have to "pull down" DFW. They have said if the WA is repealed. Adding Mo is a long way from totally repealing the WA. Since they will add DAL flights they do have credibility.
Any idea where AA will get the aircraft to initiate DAL to MCI/STL service if not from DFW?

It appears that if AA can make this one chink in the WA seem terribly wrong they'll have a stronger case for avoiding a showdown for complete repeal in 2007. Sure it's not the whole enchilada, but this will be a very, very closely watched test case.
:unsure:

Any idea where AA will get the aircraft to initiate DAL to MCI/STL service if not from DFW?

It appears that if AA can make this one chink in the WA seem terribly wrong they'll have a stronger case for avoiding a showdown for complete repeal in 2007. Sure it's not the whole enchilada, but this will be a very, very closely watched test case.
AA has plenty of super 80s sitting in the desert that they could use from DAL to STL/MCI.

<_< aa has twenty eight MD80's setting in the desert waiting to be used!!! Sounds like a good start to me! It would be irronic also! We here at MCI would love to put them back in the sky to kick your butt!!We could put them back in service, and fly them as a revenue flight back to DAL!!! :p

As a business traveler who would you choose. RJ with no overhead, cramped and no booze, or a 737 with overhead, more leg room and booze. WN is know for it frequency between markets for the buiness traveler. Add to that the nickle and diming of change fees, use of sky cap etc and WN ability to have connecting and thru flights at Love, they won't have problems

Rumors of some mainline cities going all RJ (ie CMH, MEM etc.) could be enough spare S80's to start DAL flights.

I think this is really just a waste of resources. We already compete with WN on DFW-SAT, DFW-AUS, DFW-IAH/HOU etc etc. Let WN have 4 737's DAL-STL/MCI and just continue the 11 or 12 DFW-STL/MCI that we alread dominate on. I know that the 4 nonstops that WN are starting wil likely increase but we have held our own on intra-texas flights against WN and CO already.

I think this is really just a waste of resources. We already compete with WN on DFW-SAT, DFW-AUS, DFW-IAH/HOU etc etc. Let WN have 4 737's DAL-STL/MCI and just continue the 11 or 12 DFW-STL/MCI that we alread dominate on. I know that the 4 nonstops that WN are starting wil likely increase but we have held our own on intra-texas flights against WN and CO already.
I completely agree with you but after our executives have been crying their eyes out about the diasterous effects, they have left themselves no choice but to go back into Love Field and get our ass kicked all over the place and kill some of the DFW revenue.

BTW...I personally say bring back the 727's and buzz the rich snobs in Highland Park all night long with those noise makers. That would ensure that this would be the last expansion of the W.A.

It is pretty apparent from the news sources that AA will not use Eagle on these flights. But it would make more sense to use EMB-140's or 145's on these routes as then AA could market connecting service. There is not enough O & D traffic between Dallas and St Louis to justify such a large jump in available seats. Not unless upper management really wants to cut the "company nose off to spite the face".

There is not enough O & D traffic between Dallas and St Louis to justify such a large jump in available seats.

That's why I think this SWA move has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Missouri other than it's another chink in the WA. I think they will load up the route for awhile and then cut back at STL like they did before because the loads just won't justify the frequency.

Hell, I've been surprised that some of our DFW-STL flights haven't been eliminated. Except at holidays, almost none of the flights are ever totally full.

Latest posts