Washington, DC 20016

Captain John McIlvenna, Chairman
America West MEC
Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l
Two Gateway
432 North 44th Street, Suite 340
Phoenix, AZ 85008

Dear Captains Prater and McIlvenna:

As you know, the US Airways pilots’ pay rates are at the bottom of all ALPA carriers. This is an unfortunate result of the 9/11 tragedy, which happened in US Airways' backyard and devastated the entire U.S. airline industry. For our pilots, it has taken $6.8 billion worth of concessions and nearly 2,000 fellow pilots on the street to arrive here at the new US Airways along with our fellow America West ALPA pilots.

We now find ourselves under the employ of a cash-rich company that has the ability to raise over $10 billion to pursue such things as a hostile bid for Delta Airlines. Even with such financial muscle, day after day goes by with our company allowing our pilots to struggle financially, while others prosper from our sacrifices. The end result for all ALPA pilots is a bar set so low that “Taking it Backâ€￾ seems like a distant dream.

The US Airways pilots need financial relief, and there is no question that they deserve the same pay as their Union brother and sister America West pilots. All of our pilots have witnessed 18 months peel off the calendar before management finally delivered their first comprehensive economic proposal. During this long drawn-out JNC process, management time and again controlled the pace of negotiations. Throughout this process, our pilots fully supported the JNC, not only in words, but also by contributing their time and effort to make the goal of successful negotiations a reality.

It has been two long years into this merger and the US Airways MEC, supported by its pilots, has chosen a path to achieve pay parity now as the first step to an industry standard-plus contract. To deliver that message personally to management, the AAA MEC will lead the way with an informational picketing event at our corporate headquarters in Tempe , AZ on Thursday, September 6, 2007. We would greatly appreciate that our National Officers and our brother and sister AWA MEC members assist us in raising the bar now for all ALPA pilots. It will be for the good of the entire pilot group, and we could use your support.

We respectfully ask you to participate and support us for this important event. We are all ALPA pilots, and although we may disagree on how to advance our collective future, our mission—to bring the best returns to our pilot groups—remains the same.

Fraternally,

Captain Jack Stephan
US Airways MEC Chairman

cc: ALPA International Officers

In other words, screw the TA and the AWA pilots - we want, nay demand, the Nicolau award thrown out, and all the money too. I just might start a picket against your picket!!! :angry: Hey west, do you think we can get the rat for our anti-picket??

The funny thing here is I would have stood shoulder to shoulder supporting the east for pay parity day one of the merger. Now, I see nothing but a self-serving agenda that denies AWA pilots an industry leading contract.

MOD NOTE: AGAIN, Do NOT quote entire lengthy posts in your replies, ESPECIALLY when your reply is very near or immediately following the original post. It makes the boards hard to read and wastes bandwidth.

August 30, 2007

Captain John Prater, President
1625 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016

Captain John McIlvenna, Chairman
America West MEC
Two Gateway
432 North 44th Street, Suite 340
Phoenix, AZ 85008

Dear Captains Prater and McIlvenna:

As you know, the US Airways pilots’ pay rates are at the bottom of all ALPA carriers. This is an unfortunate result of the 9/11 tragedy, which happened in US Airways' backyard and devastated the entire U.S. airline industry. For our pilots, it has taken $6.8 billion worth of concessions and nearly 2,000 fellow pilots on the street to arrive here at the new US Airways along with our fellow America West ALPA pilots.

Captain Jack Stephan
US Airways MEC Chairman

cc: ALPA International Officers

In other words, screw the TA and the AWA pilots - we want, nay demand, the Nicolau award thrown out, and all the money too. I just might start a picket against your picket!!! :angry: Hey west, do you think we can get the rat for our anti-picket??

The funny thing here is I would have stood shoulder to shoulder supporting the east for pay parity day one of the merger. Now, I see nothing but a self-serving agenda that denies AWA pilots an industry leading contract.

I wonder if Prater and JohnnyMac will show up?........NOT. Maybe from a distance laughing their you know whats off. But I would take notice if one or two of them did show.

Maybe Stephan should go to the school of "How to Win Friends and Influence Enemies".

Just another ALPA blunder to add to my collection. Just another reason for new representation.

Later Prater

I dont get it.

If the Usairways pilots are so experienced, how are they making pathetic wages? Shouldn't more experience equal more pay? By my calculations you guys should settle for no less than $568/hr.

I mean you do have the experience and long suffering so the pay should equate to your high level of expetise.

You guys rock. Go East!!

According to the August 27 AWA MEC Committee Update "The stock options arbitration that was scheduled for this week has been postponed (not cancelled.) It still remains the goal of the (AWA) MEC to obtain parity on the stock options paid to the East pilots by the most effective means possible."

I believe the US Airways MEC and the East pilots will support the AWA MEC in its quest for stock option parity. Will the AWA MEC support the US Airways pilot's quest for pay parity? It appears the AWA MEC wants to negotiate outside of the TA...

Regards,

USA320Pilot

According to the August 27 AWA MEC Committee Update "The stock options arbitration that was scheduled for this week has been postponed (not cancelled.) It still remains the goal of the (AWA) MEC to obtain parity on the stock options paid to the East pilots by the most effective means possible."

I believe the US Airways MEC and the East pilots will support the AWA MEC in its quest for stock option parity. Will the AWA MEC support the US Airways pilot's quest for pay parity? It appears the AWA MEC wants to negotiate outside of the TA...

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Blah, blah, blah...

Thats ALL we get from U! CM!

Educate yourself!

GL

I dont get it.

If the Usairways pilots are so experienced, how are they making pathetic wages? Shouldn't more experience equal more pay? By my calculations you guys should settle for no less than $568/hr.

I mean you do have the experience and long suffering so the pay should equate to your high level of expetise.

You guys rock. Go East!!
"Before their bankruptcies, for their entire career the US Airways pilots were enjoying industry-leading pay, a defined pension plan (something we never had), work rules -- everything.

"They made their decision to work at USAir; I made mine to work at America West, which, by the way, has historically been the LOWEST paid airline in the U.S. The East pilots have been paid far and above what America West pilots have been paid over the same period of time doing the same job."

I hope this answers you question sir.

Pilots seek to decertify union
Friday, August 31, 2007
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Several Pittsburgh-area pilots are leading a challenge to unseat the Air Line Pilots Association as their union representative at US Airways and replace it with the newly formed US Airline Pilots Association.

The decertification drive is being led by US Airways first officer Stephen Bradford, 53, of McMurray, who joined US Airways in 1986. Mr. Bradford was part of a group "evicted" yesterday from a Charlotte, N.C. crew room "so that [the Air Line Pilots Association] could put on their presentation," according to a press release from the new group.

US Airways spokeswoman Andrea Rader said company policy prohibits employees from soliciting or distributing literature on work time, so a chief pilot "asked them to leave."

The new union, based just outside Philadelphia, claims to have "well over" 2,000 ballots from pilots requesting the National Mediation Board hold a new election. It needs more than half of eligible pilots, as determined by the mediation board, to ask for a new vote.

If an election were held today, with 2000+ supporters, USAPA would win.

But in order to hold an election, we first need to trigger a representational election. We are approaching that number (timing is also very important), but are not there yet.

Still, 2000+ ballots in just a couple of months......dats a spicy mittball!

USA320pilot said the petition with the NMB would be filed on Sept. 1, which is tomorrow, so I expect things will be in high gear in 24 hours. Right, USA320pilot?

Three week's ago Stephen Bradford, USAPA Interim President, and I had two five-hour conversations regarding the Nicolau Award, USAPA, and USAPA's attorney's from Seham, Seham, Meltz, & Petersen. Stephen is very bright, he has a Master's degree, and he knows what he is doing.

He is not "half cocked" and I now understand he has enough cards to "throw" ALPA off of both the US Airways and AWA property. USAPA is seeking more cards to insure they have enough in case the NMB does not allow some cards to be counted during the upcoming vote count.

Expect the NMB Form 1, the Application for Investigation of Representation Dispute, and the required IRS paperwork to be filed very soon. This will formally begin the process to simultaneously remove ALPA from both the US Airways and AWA property with the West pilots the soon-to-be minority party of the new union and union "imposition" about to occur.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Captain John Prater, President
1625 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016

John,

Your failure to lead runs so deep that it actually threatens your continued tenure as ALPA National President. Your actions have resulted in the membership’s total loss of confidence in you and the association. Your statements are mere fragments from disassociated issues separated in both content and time. You have deliberately attempted to persuade our pilot group through inappropriate use of disinformation. Much of your arguments relate to airlines that existed forty years ago and yet you speak of their peril as though it somehow relates. None of it relates to our current emergency.

Most of us have read your letter and are fully aware of its inaccuracy. My belief is that a man in your position does not have the luxury of lying to the very membership who helps pay your salary and to whom you have a duty to fairly represent. I carefully watched your campaign and was hopeful that you were legitimate in your intent to ‘Take it Backâ€. I never would have dreamt that your real intent was to intentionally harm hundreds and hundreds of pilots so severely. You have literally sat back and neglected your duty. It is an atrocity beyond words to knowing allow a flawed award to stand. It violates ALPA policy but more importantly, it violates the trust we have put in you. Let’s face the facts; you know the award is seriously flawed. It is contradictory, it contains reference to events that don’t exist (pay raises and age 60), it treated nearly 400 active US Airways pilots as though they were furloughed resulting in the destruction of their careers. Yes John, the definition of career destruction is sitting back and allowing an 18 year US Airways pilot to suddenly become junior to an America West pilot new hire still on probation.

But the real crime for which you are guilty is in doing nothing. ALPA is a relatively small arm of a much bigger labor organization that has always stood up for the rights of the labor groups. The AFL-CIO has a long history of fighting the big battles and winning. I have never before seen a labor leader sit back and do nothing in the face of such a clear responsibility to act. I find it akin to turning and running away on a battle field when all your peers are counting on you for their survival. Mr. John Prater, you are a true coward and it is my belief that you have put the very association at risk at US Airways.

The amended lawsuit that you have recently received adds $175 million in damages because you have failed to stop the destruction to the careers of the US Airways pilots who flew the E-170 fleet type. That $175 million is a liability that you have now put on every single ALPA member because of your unwillingness to resolve a relatively simple problem. These pilots were not furloughed, you know it, and we will prove it in court.

That one issue alone is sufficient for the award to be vacated and sent back to another arbitrator. It appears quite clear that Nicolau was provided false evidence and based his decision upon perjured testimony. This is in violation of the resolution that allowed for the hiring and paying of George Nicolai. These are only two of the many legal issues for the justification of vacating the award.

John, you are the ultimate authority for signing off on the award. YOU ARE fully aware that the award is a huge windfall to AWA, that is contains numerous inappropriate and conflicting statements that can be positively proven false, that a flawed and unofficial seniority list was presented by AWA and utilized by Nicolau in his ‘decision’, that the award resulted in a huge windfall that violates ALPA merger policy, and that active US Airways pilots were incorrectly treated as furloughed due to Nicolau’s reliance on perjured testimony.

Now it is time for you to be a leader and toss the award in the garbage where it belongs. Start afresh and do it right this time. DO NOT compound the disaster by allowing this Nicolau award to be used in any way. Show the membership that you possess the type of leadership that the AFL-CIO is known for - do what is right for the people you represent. Put ALPA back on the map and give the membership a reason for voting no to decertification. This is a tough call to duty for you. If you really want to ‘TAKE IT BACK then the time to start is right now – with actions and not words.

Fraternally,

Jim Portale,
Secretary/Treasurer
PHL Council 41

USA320Pilot comments: John Prater told many US Airways pilots at this week's meetings that the MDA lawsuit could and is the best way to "throw Out" the Nicolau Award.

Nice try. The stock option issue is being arbitrated because the AWA MEC believes it's covered under the Transition Agreement. Your support would be nice but isn't required.

As far as supporting pay parity you ask us to support a negotiation process outside of the required JNC process. Your side is in violation so don't expect us to join you. The medium for negotiating pay parity (and anything else your hearts desire) is the JNC. As long as you hold us hostage by fighting the Nicolau Award you shouldn't dare ask our side for anything.

Nice try. The stock option issue is being arbitrated because the AWA MEC believes it's covered under the Transition Agreement. Your support would be nice but isn't required.

As far as supporting pay parity you ask us to support a negotiation process outside of the required JNC process. Your side is in violation so don't expect us to join you. The medium for negotiating pay parity (and anything else your hearts desire) is the JNC. As long as you hold us hostage by fighting the Nicolau Award you shouldn't dare ask our side for anything.

Next year when this thing is still separate and the decision is finally made by your side to enter section 6 talks, will you want the East's support? You should and the support should be given.

Bottom line is you want our seniority at any cost and we aren't going to budge. It doesn't have to keep us separate on every issue, but it apparently will. It's amazing for a group that would never want to come East and fly our bases or equipment, how you hold the Nicalou award up as the first priority.

Is your frustration really a failure in JNC talks, or the fact that Damn Lottery office(East Seniority), won't open and let you cash that lottery ticket(Nicalou). I know it has to be frustrating and I am sure some lecture will ensue about "binding arbitration" that you are "forced" into by ALPA merger policy. There is no choice in the matter. I mean it is "policy" right? Or is it "guidelines"? I forget which one it is this week, or maybe there was no requirement to enter arbitration, since it was a guideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts