AAG had 113,300 employees as of Dec. 31. That’s up nearly 3,000

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/american-airlines-group-grows-by-2900-employees-in-2014-and-other-tidbits-from-aags-annual-report.html/

AAG had 113,300 employees as of Dec. 31. Thats up nearly 3,000 from the 110,400 as of Dec. 31, 2013. Of that, American added 1,500 employees, 700 at US Airways and 700 at the three wholly owned regional carriers.
Job 2014 2013 Change
Pilots 16,200 15,400 800
Flight attendants 25,400 24,800 600
Maintenance personnel 16,100 16,800 -700
Fleet service personnel 17,300 14,600 2,700
Passenger service personnel 22,500 22,900 -400
Administrative and other 15,800 15,900 -100
Total 113,300 110,400 2,900

Reactions: 1 person
john john said:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/american-airlines-group-grows-by-2900-employees-in-2014-and-other-tidbits-from-aags-annual-report.html/

AAG had 113,300 employees as of Dec. 31. Thats up nearly 3,000 from the 110,400 as of Dec. 31, 2013. Of that, American added 1,500 employees, 700 at US Airways and 700 at the three wholly owned regional carriers.
Job 2014 2013 Change
Pilots 16,200 15,400 800
Flight attendants 25,400 24,800 600
Maintenance personnel 16,100 16,800 -700
Fleet service personnel 17,300 14,600 2,700
Passenger service personnel 22,500 22,900 -400
Administrative and other 15,800 15,900 -100
Total 113,300 110,400 2,900
is that the ramp? 

Cause WT says AA is doing nothing but making cuts on the ramp....so that has to be something else. 

700UW said:
They are hiring on the ramp and ave been for a bit.

WeAAsles posted it.
They're in the process of hiring about 400 in DFW. My friend just started 4 days ago. And we've had a few hundred here in MIA and they interviewed 200 people just today.

I'm not sure but I've heard other stations are hiring as well.

Maintenance Personnel -700 that's that Ironclad Scope Overspeed touts!
There have been dozens of Fleet Crew Chief positions on Jetnet the past few months not to mention hundreds of Analysts and other management positions!

is that the ramp? 

Cause WT says AA is doing nothing but making cuts on the ramp....so that has to be something else.
holy cow you are dense.

I said NOWHERE that AA was cutting personnel.

find it, Einstein.

AA is overstaffed to the tune of tens of thousands of employees compared to DL and UA based on the same amount of revenue they produce...and Tulsa doesn't come close to explaining it.

there will be major cuts coming at AA.

WorldTraveler said:
holy cow you are dense.

I said NOWHERE that AA was cutting personnel.

find it, Einstein.

AA is overstaffed to the tune of tens of thousands of employees compared to DL and UA based on the same amount of revenue they produce...and Tulsa doesn't come close to explaining it.

there will be major cuts coming at AA.
Unlike at Delta where they can do whatever they want, AA has contracts that protect people. Its called scope. 

Reactions: 4 people
Unlike at Delta where they can do whatever they want, AA has contracts that protect people. Its called scope.
you can call it whatever you want but when a company within an industry has tens of thousands more employees than its competitors that are supposed to cost the same amount in total compensation but generates nearly the same amount of revenue, it is NOT sustainable for AA to continue to maintain pay parity with its competitors but generate very little additional revenue.

AAL group's total operating revenue for 2014 was $42.7M vs $40.3M for DL group which had 80K employees and UA group which generated $39M and had 84K employees.

there simply is not enough of a difference between the level of outsourcing between AA, DL, and UA to explain how DL and UA can generate within a couple percent of the amount of revenue that AA does but with 30K less employees.

like it or not, but there will be deep cuts at AA in the near future to bring AA's employee numbers in line with its competitors.

all data can be found in carrier annual reports which were released this month.

no, it says that I can read financial statements and figure out how to apply it.

Parker is giving you a pass for now because of low fuel prices and so he can get the merger finished.

He has NO CHOICE but to cut AA's costs in the future to be in line with other carriers.

It will happen and it has nothing to do with me.

It's great that AA wants to increase employment and help the middle class - where DL wants to outsource and drive wages down

topDawg said:

Precisely - once again illustrating what many of us have long said.  Absent unions, Delta has far more freedom to outsource (i.e., all of its overhauls to third parties in the U.S. and other countries) and/or to effectively outsource (i.e., to lower-cost, lower-benefits Ready Reserve).

AA has less of that freedom because of its contractual scope clause provisions, and thus why there are not only more AA FTEs, but also why they make less, on average, than their Delta counterparts.

First, in order to maintain competitiveness, AA and its unions - including the TWU - made the decision (consciously, I believe) to trade off headcount against pay so the union could keep dues rolling in.

Secondly, AA's union-contract-protected employees assume less risk of their employer arbitrarily outsourcing their job or unilaterally cutting their pay and/or benefits, and thus - because with risk comes reward - the Delta workers, whose employer is largely free to do this at will, are obviously compensated for that risk they assume.

This is economics 101.

blah, blah.

AA and US' level of outsourcing is now nearly identical to DL's... which is exactly what happened when DL bought NW that had decimated its maintenance workforce.

you can harp on the outsourcing wagon all you want but AA is in the VERY SAME position of outsourcing as DL... the difference is that DL is BRINGING work back in - via the engine jobs and mainline aircraft additions while AA is outsourcing overhauls that AA has long done inhouse and SHRINKING its mainline fleet.

yes, we know that AA and the TWU kept headcount up.

problem is that AA employees expect that AA will pay industry standard wages now.... that is what they gave the pilots and FAs.

AA can't pay industry standard wages (or DL scale plus 7 even without profit sharing) and sustain 30K additional employees.

given that DL employees are well above their peers at AA and UA in terms of average compensation as well as they have seen faster and larger increases in total compensation, your dirt throwing can only be seen as the spilled milk whining that it is.

if you had a clue about economics, you would be able to read expense statements and figure it out.

I sure don't want the good frontline employees of AA to get hurt but you really need to learn a lesson or two.

There is a big hiring push across the system. They have already announced some 7500 new psoitions. 1000 in Rez alone. I also hear a big Mechanic hiring spree is about to happen?

Latest posts