AAto Roll Out Entertainment on Demand Across Entire Wi-Fi Narrowbody Fleet

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
American Airlines today announces the expansion of entertainment on demand – the airline's inflight streaming video product – to approximately 400 Wi-Fi enabled aircraft by the end of 2012. American, a founding member of the oneworld® Alliance, was the first North American airline to offer inflight streaming video, which enables customers to wirelessly stream content such as movies and TV shows from an inflight library to select Wi-Fi-enabled laptops during flights.

The entertainment on demand product is currently available onboard American Airlines flights operated by 15 767-200 aircraft – primarily transcontinental flights between New York JFK and Los Angeles and JFK and San Francisco. In addition, the streaming video product will be installed on more than 90 MD-80 aircraft before the end of 2011. The remainder of the Wi-Fi-enabled fleet, including additional MD-80 aircraft and Boeing 737-800 aircraft, will be equipped with streaming video by the end of 2012.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/American-Airlines-to-Roll-Out-prnews-3913089354.html?x=0&.v=1

TV shows for $0.99 each and movies for $3.99 each. Dunno how many will whip out their credit cards, but at least it's an unbundled potential source of more revenue.

I think this is a great move. I have to admit, several years ago when other airlines were touting their individual video screens in seat backs, I kept thinking to myself, "Why does AA choose to stay so uncompetitive and behind the times and not keep up with inflight customer entertainment system technology?" The reason: I don't know, but now it doesn't matter because in recent years I've totally changed my mind on the subject. Just walk through the cabin on most flights and you'll see so many people watching what they want on their own devices. In hindsight I'm glad AA didn't install individual video screens, thereby saving money on installation and fuel costs from the added weight. Most everyone travels with their own entertainment system these day. But the age-old problem still remains: getting passengers to turn the damn things off at the appropriate time!!

Reactions: 2 people
Cue the "they have money for passenger product and facility improvements but not pay increases" comments...

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Another waste of money. With I-pods, I-pads, laptops and super cheap dvd players most flyers bring their own entertainment on board. Plus with the MD-80 slated to be retired how likely is it that the revenue generated will exceeed the costs of procurement, installion, maintenance and extra fuel burnt carrying the system around? If anything it will create customer dissatifaction when they extpect it to be available and they get on board only to find out that Aircraft isnt equiped, much like GoGo now.

Another waste of money. With I-pods, I-pads, laptops and super cheap dvd players most flyers bring their own entertainment on board. Plus with the MD-80 slated to be retired how likely is it that the revenue generated will exceeed the costs of procurement, installion, maintenance and extra fuel burnt carrying the system around? If anything it will create customer dissatifaction when they extpect it to be available and they get on board only to find out that Aircraft isnt equiped, much like GoGo now.
Typical AA, day late and a dollar short !!

I think this is a great move. I have to admit, several years ago when other airlines were touting their individual video screens in seat backs, I kept thinking to myself, "Why does AA choose to stay so uncompetitive and behind the times and not keep up with inflight customer entertainment system technology?" The reason: I don't know, but now it doesn't matter because in recent years I've totally changed my mind on the subject. Just walk through the cabin on most flights and you'll see so many people watching what they want on their own devices. In hindsight I'm glad AA didn't install individual video screens, thereby saving money on installation and fuel costs from the added weight. Most everyone travels with their own entertainment system these day. But the age-old problem still remains: getting passengers to turn the damn things off at the appropriate time!!

AA made a decision several years ago to not move with the industry towards seat-back AVOD IFE. On the long-haul fleet, I think eventually AA will have to move in that direction. But for domestic and short-/medium-haul, I think this approach is probably more sensible. It has a much lower up-front cash outlay, lower maintenance costs going forward and lower fuel burn (weighs much less). Given all that, this would seem - depending on how the technology evolves - to be a good investment to keep AA at least reasonably competitive with other carriers' AVOD, but at a much lower cost and thus probably a much faster payback period.

Another waste of money. With I-pods, I-pads, laptops and super cheap dvd players most flyers bring their own entertainment on board.

I think that's exactly the point. If most people now bring their own devices - albeit not necessarily always their own content - AA is using a system that costs dramatically less both up-front and over the long-term and can provide just the content, without having to invest more to also provide the device (i.e., the screen). AA pays relatively little to install it, and then gets a cut of each time somebody uses it. That's more money coming in. Why do you object to that?

Plus with the MD-80 slated to be retired how likely is it that the revenue generated will exceeed the costs of procurement, installion, maintenance and extra fuel burnt carrying the system around?

Not really sure what your point is here. If you're referring specifically to the 90 MD80s that will be getting this mod to the existing WiFi system by YE11, and the additional MD80s to get it in 2012, I would imagine the company has already done that math in terms of the install work (really mod work, it sounds like) cost up-front versus the payback period given how long those planes will be in the fleet. It sounds like AA is putting this streaming video product on the MD80s that already have the GoGo WiFi system, and I would imagine - others would probably know more - that AA is expecting those MD80s to be the last ones to retire.

If anything it will create customer dissatifaction when they extpect it to be available and they get on board only to find out that Aircraft isnt equiped, much like GoGo now.

Well, GoGo now is on a lot of planes - and being installed on more as we speak. They're getting there. I agree they should have put GoGo on the 737s and 757s much faster - Delta has it on their entire domestic fleet already. Nonetheless, for the MD80s that AA plans to retire in the next few years, it just doesn't make sense - as you suggested - to pay to mod those planes. Plus, with 400+ new 737s and A320s arriving over the next decade, all to have these systems pre-installed, I'd say the "customer dissatisfaction" issue - to the extent that it exists at all - will soon be addressed.

with the MD-80 slated to be retired how likely is it that the revenue generated will exceeed the costs of procurement, installion, maintenance and extra fuel burnt carrying the system around? If anything it will create customer dissatifaction when they extpect it to be available and they get on board only to find out that Aircraft isnt equiped, much like GoGo now.

My understanding is that GoGo is a lot like wifi at a hotel -- Aircell owns and maintains the equipment, and AA get a share of the revenue for having allowed Aircell access to a captive audience.

Similar business models were used with Skymall, AirPhone, and Inflight magazines. AA didn't pay for them. The retailer/phone company/publisher did. AA just provided the audience.

I've always been in the "let passengers bring their own devices" camp, in part because the technology keeps changing. Look at the old 8mm tape system formerly used in international F, followed by the portable DVD players followed by the Archos units and soon to be replaced by the new Samsung Galaxy tablets. Built-in systems look heavy and quickly become outdated. Let passengers bring their own hardware, as nearly everyone owns and brings some form of player and screen with them when they travel. Selling them some content looks like a winner of an idea - if passengers are willing to pay.

At least HQ isn't talking about giving it away.

IMO, providing 110v in-seat power or, if that's too complex, then DC power is the ticket. Add to that some reasonably priced wi-fi and let the passengers own and carry the hardware.

I've always been in the "let passengers bring their own devices" camp, in part because the technology keeps changing. Look at the old 8mm tape system formerly used in international F, followed by the portable DVD players followed by the Archos units and soon to be replaced by the new Samsung Galaxy tablets. Built-in systems look heavy and quickly become outdated. Let passengers bring their own hardware, as nearly everyone owns and brings some form of player and screen with them when they travel. Selling them some content looks like a winner of an idea - if passengers are willing to pay.

At least HQ isn't talking about giving it away.

IMO, providing 110v in-seat power or, if that's too complex, then DC power is the ticket. Add to that some reasonably priced wi-fi and let the passengers own and carry the hardware.

I agree but AA has to do something to address it's inflight entertainment on the 767-300 fleet.
The 767-300 fly routes over 10 hours and not having VOD system in economy is below
industry standard.

I agree but AA has to do something to address it's inflight entertainment on the 767-300 fleet.
The 767-300 fly routes over 10 hours and not having VOD system in economy is below
industry standard.

My view? AA should offer to rent the new Galaxy tablets to long-haul 763 economy passengers for a modest rental fee. I think Alaska has been doing that with its portable IFE on transcons. Built-in equipment is heavy, screens are small and will be obsolete much faster than we can imagine.

What about theft/failure to turn them in at the end of the flight? Require that passengers hand over something valuable as collateral, like ID/passport/credit cards, etc. to be returned when the unit is returned to the FA.

On a related note, JAL has announced that it will offer wifi on its long-haul international flights. I thought that AA was looking into international wifi (GoGo is cell-tower based, so it won't work over the oceans). Any word on AA adopting long-haul wifi? It's one thing to offer wifi on 2-3 hour MD-80 flights - I can go without being connected for a couple hours, but on 12-15 hour flights between the USA and Asia?

FWAA. I guess you have never been a flight attendant.
It would me a mess to rent tablet to almost 200 pax's.
It's already a pain just dealing with 30 Bose headsets
In business class. Sorry but that won't work in economy
just like you mention theft, missing units, etc.
Absolutely not;it won't work on its long-haul international flights.

I didn't mean stock 200 of them to rent to everyone onboard (although if AA could rent 200 per flight, you'd need and could pay for a couple additional IFE-only FAs) - just the 20-30-40 or so people who didn't bring their own wifi-capable smartphone or tablet or laptop, etc. I can understand (and I see it often) the difficulty the biz class FAs have with goofing around with the Archos and the BOSE headsets. I've carried my own BOSE with me for more than 10 years and politely decline the AA-provided BOSE on my flights. One benefit is that I get to use them from the 10k ding until "Please prepare for landing," while other passengers have to wait for distribution and must turn them in earlier.

AA doesn't stock (or sell) 200 Boston Market sandwiches on each 763 transcon and I doubt it would rent more than a couple or three dozen tablets in economy on an international flight. As Owens points out, seems like everyone already carries their own hardware - my family does. The kids have iPhones and lightweight tablets, so they'd pass on the rentals. We don't just carry that hardware for entertaining ourselves on the flight, we bring it for use during the entire trip, so rental tablets wouldn't cause us to leave our stuff at home.

You may still be right that it wouldn't work but not because you'd have 200 takers at $8 or $10 or $12 per trip. Overnight redeye flights would presumably see little demand but the daytime return flights would, of course, have higher demand. And to South America, where both flights are overnights, I can't see much demand.

It just seems wasteful to acquire and carry around 200 postcard-size seatback screens when so many passengers have nicer, larger, wifi-capable devices in their carryons. And as lightweight tablets get cheaper each year (as all electronic devices do) and more and more people buy them, in 2-4 years or so, you might only have 5-10 passengers per flight who didn't bring some form of electronic IFE.

You don't even need for the tablets to be stocked on the airplane.

Put up some RedBox style kiosks at the bigger airports. Rent them by the day, and the customer can return it on their way back.

Reactions: 2 people
I traveled on one of the entertainment streaming equipped 762s on LAX-JFK and was underwhelmed. I only browsed through the selections and it seemed there was a bit of a lag in the system. The FA said the outbound leg was having trouble too and reported it. They keep saying these Samsung tablets are coming but I'm yet to see one.

That is precisely the point, passengers use their own equipment rather than AA install the expensive equipment that quickly becomes obsolete. Just look at Virgin America they have a relatively new Panasnoic eFx system similar to DL and is already going ahead installing High definition widescreen monitors and a different back end system. AA still has Rockwell Collins analog monitors on the 777s! The international 757 monitors are slightly better and have a better moving map. Who manufactured that system?

Josh

Latest posts