? about AA's Future Fleet

PhillyAir5

Mar 8, 2006
I'm aware that AA flies mainly MD-80's. But these are soon to be out-dated aircraft. Being in Philadelphia, we don't see much of AA. We only have a 3 flights a day to Chicago and Dallas. I was just curious to see if AA was gonna be going in a different direction in terms of its fleet. Thanks.

AA is not scheduled to start taking deliveries of more 737's till after 2010. So the the MD-80's will be around for a while. Maybe by the time AA starts looking to replace all the MD-80's Boeing might have decided on a succesor to the 737.

As far as the rest of the fleet goes my guess would be that the 787 will be ordered to replace the A300 and 767's.

AA is not scheduled to start taking deliveries of more 737's till after 2010. So the the MD-80's will be around for a while. Maybe by the time AA starts looking to replace all the MD-80's Boeing might have decided on a succesor to the 737.

As far as the rest of the fleet goes my guess would be that the 787 will be ordered to replace the A300 and 767's.

As discussed in other forums, I think the days of the widebody aircraft are over. The days of the MIA-MCO flights with A300 will no longer exist.

As discussed in other forums, I think the days of the widebody aircraft are over. The days of the MIA-MCO flights with A300 will no longer exist.

Why would you think that widebody aircraft days are over? Why would the MIA-MCO flights on A-300 be over when they are always full?

Why would you think that widebody aircraft days are over? Why would the MIA-MCO flights on A-300 be over when they are always full?

I'm assuming that the OP is talking about www.airliners.net discussions of this article:

Where have all the widebodies gone?

Sure, there are fewer widebody domestic flights than in the old days, but widebodies are here to stay on routes where they make sense. And in the winter, it looks like A300s on MIA-MCO make sense.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='361098' date='Mar 8 2006, 07:27 PM']Didn't AA "wet lease" some of their 737-800's to Quantas?[/quote]

Not a wet lease - an outright sale. Post-September 11, 2001, AA teamed up with Boeing to sell to Qantas a bunch of 738s that AA had ordered.

I'm not talking about domestic widebody routes. And if you look at the trend among legacy carriers you will see they are focusing more on international routes since they don't have to compete with LCC's. Kind of hard to fly a 737 ORD-NRT.

==========================================================

PhillyAir5,

Your post raised my curiosity a bit, so I "looked into it"

As of the next AA schedule change(Apr 3/4) AA has "10" N/S flights from JFK to LAX. ALL "10" are 767 Widebodys.

AA has 5 N/S flights per day from JFK to SFO.
All 5 flights are 767 Widebodys !!

So, with "15" daily flights to the California coast,
"15" are "ALL" WIDEBODY AIRCRAFT

NO other US Airline Comes ANYWHERE "Close" !!

Not Bad for a carrier, who is reducing domestic capacity.

When those BRUTAL winter Jet Streams start blowing very hard, west to east, AA IS'NT pulling into SLC, or DEN, or MCI, for a "fill up"

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
NO other US Airline Comes ANYWHERE "Close" !!
Close to what?

The number of domestic widebody flights? I'd bet UA is close, if not more.

The number of widebodies JFK-LAX/SFO? In that case, yes no airline flies near as many widebodies, because UA decided to serve that market with a superior product.

So were the Miami to Frankfort flights. AA used 767-300's until they pulled the flight several years back.

I'm aware that AA flies mainly MD-80's. But these are soon to be out-dated aircraft. Being in Philadelphia, we don't see much of AA. We only have a 3 flights a day to Chicago and Dallas. I was just curious to see if AA was gonna be going in a different direction in terms of its fleet. Thanks.

Speaking of outdated aircraft, Airbus just announced that the A-300/A310 line will come to an end next year. Not soon enough.

Maybe AA should swap the A300 for the A330.

So were the Miami to Frankfort flights. AA used 767-300's until they pulled the flight several years back.
Speaking of outdated aircraft, Airbus just announced that the A-300/A310 line will come to an end next year. Not soon enough.

Maybe AA should swap the A300 for the A330.

I hear that Airbus would like AA as another American customer for the A350 or A330. Since Airbus likes to make sweet deals, they can possibly help AA unload the aging A300 fleet.

I thought AA was dead set against having a mixed airline fleet? That's why we went all Boeing. I would guess with the additional training any cost benefit Airbus gave us would be off set.