Above and beyond..

Fly4Free

Veteran
May 31, 2006
Wherever.
Visit site
The following letter was submitted by Kris Walton, Shift Manager, CLT.

Several weeks ago, we had a tremendous medical emergency in CLT at gate B11. We had a customer give birth in the jetway at 6 months gestation. The mother was on her way to PNS. Sadly, after the mother and infant were taken to a nearby hospital, the baby passed away. Customer Service Agent Colleen Buckner-Fields went above and beyond the call of duty to help the customer. She called the hospital to ask if there was anything she could do to asist. The customer's request to Colleen was to have her call the father and let him know what happened. Through her conversation with the father, Colleen found that he was serving in the United States Military and stationed in PNS. She offered to help him with travel arrangements, but he said that he did not have the money to pay for a ticket. Colleen purchased a ticket for the father (!) to come to Charlotte and offered to transport him from the airport. Additionally, she was in contact with the funeral home to help make arrangements for the baby. Colleen is the kind of person that makes me proud to be a member of the US Airways team.

PERSONALIZED Colleen's sympathetic approach with this customer and her family demonstrates our commitment to recognizing our customers individual needs. Thanks, Colleen, for making US fly!

Several weeks ago, we had a tremendous medical emergency in CLT at gate B11. We had a customer give birth in the jetway at 6 months gestation. The mother was on her way to PNS. Sadly, after the mother and infant were taken to a nearby hospital, the baby passed away. Customer Service Agent Colleen Buckner-Fields went above and beyond the call of duty to help the customer. She called the hospital to ask if there was anything she could do to asist. The customer's request to Colleen was to have her call the father and let him know what happened. Through her conversation with the father, Colleen found that he was serving in the United States Military and stationed in PNS. She offered to help him with travel arrangements, but he said that he did not have the money to pay for a ticket. Colleen purchased a ticket for the father (!) to come to Charlotte and offered to transport him from the airport. Additionally, she was in contact with the funeral home to help make arrangements for the baby. Colleen is the kind of person that makes me proud to be a member of the US Airways team.

PERSONALIZED Colleen's sympathetic approach with this customer and her family demonstrates our commitment to recognizing our customers individual needs. Thanks, Colleen, for making US fly!

Way to go Colleen!! These events happen so many more times than we know and are why many DO love US. Perhaps commercials showing this kind of spirit would be more beneficial then present ones.

The mother was on her way to PNS. Sadly, after the mother and infant were taken to a nearby hospital, the baby passed away. Customer Service Agent Colleen Buckner-Fields went above and beyond the call of duty to help the customer. She called the hospital to ask if there was anything she could do to asist.

sky high states: WONDERFUL JOB. Colleen.
Does this airline offer any award for such excellent service?.....remember years ago, the CARELINE AWARD.

only stating opinions.

:D :D This is such a wondefrul act of kindness - forget the recognizing the customer crap. This was a wonderful woman with a HUGE heart and a conscience that cares for her fellow human being(s). Thanks Colleen for being an OUSTANDING woman of character, kindness and love. It has nothing to do with customer ervice - how pathetic for u or anyone to characterize it as such.... God Bless u Colleen, and best of luck to Mom and Dad in this time of grief.

Collen:

As a former Shift Manager, and employee of US Airways; I can only say BRAVO.

Normally I just read the postings and say oh well some other rumor, some other rant. But I have to tell you that this is real empathy. I applaud you. Very loudly.

So many times, the agents that pull those tickets and scan them are taken for grsnted. Just another stop before reaching that seat to get on and get where you're headed.

Although I'm sure you did what you did, because it was in your nature to do so; the Charlotte Observer didn't carry it nor the Philadelphia Enquirer. It didn't matter to you if you were made a fuss of, but you affected a family in a time of need.

So from those of us who care, Thank You. I'm sure that woman and her husband will never forget the agent at B11.

Colleen has a heart as big as West Virginia!!!(she's from CRW). Way to go Colleen!

I loved...loved reading this. Thank you for posting something that gave me such a good feeling and is actually connected to my job!

forget the recognizing the customer crap. This was a wonderful woman with a HUGE heart and a conscience that cares for her fellow human being(s). .... It has nothing to do with customer ervice - how pathetic for u or anyone to characterize it as such
Sorry, I just copy/pasted what was written about her. I didn't contribute any personal thoughts or feelings in that post. By me posting it is my way of thanking her for having the warmness and caring that she has.

This was an act of a person that has a special place for them in the other world. It goes WAY beyond the skills of customer service.

way to go Collen! My prayers and sympathies to the parents who lost their child. their is no greater pain than that. and for that my sypathies go out to them