ACAA wants DCA slots

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Air Carrier Assn. of America (a front for AirTran, Frontier, and Spirit) has petitioned the DOT to revoke the slots awarded to AWA under AIR-21 and Vision 100 programs. These slots are used for PHX-DCA and LAS-DCA flights.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf94/372577_web.pdf

ACAA says that LCC no longer qualifies as a holder of the former AWA slots. I'm sure AWA/LCC asked the DOT for an advisory opinion on this matter prior to the merger, and I would guess they got a favorable reply. ACAA, however, seems to have the letter of the law on their side.

Unless the DOT revokes the slots, this will probably end up in some US district court or other.

Air Carrier Assn. of America (a front for AirTran, Frontier, and Spirit) has petitioned the DOT to revoke the slots awarded to AWA under AIR-21 and Vision 100 programs. These slots are used for PHX-DCA and LAS-DCA flights.

Hmmm. I hadn't heard of the ACAA. Went to their website and it is, as you said, nothing but a front for those 3 airlines - the only air carrier members of the ACAA!

http://www.acaa1.com

By promoting the availability of low-fare service, we (ACAA) have allowed American travelers to:

Visit family members - Like you could not see them before.
Go away to school - Sorry johnny the fare to harvard is a no go.
Take hard-earned vacations - Was anybody not taking vacations before?
Receive important medical treatment - I've got some good news, the heart has arrived, but the insurance won't pay the fare.
Visit hometown and see old friend - Proofread people!!
Provide valuable travel experiences for children and families - As opposed to nonvaluable trips on other airlines who also happen to fly to europe unlike some airlines out there.
Be there for the birth of a child or to be with a loved one - OK, this is below the belt.
Make valuable face-to-face contacts for business - I guess the plague ended when ACAA started.
Take last minute trips - Please don't make me laugh businesses may hate paying more but if they did not the plane would sell out before their last minute plans to fly.

What a crock, I can hear the violin playing in the background. The only thing the old management did well was get all those DCA slots. Is it true that this association was formed to try to avoid paying the highers dues of IATA?