Accountability Vs US Airways

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
I'm working on a presentation and I was looking around the web and I came across the following item regarding accountability. I took a break and checked e-mail and I really got to thinking about the Accountability and what it means. Especially as it applies to Senior Management at US Airways. So here is what i found:

10 Things You’ll Never Hear From a Truly Accountable Person
1. I did my part; I can’t help it if other people didn’t do theirs.

2. Nobody gave me a deadline, so I just figured I had all the time in the world to do it.

3. I never really did agree with the decision, but I wasn’t about to say that to my boss.

4. What a mess—someday someone should really clean this up.

5. They never tell us anything!

6. Performance reviews are just a formality; I never take the suggestions seriously.

7. There’s almost no chance that I’ll finish on time, but I’m not going to tell anyone–things might still magically come together at the last moment.

8. People keep giving me more and more work, but I’m afraid if I say “no†to it, I’ll get in trouble.

9. I could see it wasn’t being done right, but it’s not my job to correct other people’s work.

10. I did the best I could, but I wasn’t really sure what you wanted

Wouldn’t the customer experience be better if no one ever said things like this? Certainly the workplace would be more efficient if these phrases became obsolete. Why? Because they are all symptoms of a common problem—a lack of accountability. These comments are made by people who don’t:

Take responsibility for themselves, their work and even the success of their team
• Seek clarity (including asking about objectives and deadlines) before undertaking a task
• Understand that being accountable includes holding others accountable for what they’ve said they’ll do
• “Manage upwards†(make sure they proactively get the information they need fromtheir supervisor or leader)
• Speak up when they disagree and/or when they’re overloaded with work

Organizations can do themselves a great service by training and coaching people in these types accountability behaviors. For where there are individuals and teams focused on accountability, improved results and greater success are sure to follow.

If you woek the front line at US, be honest and tell us what behaviors you typically observe from immediate supervisors towards their supervisors? Do they hold themselves accountable? In the above context accountability doesn't mean threatening and intimidating people into doing what you want.

As a customer what do you observe from US that shows that as a company they demonstrate their accountability to you as a customer?

I'm most curious to read the replies to the above. To me a classic question would be, How did Doug hold himself accountable to his employees when he was arrested, convicted & sentenced? Was his level of personal accountability acceptable? Examine your own accountability,

MOD NOTE:

If you want to discuss the TOPIC fine, but do NOT attack the poster.

Posts deleted, member suspended.....

Little to no accountability.
Case in point- phone in jetway doesn't work. Agent advised a manager. Three days later there is a problem on the plane and agent tries to call to the podium to get help. Agent has to run up the jetway to get info since phone still not fixed. Supv/manager ask agent after flight leaves why they took a delay. Agent advises they tried to call and the phone didnt work even though the same manager was advised the phone didnt work 3 days earlier. Oh, ok. No problem then.
Yeah, there is, the phone still isnt working and now you know about it two times. FIX IT!

I'm working on a presentation and I was looking around the web and I came across the following item regarding accountability. I took a break and checked e-mail and I really got to thinking about the Accountability and what it means. Especially as it applies to Senior Management at US Airways.

I'm most curious to read the replies to the above. To me a classic question would be, How did Doug hold himself accountable to his employees when he was arrested, convicted & sentenced? Was his level of personal accountability acceptable? Examine your own accountability,

What is your beef with US? Obviously they have wronged you on many occasions (as I can tell by just about every post of yours here and on other websites) but what purpose does it serve to keep knocking the airline?? If you arent happy with something move on.. Also, do you really need to bring up Doug Parker's DUI issue. Its old news!!

I will say this though, what you posted (minus the hatred towards US) is very true. It can apply to any person or any company for that matter.

I will say this though, what you posted (minus the hatred towards US) is very true. It can apply to any person or any company for that matter.

That was my point! How does it apply at US.

You chose to make your post about me and whether it's old news, new news or in between or not, Doug Parkers conduct is at issues as it goes directly to accountability, credibility, trustworthyness and a host of other descriptors that are often used by senior executives at as you pointed out any/every company as punch lines in the cruel joke that passes for corporate ethics.

In my experience, companies that hold their employees and the corporate entity accountable also tend to perform at superior level financially.