Add Air Canada To The Mix?

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Sept. 26 (Bloomberg) -- ACE Aviation Holdings Inc.'s Air
Canada unit would consider a merger with US Airways Group Inc. if
laws were changed to allow combinations between U.S. and Canadian
carriers, La Presse newspaper reported, citing an interview with
ACE Aviation Chief Executive Robert Milton.
ACE Aviation earlier this year agreed to buy 7 percent of US
Airways and America West Holdings Corp., which are preparing to
merge to create the sixth-biggest U.S. airline. The resulting
company will keep the US Airways name.
Consolidation among North American carriers is inevitable, La
Presse cited Milton as saying.
Once the business climate becomes more favorable, merging
with US Airways ``will be a perfect opportunity,'' La Presse cited
Milton as saying. Air Canada isn't working on such a transaction
``but I can't say that it won't happen,'' Milton told the paper.

Congress has no desire to change ownership laws, and have told the British as such. My congressman has committed to me to never vote to allow a change in the law.

DENVER, CO

But, don't forget what Mark Twain once said...

"Imagine you had a member of Congress. Now, imagine that he was a crook. Ah, but I repeat myself."

and,

"There is no American native criminal class. Other than Congress."

Yeah...

And If I told you UAL, DAL, NWA, and USAir were to all be in bankruptcy protection five years ago you would have laughed yourself silly.

If I told you a year ago that US Airways would not only be able to survive, but merge and carry on it's name you would have called me crazy.

One thing I learned about aviation so far is never say never pal.

Probable, no. Possible, yeah...

ua767fo said:
Congress has no desire to change ownership laws, and have told the British as such. My congressman has committed to me to never vote to allow a change in the law.

DENVER, CO
[post="305562"][/post]​
Why are they so firm on that? Other industries have foriegn ownership. Baffles the mind at what Congress does.

ua767fo said:

DENVER, CO
[post="305562"][/post]​
There was a fine congressman in NC who was committed to voting against CAFTA but as they say money talks you know the rest. Never say Never!

Foreign ownership laws will not be repealed because if the legacies obtain foreign investors, they will have even less incentive to reduce capacity which is exactly what plenty of people recognize needs to happen to heal industry woes.

WorldTraveler said:
Foreign ownership laws will not be repealed because if the legacies obtain foreign investors, they will have even less incentive to reduce capacity which is exactly what plenty of people recognize needs to happen to heal industry woes.
[post="305770"][/post]​
WorldTraveler, The so-called "Legacy" carriers are not the ones that are adding capacity to the domestic system...

insp89 said:
WorldTraveler, The so-called "Legacy" carriers are not the ones that are adding capacity to the domestic system...
[post="305772"][/post]​

Now now...you know how people are. If legacies add capacity...its flooding the market (lets leave Northwest out of this one for arguments sake :D ). If a LCC adds capacity its competition to help the little guy. Of course now that US is a hybrid...I have no idea how this applies.

insp89 said:
[post="305772"][/post]​

I think you'd be surprised......

Most legacy carriers operated more domestic seat miles (capacity) in August 2005 than August 2004. Even US, while parking airplanes, basically broke even by adding Express ASM's as fast as mainline domestic ASM's decreased.

Besides, it not generic "capacity" that's the problem - as others have said, the load factors show that's false. It's unprofitable capacity that's the problem, and that's not LCC capacity in general.

Jim

Latest posts