Advise to a Ramp CSM

REPUS

Apr 27, 2006
It has been a long time since I posted anything in the forums. I have however come by from time to time and read some very interesting topics. This community is clearly manned by many many years of experiences. With that said, what advise would some of the Ramp have for a NEW RAMP CSM or any CSM for that matter.

Why this question? Well I'm glad you asked.

I have recently accepted an offer for a Ramp CSM with AA. I have been in aviation for 13 years and have spent 90% of that on the ramp. The last 3-4 years have allowed me to move into the Management part of Ramp Operations but deep down, I'm all RAMP.

So what should I expect from AA RAMP FOLKS? I have no UNION experience and I have been warned (sounds harsh I know) that it can be a bit difficult to manage said group.

What do you expect from you Ramp CSM?

How can I show this group that my goal is to work together and put our politics aside?

I must say that I am very excited but I feel like the new KID at a new school?

JFK Fleet Service said:
Eyes and ears open, mouth shut.
Listen to your Crew Chiefs.
Don't be an ass.
What does that do for communication. I have always been BIG on Good communication and Feedback. Seems like an ideal CSM, for you. Is not a member of Leadeship?

REPUS said:
What does that do for communication. I have always been BIG on Good communication and Feedback. Seems like an ideal CSM, for you. Is not a member of Leadeship?

I've noticed that only management refers to management as "leadership"; to the rest of us management is just "management".

Reactions: 1 person
Welcome back, Repus.

Chock and JFK have both nailed it. Remember also that you are moving to a very different environment than the one you were in. "Pitching in to help" is a whole lot different with workers covered under a CBA. I know you know what you are doing, but respect those boundaries just the same.

Also, seek out a shop rep and introduce yourself. I'd pick up a copy of the applicable CBA and read it as well.

Keep us posted!

JFK Fleet Service said:
Don't be an ass.
If you do all of these, you will be just fine with fleet, but fired reassigned by the company!

You will be considered a middle man,management will come down on you with responsibities/duties and fleet service will come up you with needs and complaints.
Lay low,learn the job,respect the boundaries of union/management,don't try to micro manage.

I think I would agree with all of the above suggestions.  I would add that I think it is important to realize that agents doing this job have been doing it for a long time, and probably know the job better than you.  While it is important to enforce safety and job performance issues, I think it is always better to kindly ask why an agent performs a task in some manner versus assuming their way to be wrong.  It is better to work through any differences and accept if it isn't an issue of customer service or safety, then to allow the agent to do the work as the person would prefer.

The hardest part for you will be learning to sit back and be a spectator **unless** you see something that's going to get someone hurt.

Go thru the Crew Chief and shop stewards, and you'll be fine.

Try to be a superstar and boil the ocean, and you won't get anywhere.

Most importantly.... learn how to eat in the breakroom instead of in an office. Never underestimate the power of breaking bread.

eolesen said:
The hardest part for you will be learning to sit back and be a spectator **unless** you see something that's going to get someone hurt.

Most importantly.... learn how to eat in the breakroom instead of in an office. Never underestimate the power of breaking bread.
Its going to be a little different on the ramp and at AA but I will say this and every now and thing bringing in some food (donuts etc) will go a long way.

All the above, including "Don't do it", are things that I have thought on. I thank you all for the advise and look forward to being that CSM that ramp can come to when they really need assistance and guidance. I have always had a great relitionship and respect with the ramp and hope to continue that with AA. I know that my resolve and knowledge will be tested a long with my humility. Again, thanks to all....

Learn the difference between leadership and management. You will need to learn the latter before you can do the former.

Also, don't make any significant changes in the first 90 days (6 months if possible). Look listen feel. Taylor your managerial style to the individuals.

Listen to the Cheifs and be consistent and fair, not fairly consistent.

REPUS said:

Communication is great if it's timely, succinct, and useful.  Unfortunately you will oftentimes be required to communicate things that are redundant, contradictory, or unimportant.  An ideal CSM - for me - makes sure I have the resources to do my job and then stays out of the way while I'm doing it.

Kev3188 said:
Chock and JFK have both nailed it. Remember also that you are moving to a very different environment than the one you were in. "Pitching in to help" is a whole lot different with workers covered under a CBA. I know you know what you are doing, but respect those boundaries just the same.

Correct.  One may be Ramp deep down but unless you're wearing the uniform and paying dues you're not a ramper and you shouldn't be doing our work.

AANOTOK said:
If you do all of these, you will be just fine with fleet, but fired reassigned by the company!

This was/is true on the LUS side as well, at least in my station.  It's funny that as a CSM you're expected and encouraged to engage your employees on friendly and cooperative terms, but your 'superiors' will (with some suspicion) take notice if they realize you've actually developed a good reputation from the people you manage.  As one CSM once told me he was sternly reminded that he wasn't "being paid to be their friend"...and that wasn't long before he was let go.

DFWTWU said:
You will be considered a middle man,management will come down on you with responsibities/duties and fleet service will come up you with needs and complaints.
Lay low,learn the job,respect the boundaries of union/management,don't try to micro manage.

Absolutely this.  A good manager can perform this balancing act very well, but few are so talented.  Some of it comes from experience, but a lot of it comes down to personality and diplomacy.

eolesen said:

CSM's are put under considerable pressure to prevent any delays from occurring and unfortunately I have seen managers overlook obvious safety violations that occur right before them when the clock is running down at push time.  Whether or not they could have controlled the delay they're often grilled for allowing it to happen nonetheless; it's very much a no-win situation for the ramp CSM's, so at about -10 to push time on a critical or sensitive flight they'll show up, thinking their presence somehow will help prevent taking a delay (or perhaps mitigate the fallout if they do take it) but really they're just in the way and making everybody skittish.

Quite true re: boiling the ocean.  Some jump right in before testing the waters and try too hard in one direction or another, either to be everyone's friend, or to lay down the law, or to make a reputation for oneself - only to end up hitting a wall and getting walked out.

REPUS said:
How can I show this group that my goal is to work together and put our politics aside?

I must say that I am very excited but I feel like the new KID at a new school?

The politics comes with the job, it cannot be put aside.  There will be the politics between you, your counterparts, and your bosses; and then there will be the politics between you as management and your labor.  You'd be better off becoming as politically adept as possible, and that doesn't mean being conniving or two-faced. Flexibility is the key.  Your bosses need to think you're sufficiently toeing the line, and your people need to think you've got their backs (while staying off them).  It seems few people can pull this off successfully. I doubt I could.

JFK Fleet Service said:
Don't be an ass.

So basically this, until you get your bearings.

My final advice is simply if you find yourself doing things you don't feel comfortable doing or becoming someone you don't want to be, then get out and move on.  Jobs change people, and not always for the better.  The other night I heard someone say about a manager, "that guy used to be pretty cool but now I don't even remember the last time I saw him smile..."  So if you can make this job enhance your quality of life then more power to you, but if you find the opposite happening don't stick around too long.

Good luck!