Aer Lingus to STL, DEN, SFO, and SEA! but....

LambertMan

Sep 7, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Aer Lingus (Apr06, 2003)
Said it would add several routes to the US if an open skies deal was signed with the US. Those new destinations would include Denver, San Francisco, Seattle and St Louis.
Certainly welcome news to my eyes as I read that. I would assume STL would be the oneworld connection point, even though nearly half of the metro area has an irish decent. Denver is more of a mystery to me, can't figure out what they are wanting there.....lets just hope they get that agreement signed!
9.gif

----------------
On 4/7/2003 7:51:26 PM mga707 wrote:

----------------
On 4/7/2003 3:23:12 PM AA763 wrote:

Aer Lingus (Apr06, 2003)
Said it would add several routes to the US if an open skies deal was signed with the US. Those new destinations would include Denver, San Francisco, Seattle and St Louis.
Certainly welcome news to my eyes as I read that. I would assume STL would be the oneworld connection point, even though nearly half of the metro area has an irish decent. Denver is more of a mystery to me, can''t figure out what they are wanting there.....lets just hope they get that agreement signed!

----------------​

Isn''t Aer Lingus still in pretty desperate financial straits? I thought they were about to join SABENA and Swissair in the Euro airline graveyard (with Ryanair shoveling the dirt onto the coffin).

----------------​

Aer Lingus is in excellent shape.... they just announced profits for 2002 financial year of 63m Euros. Expect an order for new short haul aircraft to be announced in the next week or so.

----------------
On 4/7/2003 3:23:12 PM AA763 wrote:

Aer Lingus (Apr06, 2003)
Certainly welcome news to my eyes as I read that. I would assume STL would be the oneworld connection point, even though nearly half of the metro area has an irish decent. Denver is more of a mystery to me, can''t figure out what they are wanting there.....lets just hope they get that agreement signed!

----------------​

Isn''t Aer Lingus still in pretty desperate financial straits? I thought they were about to join SABENA and Swissair in the Euro airline graveyard (with Ryanair shoveling the dirt onto the coffin).

How about Miami Aer Lingus? All those New Englanders and Yankees in Florida would be great for your network. Ignoring SARS for the momemt(thinking long term), how about feeding OneWorld in Asia with flights to Honk Kong, Singapore or Sydney. Tokyo should be a goal too. Fedding Qantas, Cathay or BA in Asia or going to Australia should be Aer Lingus''s next new frontier. A330''s across the pond is old news, its been done by you, Aer Lingus. 777''s or A340 are needed here, Only reasonable offers accepted.

Trust me, when/if Aer Lingus expands in the US, you will not see them in St. Louis, or Denver for that matter. You will likly see them in Miami and Orlando. Florida is the #1 American vacation destination for the Irish, who have one of Europe''s highest disposable incomes.

If they are intending to go to Miami or Orlando instead of St Louis or Denver wouldnt it say they would start serving Miami or Orlando??? Not St Louis...hmm I dont see any reasons why they would do that. Aer Lingus is part of Oneworld, AA could provide connections, STL is dominated by Irish 50% have Irish blood in them, and we have a decent but not great O&D.
Just a thought...

50% sounds a bit high to me - besides, I believe a higher percentage of the St. Louis population would actually have German heritage (46% of school children in 1880 were german, and this was at the the time when irish immigration had peaked)... but anyway, regardless of the percentages, by this logic, there should be a nonstop flight from St. Louis to someplace in Germany on AA or Lufthansa, and there isn''t.

----------------
On 4/10/2003 4:41:17 PM AA763 wrote:

If they are intending to go to Miami or Orlando instead of St Louis or Denver wouldnt it say they would start serving Miami or Orlando??? Not St Louis...hmm I dont see any reasons why they would do that. Aer Lingus is part of Oneworld, AA could provide connections, STL is dominated by Irish 50% have Irish blood in them, and we have a decent but not great O&D.
Just a thought...

----------------​

What they said was that if open skies is signed between the United States and Ireland, they are looking at opening up a few of 16 possible trans-Atlantic routes. They randomly mentioned that they could include St. Louis. In reality, you will not be seeing them in St. Louis, trust me. Also, St. Louis Euroepan heritage, as stated before, is dominated by German descent, and you don't see non-stops to Germany. Heck, American can barely keep their St. Louis-Gatwick service (currently operating only a few times a week) running healthy, and you expect EI to fly STL-DUB/SNN? EI has talked about going to MIA for a while now ever since they joined oneWorld. It makes perfect sense:

1) High-yielding trans-Atlantic market
2) One-stop Connection oppurtunities to the Caribbean and Latin America that can't be offered anywhere else. Currently Irish need to make two stops to get to most of those destinations. Nearly every connection STL offers is also offered from ORD.
3) More O&D.