Aero News Network: Furloughed Pilots Refusing Recall

Found link to this on another board:

Furloughed pilots refusing recall
From the Aero-News Network:

As the airlines slowly recover from those terrible days following 9/11... they're starting to recall flight crews. As many as 8,000 were furloughed as the economic disaster that befell this industry unfolded. But now that some of them are being asked to return to work... many are saying, in essence, "Hell no, we won't go."

Pilots at Delta Air Lines report only one pilot has agreed to return for every three pilots asked back. Other airlines, such as American, US Airways and Northwest say that ratio is more like five-to-one.

What's keeping those pilots away? Well, for one, many of the pilots furloughed in 2001 have since gotten jobs in other industries... and as much as they may love to fly, it makes little sense for them to give up those jobs over the prospect of working longer hours, and for less money, to help keep financially shaky airlines afloat.

Others say they don't want to be away from home as much as 22 days a month... up from the 15 or 16 that was the standard just a few years ago.

As other airlines contemplate recalls, Air Line Pilots Association President Duane Woerth tells the Washington Post those carriers have to face pilots who are very aware of the precarious nature of the business... and who watch the news like anyone else.

"Every single time there is some international incident, oil jumps five bucks a barrel," said Woerth. "The pilot thinks: 'I just relocated my family once, and I'm going to have to relocate them again, and some unknown event will happen. Some airline will panic and furlough me again.' They just don't want to get caught in that whipsaw."

Ultimately, the ratio will probably get better though by how much is anyone's guess. I've heard many of our furloughed say they'll pass on the recall as long as they can before making a decision.

After the '91 furloughs, it was about 7 years before recalls started and about 50% came back. This time, it'll be coming up on 5 years when the next recalls occur. Of course, things looked brighter for returnees in the late '90's (although it didn't turn out that way).....

Jim

Wasn't there a time in the late 90's that airlines had much lower requirements in terms of total time, multi time, turbine time, etc. because they actually had a huge need to hire pilots? What is it now for US and the other majors?

If crews don't come back from furlough, then this could only mean the regional pilots get bumped up sooner.

I have my ATP (and CFI) with 1800 hrs. mostly in single engine piston. All part 91 operations. Maybe I should spruce up the resume......

I have my ATP (and CFI) with 1800 hrs. mostly in single engine piston. All part 91 operations. Maybe I should spruce up the resume......

With that high time, you could be a 90-seat RJ captain at Mesa by this time tomorrow.

With that high time, you could be a 90-seat RJ captain at Mesa by this time tomorrow.
I didn't elaborate more because I'm not completely serious (although comfortable knowing who i qualify with). I have just 40 hrs multi piston and no turbine.

I am one of the higher guys on the list of furloughed.

The only fear I have when I drop off the seniority list for refusing all recals is the severe economic impact it will have for me.

You see... ALPA and USAir won't send me any more letters or monthly publications that flood my mail box... I will have to start buying toilet paper again. Ohh... the horror... :lol: