Aerospace officials see shakeup ahead

twaokc

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
OKC
Officials say airline companies in the United States must find efficiencies to survive in an era of surging fuel costs.

Hundreds of aerospace industry officials gathered Monday at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City to discuss aviation trends.

The Oklahoma Aerospace Summit is focusing on how military and civil aviation enterprises can learn from each other to make their operations more efficient.

Tulsa-based American Airlines maintenance director Paul Creider says airline companies must work with employees to cut costs.

American Airlines is bucking the trend toward outsourcing maintenance and repair work. It is working with the Transport Workers Union to find efficiencies in Tulsa, where 7,000 people are employed.

Officials say airline companies in the United States must find efficiencies to survive in an era of surging fuel costs.

Hundreds of aerospace industry officials gathered Monday at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City to discuss aviation trends.

The Oklahoma Aerospace Summit is focusing on how military and civil aviation enterprises can learn from each other to make their operations more efficient.

Tulsa-based American Airlines maintenance director Paul Creider says airline companies must work with employees to cut costs.

American Airlines is bucking the trend toward outsourcing maintenance and repair work. It is working with the Transport Workers Union to find efficiencies in Tulsa, where 7,000 people are employed.

I guess a meeting of the minds will fail to see passing the cost on to the consumer.
Instead corporate America continues to fleece its employees and reward upper management.
The end result poor customer service and an unhappy workforce.
I am sure the "aerospace industry officials " will come up with nothing more than a good slogan. Like "pull together win together"

<_<

I guess a meeting of the minds will fail to see passing the cost on to the consumer.
Instead corporate America continues to fleece its employees and reward upper management.
The end result poor customer service and an unhappy workforce.
I am sure the "aerospace industry officials " will come up with nothing more than a good slogan. Like "pull together win together"

<_<

I think their point was that - in this revenue and cost environment - line workers should not expect pay raises without productivity gains.

And how is the cost not being passed to us consumers? The fares I pay several times a month have gone up 175% in some cases. AA isn't paying 175% more for fuel than it was a year ago. And don't forget the fees being attached to almost everything. Travelers are paying more of their share today than at any other time since deregulation, and still getting crappy service and bad attitudes. No wonder customer satisfaction is so low.

I think their point was that - in this revenue and cost environment - line workers should not expect pay raises without productivity gains.

And how is the cost not being passed to us consumers? The fares I pay several times a month have gone up 175% in some cases. AA isn't paying 175% more for fuel than it was a year ago. And don't forget the fees being attached to almost everything. Travelers are paying more of their share today than at any other time since deregulation, and still getting crappy service and bad attitudes. No wonder customer satisfaction is so low.

Just because you are paying more for your tickets doesnt mean you are paying what it cost to produce the product. Up until recently air fares have not risen they have been dropping due to a highly fragmented industry. Most other countries have only one maybe two major carriers, here in the US we have we have six majors and then I can think of at least six low cost carriers. In order for airlines to survive they have to do something. Raise fares cut wages (already been done workers will not stand for more), or cut capacity. Capacity can come out several ways, liquidation, airline cut backs, or consolidation.

Did this quoted artiicle make any mention of how many mechanics are fed up with the company, its bought and paid for pet union, and really don't give a crap about either's survival?

Travelers are paying more of their share today than at any other time since deregulation,
Do you have anything to back that statement up?

This would dispute your claim and it only covers from 1995 to 2004.
http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/viewcont...ontext=iber/cpc

I would guess that the biggest decreases in airfares occurred closer to when deregulation was enacted,in the early 80's, that report covers a period that started 17 years after deregulation, but despite the fact that pricing should have stabilized by then it still shows a 20% decline(over 20% when inflation is calculated in) over the period from 1995-2004(some of the airlines most profitable years ever). This article would support that assumption;http://www.heritage.org/Research/Regulation/BG1173es.cfm
It claims ticket prices had declined by 40% during the first 20 years of deregulation.

The fact is you were getting a bargain at our expense. Now those days are over, change is coming, get used to it.

The fact is I think deregulation has been a complete failure. The trend of decreasing ticket prices started way before deregulation, cheap prices were the result of increased productivity. The workers saw imrprovements, the passengers saw air travel become affordable and the airlines made small but consistant profits but that wasnt enough for some so they screwed the whole thing up. The trend of decreased airafres was shared by everyone, not just the NYC to LAX crowd but the Cincinatti to Pheonix crowd as well under regulation, that hasnt been the case under deregulation.

CLUELESS

:blink:

If the true cost of flying were to be passed to the consumer of said services, you'd really be whining - a helluva lot louder than you are now.

If the true cost of flying were to be passed to the consumer of said services, you'd really be whining - a helluva lot louder than you are now.
I'm not whining because I'm willing to pay for what I consume; but if the passengers and cargo are not paying "the true cost" of flying, please tell me who IS paying it. Last time I looked at the financials, the revenue for the airlines was coming from the fares and charges to the self-loading and other cargo.

What are these "true costs" - beyond fuel, employee wages and benefits, equipment, overhead, etc.?

I'm not whining because I'm willing to pay for what I consume; but if the passengers and cargo are not paying "the true cost" of flying, please tell me who IS paying it. Last time I looked at the financials, the revenue for the airlines was coming from the fares and charges to the self-loading and other cargo.

What are these "true costs" - beyond fuel, employee wages and benefits, equipment, overhead, etc.?

These alleged "true costs" as they refer to them are the vast increases in wage and benefits that they demand the company pay them. It's true they gave up a lot in 2003, but it's not like AMR is Exxon and making fistfulls of money.

My J and F tickets pay for more than fuel, employee and legacy costs. In reality I am the one subsidizing the leisure fliers in the back, so don't lecture me.

Funny, I think of that term whenever I see posts demanding full snap back and nothing less.

But you don't find it funny that only the executives continue to share in their rewards but if the employees demand it, it's considered unrealistic.

No we wouldn't. You'd be whining because you'd be out of a job due to your customers going to the guy who can charge a lower price *AND* make some money at it. The free market sets the prices and, by extension, the quality of services.

No we wouldn't. You'd be whining because you'd be out of a job due to your customers going to the guy who can charge a lower price *AND* make some money at it. The free market sets the prices and, by extension, the quality of services.
I believe you stated the obvious (with the intent of a dig) - just like any good company cubicle denizen would having nothing of value to add to a conversation.

I think we all understand the economic implications re: the 'free market' setting prices - the trick, as you pointed out, is to make a buck or two along with the transaction. It's rather obvious that's what must happen in order to keep a business of any type viable.

Employees of many airlines took pay cuts to subsidize your cheap ticket prices yet you still complain. Too bad. Ride your friggin' bicycle next time you need to go somewhere.

In the meantime, get back under your boss's desk where you belong.