Afa And Company Agree To Vf1 Extensions

flyguy121

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Glad to see the company budged on this issue...hopefully it will save more F/A jobs.

From the AFA Website:

"AFA and the Company have agreed to allow those flight attendants currently scheduled to return from VF1 to extend, with certain restrictions. Information is being sent to those affected flight attendants who will have the option to extend their voluntary furlough indefinitely, i.e., not be recalled until all involuntary furloughed flight attendants have been recalled, take the Voluntary Separation Incentive Program (VSIP), or return to work."

Anyone have any additional information regarding what the "restrictions" are all about? How many F/A's are on VF1 and will be given this opportunity?

Pitbull?

BostonTerrier said:
I'm so confused.
[post="175985"][/post]​

All those F/A's who took VF1 left with full benefits for the entire 3 years that they chose to be on furlough. :up: I'm sure the Company is realizing that was a huge mistake! All of the other VF's after VF1 only got 90 days of medical, these lucky saps got 3 years of medical for them and their families! I'm sure the restriction will be a loss of medical and adjusted flying benefits. :p

Whatnow:

Lets just take a little trip back to the fall of 2001 too refresh management's and peoples memories. The company and AFA came to an agreement that in exchange for the "NO FURLOUGH" clause to be DELETED from our contract, the company would offer than ENHANCED VF program better than what was outlined in our 2000 agreement. Rakesh himself approved this because like him or not he kept his word. So that was why VF1-2 had 3 years of medical...ect.
That "NO FURLOUGH" clause in our contract was one of the most valuable things we had at the time and we traded it in GOOD FAITH for something that would help the company and help the F/A's. When Rakesh left they reneged on the deal and began offering HORRIBLE VF programs. So, lets all understand that the company reneged on the deal and I believe a grievance is still outstanding on this issue. Maybe PITBULL can shed some further light on this issue.
As for the VF people being allowed to extend....I think it's great news and I hope many take advantage of it.

Whatnow? said:
All those F/A's who took VF1 left with full benefits for the entire 3 years that they chose to be on furlough. :up: I'm sure the Company is realizing that was a huge mistake! All of the other VF's after VF1 only got 90 days of medical, these lucky saps got 3 years of medical for them and their families! I'm sure the restriction will be a loss of medical and adjusted flying benefits. :p
[post="175986"][/post]​

What now,

The VF1 furlough was what was negotiated between Gangwal and AFA. It was the best "side letter", and had the biggest response. There were over 2000 f/as that signed onto that furlough. Only approx. 400 f/as were INVOL furloughed at that time. Since then, Siegel and Glass came into the picture and made it much more difficult to negotiate the subsequent VFs, especiall for medical. As a result, less people volunteered and many did not extend after 6 months.

For clarity, the VF 1 had 24 months medical at the employee contribution rate; not 3 years.

ktflyhome said:
Do you remember that song, "Ball of Confusion"???? :huh: :unsure: :blink:
[post="175988"][/post]​

LMAO! Yeah! Exactly. It must be the theme song for Inflight Administration and the fab VP that oversees the mess. I thought (and could be wrong, most likely wrong) that VF1 folks only got their health bennies for two years. Doesn't matter.

With the VFs, the VSIPs, retirements, disciplinary attrition, ITD to domestic transfers, and perhaps a new TA, who knows who will be left standing at the end.

USAirBoyA330 said:
Whatnow:

Lets just take a little trip back to the fall of 2001 too refresh management's and peoples memories. The company and AFA came to an agreement that in exchange for the "NO FURLOUGH" clause to be DELETED from our contract, the company would offer than ENHANCED VF program better than what was outlined in our 2000 agreement. Rakesh himself approved this because like him or not he kept his word. So that was why VF1-2 had 3 years of medical...ect.
That "NO FURLOUGH" clause in our contract was one of the most valuable things we had at the time and we traded it in GOOD FAITH for something that would help the company and help the F/A's. When Rakesh left they reneged on the deal and began offering HORRIBLE VF programs. So, lets all understand that the company reneged on the deal and I believe a grievance is still outstanding on this issue. Maybe PITBULL can shed some further light on this issue.
As for the VF people being allowed to extend....I think it's great news and I hope many take advantage of it.
[post="175991"][/post]​

USAirboy,

There is no outstanding grievance regardinging the company's subsequent sideletters for each VF. The only guarantees AFA had in the restructuring langugage of summer 2002 was that the co. would offer a VF each time there was to be an INVOL furlough. The VF1 was Gangwal's side letter and there was a furlough because of the force Majeure. There was a grievance filed, but our MEC President at that time settled the grievance by allowing the probationary f/as who were fired to have their status changed to INVOLUNTARY furlough. The MEC President at that time settled this on her own with AFA legal, because the pilots had lost their grievance on this issue to my understanding.

AFA legal thought it best to achieve something out of it, then risk losing it all. So approx 500 f/as are now on the INVOL list.

Sorry if I step on any toes with this one, but, if you can afford to take a 3+ year leave, you obviously don't need or already have another job to provide for you and your family! I honestly think that you truly need to decide if you want this job anymore after a 3 year VF. Most of us don't have the luxury of taking leaves like that, and truly want to be here! Seniority or no seniority, step aside and let the bottom of the barrel enjoy life as it should be as a F/A, without the axe always hanging over their heads! We seem to be the most dedicated left behind!

Whatnow? said:
Sorry if I step on any toes with this one, but, if you can afford to take a 3+ year leave, you obviously don't need or already have another job to provide for you and your family! I honestly think that you truly need to decide if you want this job anymore after a 3 year VF. Most of us don't have the luxury of taking leaves like that, and truly want to be here! Seniority or no seniority, step aside and let the bottom of the barrel enjoy life as it should be as a F/A, without the axe always hanging over their heads! We seem to be the most dedicated left behind!
[post="176024"][/post]​

I agree except that the company has absolutely no intention of returning furloughees to mainline. If people resign or are terminated, an opening is not created for a return of a furloughee. With this company, it's all about the sub-standard wage MidAtlantic Airways. If management were smart, they would have offered early outs two years ago and returned furloughed people to flying and I'll bet you the company would have been far ahead. That's why I am opposed to any contract revisions or productivity enhancements unless and until it contains a provision to allow topped-out flight attendants an opt-out provision (opting out of their jobs) in exchange for lifetime pass privileges and a cash bonus... AND for every flight attendant who opts out a junior flight attendant is returned to mainline flying. When a person's return seniority is reached, they should be given one opportunity to pass a recall and maintain their flight benefits (or a portion of their flight benefits, for instance six round-trip passes per year for themselves and dependants plus two round-trip parental passes per parent). Unless the company's hand is forced to return furloughees, those displace people will simply be put in MidAtlantic.

AFA has offered in the proposal and OPEN FURLOUGH. This proposal was designed to be offered to ALL f/as on the property....even if 5,000 want to go. Its "net effect" will represent permanent job save for those who want to stay on the property.

Pitbull,

What was the company's reaction (or have they responded at all) to this Open Furlough Proposal?

Latest posts