AFA at Delta goes down in flames...

DCAflyer

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
From AFA Northwest:

Delta Air Lines Flight Attendants' Representation Election Voided
The National Mediation Board (NMB) announced today that Delta Air Lines flight attendants have lost their vote to join the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA. With only 5,306, or 40 percent, of eligible flight attendants voting, the NMB could not certify AFA-CWA as the flight attendants' representative. These disappointing election results underscore a larger issue facing our industry and this nation—the unceasing attempt by executives to crush labor and the middle class and to run corporations without regard to workers or consumers.
Today's vote showed the makings of a silver lining for flight attendants in a Delta-Northwest merger. Combining the votes for AFA-CWA in this election with our numbers here at Northwest shows that we have the support to win a second election for the combined workforce when the merger occurs.
Our Master Executive Council (MEC), AFA-CWA International and Delta activists are prepared to battle Delta executives' arsenal of anti-union propaganda in a second representation election, one that will be initiated by the NMB once a Northwest/Delta merger is approved and the airlines operate as a "single transportation system," as defined in the NMB's representation manual. Past mergers have reached this operational definition in as little as six months while others have taken as long as two years. We will need every minute of this time and every flight attendant's resolve to overcome the enormous, unprecedented investment Delta has made to defeat our right to have a voice in our own future.
The NMB vote results give rise to this extraordinary challenge for Northwest flight attendants: after over sixty years as a legally recognized partner in our airline's merger history, we are now confronted with the real possibility of losing our contract, our union and our collective bargaining rights in a merger designed solely by Delta Air Lines executives. We cannot be complacent.
At this moment, our MEC Officers, Delta's AFA-CWA Steering Committee and AFA-CWA International Officers are meeting to refine our focus moving forward. As a consequence of this first NMB vote, our efforts must escalate from simply supporting Delta flight attendants' right to union representation to defending six decades of union tradition at Northwest—a history of being legally able to hold management accountable for its decisions in mergers or related transactions as a result of our negotiated right to be included in any such discussions. If the Department of Justice approves a Delta/Northwest merger we are prepared to exercise every available resource to retain our collective bargaining rights at a merged carrier, including necessary legal measures.
Though we have lost this first election, we admire and respect AFA-CWA activists at Delta Air Lines for their perseverance despite management interference in their legal right to seek union representation. We stand committed to strengthening our collective influence at the bargaining table. We know that Delta and Northwest flight attendants are better together, and in unity beyond a successful second election, we will reassert our leverage in a merger as proud members of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA.

From AFA Northwest:

Delta Air Lines Flight Attendants' Representation Election Voided
The National Mediation Board (NMB) announced today that Delta Air Lines flight attendants have lost their vote to join the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA. With only 5,306, or 40 percent, of eligible flight attendants voting, the NMB could not certify AFA-CWA as the flight attendants' representative. These disappointing election results underscore a larger issue facing our industry and this nation—the unceasing attempt by executives to crush labor and the middle class and to run corporations without regard to workers or consumers.
Today's vote showed the makings of a silver lining for flight attendants in a Delta-Northwest merger. Combining the votes for AFA-CWA in this election with our numbers here at Northwest shows that we have the support to win a second election for the combined workforce when the merger occurs.Our Master Executive Council (MEC), AFA-CWA International and Delta activists are prepared to battle Delta executives' arsenal of anti-union propaganda in a second representation election, one that will be initiated by the NMB once a Northwest/Delta merger is approved and the airlines operate as a "single transportation system," as defined in the NMB's representation manual. Past mergers have reached this operational definition in as little as six months while others have taken as long as two years. We will need every minute of this time and every flight attendant's resolve to overcome the enormous, unprecedented investment Delta has made to defeat our right to have a voice in our own future.
The NMB vote results give rise to this extraordinary challenge for Northwest flight attendants: after over sixty years as a legally recognized partner in our airline's merger history, we are now confronted with the real possibility of losing our contract, our union and our collective bargaining rights in a merger designed solely by Delta Air Lines executives. We cannot be complacent.
At this moment, our MEC Officers, Delta's AFA-CWA Steering Committee and AFA-CWA International Officers are meeting to refine our focus moving forward. As a consequence of this first NMB vote, our efforts must escalate from simply supporting Delta flight attendants' right to union representation to defending six decades of union tradition at Northwest—a history of being legally able to hold management accountable for its decisions in mergers or related transactions as a result of our negotiated right to be included in any such discussions. If the Department of Justice approves a Delta/Northwest merger we are prepared to exercise every available resource to retain our collective bargaining rights at a merged carrier, including necessary legal measures.
Though we have lost this first election, we admire and respect AFA-CWA activists at Delta Air Lines for their perseverance despite management interference in their legal right to seek union representation. We stand committed to strengthening our collective influence at the bargaining table. We know that Delta and Northwest flight attendants are better together, and in unity beyond a successful second election, we will reassert our leverage in a merger as proud members of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA.

This is not surprising and is the percentage that I expected. Note the silver lining--this 40% combined with NW's numbers (even if 20% of them don't vote), will bring in AFA. I would say in about a year or so.

Let the SPIN begin LOL...

I was off by just 2%. 60% said NO to AFA. Simple

No one knows yet, how many NW F/A's will be around in a years time.

ANOTHER SIDE:

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/080528/143631.html

Delta Flight Attendants Reject AFA Representation
Wednesday May 28, 2:49 pm ET

Flight attendants preserve 79-year direct relationship as second AFA bid in six years is voted down

ATLANTA, May 28, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) has received notification from the National Mediation Board (NMB) that a decisive majority -- more than 60 percent -- of eligible flight attendants rejected representation by the Association of Flight Attendants/Communication Workers of America (AFA) in the representation election at Delta, and the airline will continue a direct relationship with its flight attendants.

``We are pleased that Delta's flight attendants clearly believe that our unique culture and direct relationship are worth preserving,'' said Delta CEO Richard Anderson. ``Delta continues to be the best advocate for its people, and our employees recognize the benefits of working together to enhance their careers and drive successful results for themselves and our company.''

Joanne Smith, senior vice president -- In-Flight Service and Global Product Development, added, ``This decision was one of the biggest our flight attendants faced in their career at Delta and it arose during some challenging times in our industry. Through all of these distractions -- soaring fuel costs, a softening economy and an unrelenting AFA campaign of scare tactics and inaccurate information -- the professionalism of all of our flight attendants shone as they maintained an unwavering focus on safety and service. This comes as no surprise however, because that is the Delta Difference; it is what sets us apart from the rest of this industry.

``We have many exciting and challenging opportunities ahead of us. Together, with our employees, we will continue to make Delta a source of pride for our people and an airline that delivers great service to our customers.''

This is not surprising and is the percentage that I expected. Note the silver lining--this 40% combined with NW's numbers (even if 20% of them don't vote), will bring in AFA. I would say in about a year or so.

However, some pro union NWA flight attendants may not be pro afa-CWA. For them, they could not vote in the election to decertify the afa-CWA. This will make it easier to reform under a different union.

Who knows.

One point where we can all agree is that this is not over.

With the DL F/As rejecting AFA, will DOH still apply to seniority integration?

you know. i am not one who likes when airlines staple people to the bottom. but in this case . i am all for it. the nw f/a should just put all delta f/a at the bottom of the list. thet clearly do not want to be a part of a union . and since there are more nw f/a's than delta f/a's since they did not want a union then they should be put on the bottom. see how they like that.

However, some pro union NWA flight attendants may not be pro afa-CWA. For them, they could not vote in the election to decertify the afa-CWA. This will make it easier to reform under a different union.

Who knows.

One point where we can all agree is that this is not over.

This is indeed a possibility, aislehopper but I believe it is a slight one. The reason I say this is NW FAs were not happy with their own in-house, PFAA and thus voted in AFA. So, I don't know what "different" union would be elected. It would not be Teamsters as they were voted out in favor of PFAA. The only one might be TWU and I'm not sure that would happen.
Anyway, aislehopper--thank you for a non-emotional, honest posting. I have a new respect for you as you chose not to gloat as another (puppy dog avatar) chose to do. The thing that we all have to remember is that this is business, not personal. You are correct...it is not over.

you know. i am not one who likes when airlines staple people to the bottom. but in this case . i am all for it. the nw f/a should just put all delta f/a at the bottom of the list. thet clearly do not want to be a part of a union . and since there are more nw f/a's than delta f/a's since they did not want a union then they should be put on the bottom. see how they like that.
-----Then you woke up....

We have to work together to ensure that we will have a union after the merger. Delta flight attendants are not the enemy! I don't know if you are a flight attendant or not but this type of talk only helps management divide and conquer.

Cant understand why they wouldnt want to be a part of afa-cwa. So its wrong, its wrong its wrong, except when people dont subscribe to the same beliefs as you.

Let the SPIN begin LOL...

I was off by just 2%. 60% said NO to AFA. Simple

No one knows yet, how many NW F/A's will be around in a years time.

ANOTHER SIDE:

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/080528/143631.html

Delta Flight Attendants Reject AFA Representation
Wednesday May 28, 2:49 pm ET

Flight attendants preserve 79-year direct relationship as second AFA bid in six years is voted down

ATLANTA, May 28, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) has received notification from the National Mediation Board (NMB) that a decisive majority -- more than 60 percent -- of eligible flight attendants rejected representation by the Association of Flight Attendants/Communication Workers of America (AFA) in the representation election at Delta, and the airline will continue a direct relationship with its flight attendants.

``We are pleased that Delta's flight attendants clearly believe that our unique culture and direct relationship are worth preserving,'' said Delta CEO Richard Anderson. ``Delta continues to be the best advocate for its people, and our employees recognize the benefits of working together to enhance their careers and drive successful results for themselves and our company.''

Joanne Smith, senior vice president -- In-Flight Service and Global Product Development, added, ``This decision was one of the biggest our flight attendants faced in their career at Delta and it arose during some challenging times in our industry. Through all of these distractions -- soaring fuel costs, a softening economy and an unrelenting AFA campaign of scare tactics and inaccurate information -- the professionalism of all of our flight attendants shone as they maintained an unwavering focus on safety and service. This comes as no surprise however, because that is the Delta Difference; it is what sets us apart from the rest of this industry.

``We have many exciting and challenging opportunities ahead of us. Together, with our employees, we will continue to make Delta a source of pride for our people and an airline that delivers great service to our customers.''
Baba, one can also say,based upon the trend of outsourcing both blue-collar positions(as well as white collar positions which I suspect you fall into) to low wage workers, that no one knows whether you'll be around in a years time. And Baba, it's disturbing to see such little regard for the effort put in to maintain both labor unions and the labor rights that every American citizen depend on.
Assuming you also believe in the"unique culture", let's translate that also. Unique culture has the meaning of we "Delta" hold all the cards and can and do take from you and tour family at will. Mostly because you buy the bill of goods. As well we're so confident of our game of manipulation that we give executives huge bonuses and don't care who knows it.
As to soaring fuel costs and soft economy, well,contractual COLA's adjusted for inflation, and money in everyones pockets would cure both...

This is indeed a possibility, aislehopper but I believe it is a slight one. The reason I say this is NW FAs were not happy with their own in-house, PFAA and thus voted in AFA. So, I don't know what "different" union would be elected. It would not be Teamsters as they were voted out in favor of PFAA. The only one might be TWU and I'm not sure that would happen.
Anyway, aislehopper--thank you for a non-emotional, honest posting. I have a new respect for you as you chose not to gloat as another (puppy dog avatar) chose to do. The thing that we all have to remember is that this is business, not personal. You are correct...it is not over.

I was reading the AFA press release and it stated something like "the vast majority of votes cast, were cast for AFA." That may not be completely accurate wording but that statement leads me to believe that at least a portion of votes cast in favor of unionization were not cast for AFA. Is there any way to find out how many were cast for AFA and how many were cast for other unions?

Thanks in advance.

Dont count on the 40% being there again. After the fear of merger, and seniority issues have died off. This seemed to be the best chance afa has ever had to get in. The fat lady has started to sing.

If DAL takes care of its FA's along with the NWA FA's, afa is going to have a very hard time getting the same people to vote again, without the baggage hanging over them. Add to that you may get a higher percentage of current NWA F/A's but no where near enough people to offset the loss of the DAL F/A's.