AFA Council 66 PHX (West) MECP Latest E-line

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
The following is from the West AFA E-line from their MECP, Gary...as he speaks often informing his members on the Status.

Dougie is no friend to labor. IMO, the West needs to keep the contracts SEPARATE, rather than drag their members into the AFA East sh** contract for the next 6 years! And if I were on the West, I would mount up a "picket" every single day on how Management disrespects and is unfair to labor inspite of rocket profits that seem to be only for the EXECS. The west are deserving of raises as their contract has been amendable for the last couple years; no agreement for increases for them...deplorable.

August 1, 2006

Single Contract or Status Quo:

In two web-casts last week, CEO Doug Parker said that if the company can't reach a single contract agreement with AFA (and other unions), then the company would merge the operating certificate but have separate contracts.

He said this after insisting that any new or combined contract must remain "cost neutral" which really means that the company won't put new money into a combined agreement, just insist that we shift money around.

His newest argument certainly flies in the face of his earlier stance that if we don't reach an agreement, the company can shove the west Flight Attendants under the east agreement.

It's a positive move that the company has abandoned that stance as it was a weak legal argument to begin with.

AFA's legal position remains that the company could not and can not eliminate our contract and throw us under the east contract at will. The AFA legal position is based on a court ruling involving – ironically – US Airways and the former Shuttle operation.

While keeping the contracts separate is an intriguing idea, the company's no-cost increase stance is an attempt and excuse to keep our wages substandard on all seniority levels for an indefinite time period. Additionally, separate contracts while operating under one certificate poses more questions regarding aircraft routing decisions and flying at each base.

Parker, and others in management, are completely wrong when they boast that other airlines are cutting hourly wages to our contract levels. Senior and junior rates at airlines that have gone through concessions are – on the whole – greater than our top wage. And other airlines have certainly not cut wage levels for those with 1-9 years of service to match our wage levels there. Not by any means. Even airlines in bankruptcy and airlines half our size and smaller have wages from 2-7 dollars an hour more than our wages for years 1-9.

We will not accept cuts to our vacation section and importantly, we have to guard our scheduling flexibility in any scenario, be it in a new single contract or having separate contracts.

As we wade through negotiations for a single contract, the company’s position on key sections will soon become apparent. The company's no-cost increase stance is completely unrealistic. When planning for this merger, the company knew that we needed raises on the west and a return to a respectful contract on the east. Instead, millions in bonuses have gone to executives and despite record profits the company says they can't budget for a good contract.

It will be important to stay informed on progress- or lack of progress- in negotiations over the next few months.

The company is making money now, the 1-9 yr f/a deserve a pay increase and we shouldn't have to give up our 5 week vacation for that. That would be a pay cut for the seniors in the west!

The following is from the West AFA E-line from their MECP, Gary...as he speaks often informing his members on the Status.

Dougie is no friend to labor. IMO, the West needs to keep the contracts SEPARATE, rather than drag their members into the AFA East sh** contract for the next 6 years! And if I were on the West, I would mount up a "picket" every single day on how Management disrespects and is unfair to labor inspite of rocket profits that seem to be only for the EXECS. The west are deserving of raises as their contract has been amendable for the last couple years; no agreement for increases for them...deplorable.

August 1, 2006

Single Contract or Status Quo:

In two web-casts last week, CEO Doug Parker said that if the company can't reach a single contract agreement with AFA (and other unions), then the company would merge the operating certificate but have separate contracts.

He said this after insisting that any new or combined contract must remain "cost neutral" which really means that the company won't put new money into a combined agreement, just insist that we shift money around.
His newest argument certainly flies in the face of his earlier stance that if we don't reach an agreement, the company can shove the west Flight Attendants under the east agreement.
It's a positive move that the company has abandoned that stance as it was a weak legal argument to begin with.

AFA's legal position remains that the company could not and can not eliminate our contract and throw us under the east contract at will. The AFA legal position is based on a court ruling involving – ironically – US Airways and the former Shuttle operation.

While keeping the contracts separate is an intriguing idea, the company's no-cost increase stance is an attempt and excuse to keep our wages substandard on all seniority levels for an indefinite time period. Additionally, separate contracts while operating under one certificate poses more questions regarding aircraft routing decisions and flying at each base.

Parker, and others in management, are completely wrong when they boast that other airlines are cutting hourly wages to our contract levels. Senior and junior rates at airlines that have gone through concessions are – on the whole – greater than our top wage. And other airlines have certainly not cut wage levels for those with 1-9 years of service to match our wage levels there. Not by any means. Even airlines in bankruptcy and airlines half our size and smaller have wages from 2-7 dollars an hour more than our wages for years 1-9.

We will not accept cuts to our vacation section and importantly, we have to guard our scheduling flexibility in any scenario, be it in a new single contract or having separate contracts.

As we wade through negotiations for a single contract, the company’s position on key sections will soon become apparent. The company's no-cost increase stance is completely unrealistic. When planning for this merger, the company knew that we needed raises on the west and a return to a respectful contract on the east. Instead, millions in bonuses have gone to executives and despite record profits the company says they can't budget for a good contract.

It will be important to stay informed on progress- or lack of progress- in negotiations over the next few months.

Well the bottom line is we simply cannot stand for "cost neutral" yet again (which really translates to MORE concessions!!!). We deserve a fair, well negotiated contract that delivers respect for our givebacks and sacrifices (yes, all 3 givebacks on the East! :up: )

Let's empower our union, both East and West, and let them know exactly how we feel in regards to this. I would like to hear something from the East MECP regarding this. Where does he stand? How does he feel? Let's go! Let the membership know that you are serious about this battle! Get the F/A's educated on the subject!

(Stepping off my soapbox now :lol: )

The company is making money now, the 1-9 yr f/a deserve a pay increase and we shouldn't have to give up our 5 week vacation for that. That would be a pay cut for the seniors in the west!

The entire West is deserving of a raise; not just a select group of f/as. They have contracts that are all amendable. The East gave concessions and therefore are stuck with a 7-year through 2012 (BK concessions).The only enhancement East was to receive was "profit sharing", now that's been quite watered down for the East.

Dougie and Company are one huge disappointment with labor issues. And I believe its because he still finds the need to keep Jerry G. and Ford & Harrison Union Busting/Anti-Labor Services. I am of the hope that labor will rise above "should be happy to have a job bullsh**" and demand increases and use everything in your legal means to do so.

Every airline, BK or not make more than USAirways employees, and U is profiting more than all of them.

Whether you like the idea of a profitable airline, if it translates to "0" enhancement for you...then bottom line, itmeans absolutely "0"! Can't get excited over that when employees are struggling and debating whether they should eat or feed their cars with gasoline to come to work.

If there is no limits to a company profiting; there should be no limits or capps to wages/salaries one can earn.

Dougie and Company are one huge disappointment with labor issues.

I don't understand this "disappointment". They are doing the yob they were hired to do, reduce labor costs. period. Would you expect they would not do the job to which they were hired? Would you feel better were they to give a little, thereby undermining their resumes for later jobs?

What is it with Americans who think management should ever be their "friend"?

If there is no limits to a company profiting; there should be no limits or capps to wages/salaries one can earn.

There are apparently no limits to executive compensation....... Sucks to be "other", however.

BTW, really liked your comment that "cost neutral" is a continuing compensation reduction.

In the face of inflation (rising transport costs - fuel, interest rates and increased costs associated with our government's "Global War On People"), "cost neutral" is really a euphemism for "continuous salary reductions".

It seems the most difficult yob for Glass is to make certain employees don't go off the deep-end and demonstrate a little self-respect through Chaosâ„¢ or even an SOS.

In the face of inflation (rising transport costs - fuel, interest rates and increased costs associated with our government's "Global War On People"), "cost neutral" is really a euphemism for "continuous salary reductions".

It seems the most difficult yob for Glass is to make certain employees don't go off the deep-end and demonstrate a little self-respect through Chaosâ„¢ or even an SOS.

Couldn't agree more with what you say, and I know that you instinctively know what this is all about. After spending half my life with the airline, I yanked myself out of that "habit" and "familiarity".

Its funny, when I was offered a salary with this new company, I almost fell over. I felt, like most airline people think..."I just don't deserve this kind of money, no one offers this kind of money to folks like me". I tried to have a "flat affact" so my unbelivable elation, and feeling like I wanted to faint wouldn't show. When I left from my final interview, I thought I was actually flying ABOVE the clouds for once in my life and gave God a "high five-r"! :up: I think it must be how folks feel when they finally hit the lotto and receive a monthly pay out for life.... :lol:

It didn't take long for a situation to arise where the East F/A's could benefit from the solidarity and support from the West.

If the East had the foresight to come to a fair solution instead of demanding DOH, perhaps some solidarity could be built; but as they say, that ship has sailed. Don't complain about where it's taking you.

luvn,

Solidarity did occur (as far as with the East)...East provided profit sharing for the WEST out of their own contract provision whereby diluting their own comepensation. The West CEO wouldn't even consider working out a profit sharing deal with his own people, but rather placed that burden on the East. The East profit sharing is tied to their concession #3 of $1.083 billion. That's how their pie is divided. (The other 2 concession from the East totaling $1.5 billion never counted as the company went into BK again and wiped out any enhanced provision tied to co. success).

West can not complain about the East f/as nobility. It surely does not come from the knuckelheaded, cheap, arrogant CEO Parker.

Don't you mean Lakefield, or Siegel, or Wolf or Colodny or Calvin Coolidge, or George Washington, or Moses...

Face it, you won't be happy with any leader until they bust Lenin out of his tomb and reconstitute him in warm Vodka.

Don't you mean Lakefield, or Siegel, or Wolf or Colodny or Calvin Coolidge, or George Washington, or Moses...

Face it, you won't be happy with any leader until they bust Lenin out of his tomb and reconstitute him in warm Vodka.

Yup, I mean them too! As far as airline management teams go...USAirways has THE worst of the bunch. Jerry G. made a great reputation among the union busters thanks to U, and he still with his bread and butter airline manipulating the same "lapdogs".

The entire West is deserving of a raise; not just a select group of f/as. They have contracts that are all amendable. The East gave concessions and therefore are stuck with a 7-year through 2012 (BK concessions).The only enhancement East was to receive was "profit sharing", now that's been quite watered down for the East.

Dougie and Company are one huge disappointment with labor issues. And I believe its because he still finds the need to keep Jerry G. and Ford & Harrison Union Busting/Anti-Labor Services. I am of the hope that labor will rise above "should be happy to have a job bullsh**" and demand increases and use everything in your legal means to do so.

Every airline, BK or not make more than USAirways employees, and U is profiting more than all of them.

Whether you like the idea of a profitable airline, if it translates to "0" enhancement for you...then bottom line, itmeans absolutely "0"! Can't get excited over that when employees are struggling and debating whether they should eat or feed their cars with gasoline to come to work.

Well Said PITbull! :up:

Latest posts