AFA-CWA files with the NMB for Election

justanadd

Advanced
Jan 20, 2003
AFA-CWA CALLS FOR UNION ELECTION April 7, 2006

AT NORTHWEST AIRLINES

Washington, DC - The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA) today filed a petition with the National Mediation Board (NMB) to hold a representational election on behalf of Northwest Airlines flight attendants.

"Northwest flight attendants are looking for a strong voice to support them during this difficult time, and AFA-CWA is that voice," said Patricia Friend, AFA-CWA International President. "Right now, the Northwest flight attendants are facing the most turbulent time of their careers and they are doing so without a safety net. They have been presented with a devastating tentative agreement from their bankrupt carrier and are already experiencing incredible hardships. They approached AFA-CWA in hopes that our experience could help them navigate through this difficult process and we will do whatever it takes to defend their interests and provide the support they so desperately need."

The NMB is the federal agency that oversees union representation elections in the airline industry. Once the NMB verifies that enough signed union representation cards have been collected by AFA-CWA, a secret ballot election will be called to determine who will represent the Northwest flight attendants. In order to file for an election, AFA-CWA collected the required signature cards from the membership.

"Northwest flight attendants need the strength and support of a union experienced in representing flight attendants. AFA-CWA is that union," said Northwest flight attendant Shawn Fivecoat. "We desperately need an effective union right now and we are confident that AFA-CWA's extensive expertise will make a valuable difference in the careers of Northwest flight attendants."

For over 60 years, the Association of Flight Attendants has been serving as the voice for flight attendants in the workplace, in the aviation industry, in the media and on Capitol Hill. More than 46,000 flight attendants at 20 airlines come together to form AFA-CWA, the world's largest flight attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000-member strong Communications Workers of America (CWA), AFL-CIO. Visit us at www.afanet.org.

Better question is what happened to "We are worth it"??? PFAA is toast! :up:
Yeah, when I told people during the reamsters and PFAA fiasco that I don't trust PFAA ----they thought I was some jerk. "But it can't be worse than the REAMSTERS!" I got a good tounge lashing from alot of people.

I got a good tounge lashing from alot of people.
done properly a good ole tongue lashing can be quite enjoyable... ;) sorry jenny@nw its late and I enjoyed a couple of fine german brews, couldnt let that one pass.

now back on topic, I applaud the NWA F/A for wanting to dump a useless Union. The AA F/A dumped the TWU some years back which in my view is the worst union ever.

What good will it do for NWA F/A's to switch unions? If the NWA membership is too scared to walk out on strike, changing unions will be useless. The AFA is a fraud in my opinion. What type of union holds a candlelight "protest" in front of the white house and then agrees to more and more concessions? The AFA wants that dues money and nothing more. :down:

What good will it do for NWA F/A's to switch unions? If the NWA membership is too scared to walk out on strike, changing unions will be useless. The AFA is a fraud in my opinion. What type of union holds a candlelight "protest" in front of the white house and then agrees to more and more concessions? The AFA wants that dues money and nothing more. :down:

We lost faith but have hope--- and we seek GOOD strong leadership. It's been all talk and "no show" with this union (sorry if I offend any PFAA SUPPORTERS AGAIN)
Now how many suits does he have?

You know, we still don't know the outcome of the "sympathy strike" that we voted on. Everyone I know said they voted yes.
-no results posted on their website, the only info we got was that we voted not to do gor a sympathy strike :down: .

6 members did walk DESPITE the in-house propaganda. They were replaced by scabs F/A.

:down:

I agree princess, unions are a big business and they probably saw an "opportunity" and jumped right in... :angry:

Here's a thought that many of you may not know... unions are also unionized.

The AFA is all about dues. If the AFA really wanted to show the airlines they meant business, the F/A's would have walked out at United and USAIR together. Instead of doing the right thing, the AFA folded like a cheap lawnchair. If the present PFAA officers have failed in their duties(folding like a cheap lawnchair), NWA F/A's need to recall their elected officials and replace them newly elected ones. I think that is part of the PFAA constitution, isn't it?

done properly a good ole tongue lashing can be quite enjoyable... ;) sorry jenny@nw its late and I enjoyed a couple of fine german brews, couldnt let that one pass.

now back on topic, I applaud the NWA F/A for wanting to dump a useless Union. The AA F/A dumped the TWU some years back which in my view is the worst union ever.

Well at least AFA will NEVER agree to a staple job should another carrier either aquire NW or merge. The glorious APFA knew how to staple the TWA f/a's in one felt swoop. The IAM and APFA are to blame. The IAM gave up our Scope clause without a membership vote and the APFA just threw us out with the trash.

My best friend is with NW and it is my hope that they vote AFA in. At least he will have some job protection from being stapled.

Oh, here we go again!! Move on please. AFA can do the same as your IAM did. UA F/A's wanted to do it to US. AWA tried to do something other than DOH to US. So never say never.

Oh, here we go again!! Move on please. AFA can do the same as your IAM did. UA F/A's wanted to do it to US. AWA tried to do something other than DOH to US. So never say never.

Interesting IORFA, APFA did not have a solid Scope clause until the TWA/AA merger/aquistion. So never say never the AA f/a's.....you would cry foul as well.

All I am saying is that AFA could do exactly like your IAM did. You say they NEVER would, you don't know that, neither do I. When APFA got "solid scope" language into our contract is debatable. Yes we voted on and passed the contract after the TWA purchase, that contract was 3-4 years in the making. I and I assume you as well, don't really know when that article was ever agreed to. You make assumptions that it was after AA bought TWA and that APFA was scared we could be treated the same way in the future, maybe so. All I know is that APFA was doing its' job and looking out for its' members. Exactly what APFA is supposed to do. You might not like their motives or tactics, but it works.

Good luck to you all!
If you did not support your last Union (much less your current Union) how can you be expected to support a new Union?

Remember the 'U' in Union is YOU!

B) UT

Good luck to you all!
If you did not support your last Union (much less your current Union) how can you be expected to support a new Union?

Remember the 'U' in Union is YOU!

B) UT
I think the commonality is that we all want the change for the better and we all have hope. But---as always you gotta look at all the different aspects of it. What's the point of PFAA ? Was it really started by a bunch of lawyers (sorry not Guy Meek) who was looking for a quick investment? Why was the Teamsters (oops, I mean REAMSTERS) spreading horsesh!t popaganda around? )

well good thing is AFA stepped in (where PFAA didn't) and paid for the legal fees for those who were on volunatry furlough that who took it on the premise that they were to get unemployment like we had in the past.

Oh well. PFAA is also making furloughed people pay TO VOTE in or out of the T/A and stuff. How dumb.

PFAA you suck. :down: