Afa, Cwa, & Iam Updates

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Today the Charlotte Observer issued a report on AFA and CWA negotiations per the two columns below:

Flight Attendants, US Airways Meet

CHARLOTTE (Observer) - Negotiators for US Airways' flight attendants union met with airline officials Monday to receive a cost-cutting counterproposal from the company.

The two sides began meeting in Arlington, Va., in the late afternoon in a session expected to last into the night, said Mike Flores, a flight attendant union leader from Charlotte. No details of the company's proposal were available.

Previously, the company had proposed a 15 percent pay cut, elimination of the pension plan, a new pay scale for new hires and other work-rule changes designed to save money and increase flexibility. The company has been seeking about $150 million in annual concessions from flight attendants.

USA320Pilot comments: Following the AFA’s recent decision to seek membership approval for a national "job action", the union softened its stance last week with a press release titled "Progress Made in US Airways Talks". The press release was likely designed to limit passenger "booking away" damage and to adjust bankruptcy court sentiment, if necessary.

See Story

The parties continue to negotiate and there is reason to believe differences between US Airways and the AFA are narrowing.

CWA closer to deal?

CHARLOTTE (Observer) - The union representing US Airways' customer-service agents appears closer to a concessions agreement with the company, after the union submitted its latest contract proposal Sunday.The main differences lie in pay: The company wants all Communications Workers of America members to drop two steps down the seniority pay scale; the union is offering one step. The two also disagree over how much outsourcing the company can do to fill vacancies, though the company has dropped its initial request to be able to outsource all CWA jobs.

The latest CWA proposal and a union local presidents comment are listed below:

CWA Local 3640 Update – November 21, 2004

See Story

CWA Transformation Plan Proposal – November 22, 2004

See Story

USA320Pilot comments: The CWA is moving closer to a deal and is probably the next union to strike a new labor accord with US Airways, followed by the AFA.

IAM Update

IAM Negotiators and the Company have met this week, but there are limited reports on Maintenance Trainer, Fleet Service, or Mechanic and Related negotiations. Earlier today the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that the company met yesterday with mechanics' representatives, and the two sides are scheduled to talk again today. Frank Schifano, president of IAM Local 1976 in Pittsburgh and a member of the mechanics' negotiating team, summed up yesterday's talks by saying: "Let me put it this way -- they're slow.''

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

does anyone know if the iam is still chattin with mgmt or what? it seems that usa320 just loves to butt in on the other three unions- the unions that have the poorest wages in the company.

CynicalResAgent said:
He's afraid he might loose his six figure income and it's the way he deals with his fear.
YOU ARE CERTIANLY FREE TO LEAVE THIS COMPANY AT ANY TIME AND GET YOU OWN "SIX FIGURE INCOME" WE EARNED IT. HOW MANY YEARS OF SCHOOL DID YOU GO TO TO LEARN TO ANSWER THE PHONE?

First of all there are no discussions going on in regard to the maintenance instructors.

Both Fleet Service and Mechanic and Related Negotiating Committees were at CCY today.

Sure the CWA is close.....Close to striking a deal that will permit the Company to outsource any and all of their work, and Express what is left. You are a true Pipedreamer there 320.

luvthe9 said:
CynicalResAgent said:
He's afraid he might loose his six figure income and it's the way he deals with his fear.
YOU ARE CERTIANLY FREE TO LEAVE THIS COMPANY AT ANY TIME AND GET YOU OWN "SIX FIGURE INCOME" WE EARNED IT. HOW MANY YEARS OF SCHOOL DID YOU GO TO TO LEARN TO ANSWER THE PHONE?
[post="203533"][/post]​

Yes, you did earn it. I wouldn't claim you didn't. Unfortunately, the majority of piolts at UAIR must stand on the sidelines and fret over their financial prospects as those:

telephone picker-uppers
ramp rats
flying coke and sprite pourers
grease monkeys
and gate jockies

decide their collective fate.

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
Now I dont agree with everything A320 says but all he did by starting this post, was to give us some links to a few news stories. What the hell? Spare us the smartass comments already.
[post="203519"][/post]​

The thing about it is how he posts them. He posts the links then takes out parts he likes and then puts his spinning comments on them as if no one else is smart enough to figure out what the story is about. Of course his spin is well you know.

Did you notice he left this headline out of the IAM link he posted?

"Strike talk intensifies at airlines"

and this from story?

Asked the purpose behind labor's mobilization, David Lolly, an officer with IAM Airman Lodge 1044 in Pittsburgh, said, "What do you think?''

The purpose, as AFA international officers stated last week, is to give the airline industry, US Airways and Mitchell something to think about. Rejection of US Airways' union contracts, and judicial imposition of $1 billion in wage and benefit cuts the airline is seeking, could lead to a crippling nationwide disruption of air transportation.

"This could be a nasty mess,'' said Ronald Kuhlmann, vice president at R2A, a transportation consultancy based in San Francisco.

"If I were (US Airways and Mitchell), I certainly would be thinking about this,'' Kuhlmann added. "I think their challenges are becoming more complex.''

Usairways_vote_NO:

Usairways_vote_NO said: “The thing about it is how he posts them. He posts the links then takes out parts he likes and then puts his spinning comments on them as if no one else is smart enough to figure out what the story is about. Of course his spin is well you know. “

USA320Pilot comments: Do I post information and then take selected quotes as an exhibit to support my argument? Absolutely, if fact you and everybody else does too. That’s called debate and using information to support your point of view.

Do you and everybody else do this? Absolutely!

By the way, do you ever say anything positive or are you miserable all the time?

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. If you do not like my posts you can put them on block.

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
Now I dont agree with everything A320 says but all he did by starting this post, was to give us some links to a few news stories. What the hell? Spare us the smartass comments already.
[post="203519"][/post]​
What's so smartass about saying he has an agenda, to protect himself I feel his posts speak for themself. I don't think I was rude, just matter of fact about it.

320 , bingo! Thetruth and reality hurts..... Ignore the side show, keep posting whats out there. You do a great job of putting all the news together in one spot, which the few on here who are in denial, like to rebutt the truth. Reality hurts, esp for those who deny themselves of the truth!

luvthe9 said:
CynicalResAgent said:
[post="203533"][/post]​

Now Now watch your tone ....I rellly don't think that sitting in that seat earns you a six figure income ...think about it ....You guys have had it made for years very over paid for the job you perform....

HOW DOES THAT FEEL NOT VERY GOOD I'LL BET

Hey Captain ( if you are still one ), isnt it time for another editorial to the Observer? Still trying to figure out how you got away with that one...........