Afa Kamikaze Attack

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
From the Boyd Group's Monday morning Hot Flash

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm

The Inside-Kamikaze Approach To Labor Relations.

Now, nobody alive and sober should question the pain being inflicted on airline employees by wage cuts and loss of pension plans.

These veneer journalists who paint labor unions as a core cause of the industry's woes need to pick up their crayons and find another career. Since 9/11, 20% of airline employees have lost their jobs, and many of those who're left have seen their compensation slashed by 40% or more. Some have had their pensions cut or almost eliminated. Despite the don't-cry-for-them tone of some of the media stories, all this translates into families having to face near-disastrous financial circumstances.

Nobody, then, should question when labor unions attempt to counter these types of cut-backs. That's their job - trying to find alternatives to any proposed cuts in their members' compensation. Legitimate alternatives, that is. That eliminates alternatives that are nothing more than mindless, destructive tantrums designed to drive off passengers.

Unfortunately, that's just what the Association of Flight Attendants did this past week. They called for random strikes at four very financially-troubled carriers - US Airways, United, Hawaiian, and ATA. They want to lash out against the use of bankruptcy to cut pay and to terminate pension funds. That's understandable, even if an alternative solution at some airlines just isn't in the cards.

But in this case they are suggesting the equivalent of cutting their own financial throats. They announced the intention to carry out randomly-selected "strikes" that would target certain flights at the last minute. This would entirely disrupt the airline's entire system, causing, as the AFA has acronymed the program, chaos.

Real smart. Take it out on the passengers. That'll get'em to book more seats.

Do It Or I'll Shoot Myself. Regardless of the angry doggerel coming from the union, and the press releases announcing "solidarity", this is one of the most idiotic ideas since monks burned themselves in protest on the streets of Saigon in the 1960s. Back then, it changed nobody's minds, fixed nothing, and generally made a mess of the roadway. And in the end, they were, among other things, completely out of the monk-business.

These proposed "chaos" strikes are much the same. They won't contribute to a solution, and could well put the targeted airlines under. This ain't the 1980s. Today, even a minor reduction in an airline's revenue stream - like when consumers avoid an airline due to a highly-publicized strike threat - can choke cash flow and put an already bankrupt airline into the history column in just a few days.

That's exactly what could happen here. Telling the public right before the holidays that flight attendants at already financially-shaky airlines might stage walkouts is new dimension in raw, irresponsible stupidity. Let's be very clear: the anger over continued loss of pay, work rules, benefits and pensions is not invalid, and for a union to take every action reasonable to counter such events is legitimate.

But killing off the airline isn't one of them. Taking it out on passengers - as suggested by this AFA labor leader (or, perhaps more accurate, demagogue) - is the equivalent of cheap grandstanding that will achieve nothing except to tell the public to stay away from the airlines in question.

Even if the program doesn't come off, some of the damage has already been done. For example, there could be a lot of people not booking on US Airways for the holidays because "I heard they're going on strike." Revenues slide, bills come due. That could open up a whole new chapter in labor relations at the carrier.

Chapter 7.

Ok, after all the bickering back and forth in various threads, this is as good a place to jump in.....

I have as much work ethic as the next person. After all, the company may sign my pay check but it's the customer who ultimately pays my wages. So I like to give them the best journey I can.

But I have just one question for all those who say "Don't do anything to adversely affect the customers" or "Don't do anything that will adversely affect your fellow employees"....

If the operation continues to run smoothly despite any actions by management to "slash and burn" their way through the employee ranks, just what leverage is left for the employees to use to attempt to get management to truly negotiate fair and equitable solutions? Are you not really telling the employees to just take whatever morsels management is willing to dole out and be happy it's not worse?

Is this not a case of those making 6 figures (yes, UYH and USA320, I'm talking about you) telling others making less (or much, much less) to do whatever it takes so those 6 figure incomes continue?

Is this not a case of those anticipating near 6 figure incomes (yes, RICO, I'm talking about you) telling those less fortunate to do whatever it takes to preserve the possibility of that near 6 figure income?

Is this not a case of those who have sacrificed relatively little (yes, MMW, I could be talking about you) telling those who have already sacrificed much to just sacrifice some more so they themselves will not have to sacrifice more?

Is this not a case of those who like the travel convenience that U offers, or the status that comes with all those FF miles and ranks (yes, Art, Piney, etc, I'm talking about you) telling those who have given up so much already to just do whatever is necessary to keep from disturbing their convenience and perks?

Is this not a case of those who have given little or nothing telling those who have given so much to just keep giving whatever it takes - just don't upset my apple cart?

Jim

Jim,

As always , you sir are a voice of reason and have a clear understanding of the circumstance. Bravo Sir !!!

Sure , My end of the business is hampered by those whom are in the "use'em or lose'em train of thought , bit I'll be damned if I'm going to tell them how wrong they are for feeling or reacting this way.

I have only myself to answer too at this point in the game...and with that said . I'm not missing a moment of work out of my own weird sense of dealing with the subject of "Work Ethics"

Frankly , I think regardless what person A or work group A, B or C does? U has painted itself into a corner that it couldn't get out of with Supermans strength...and No I do not blame my fellow co-workers for this sad fact. I do believe the point has been made that We could all work for free...and U would still die from failed leadership and the never ending lack of true business vision. U thought too small and remained too small for too long. We are not a true Lecay Carrier by size or route system...and we are far too protracted and ill led to be an LCC.

Very well said, Jim.

Those who are willing to sacrifices for "the good of the profession" should best understand the consequences of martyrdom. That being said, the human story has been filled with people who have simply been pushed around too much and will not be pushed one more inch. The US of A was not born with a golden spoon of entitlement in its hand but was carved from the loins of men and women who recognized that humans deserved better treatment than they had known up that point. There are many other stories but the core principle is the same - some people are willing to sacrifice the comforts of the present age for the promise of something better.

While there is probably a better chance than not that US' employees' actions will sink the company and US will simply become a footnote in business and airline industry, each person at US must weigh whether they are willing to stand for what they believe. As Jim so aptly points out, by refusing to act, US employees provide tacit approval of US management. If nothing else, by acting on their convictions US employees may succeed at grounding what has unquestionably been one of the worst management teams in the industry.

You all face very difficult choices. I wish you each courage and wisdom.

Jim -

I am not telling anyone to not negotiate the best deal possible. I am not telling anyone to settle for anything less then what they feel they are worth. I am not asking anyone to make a larger sacrifice, so I don't have to.

There are set guidelines that unions follow to settle negotiating disputes. If it comes down to AFA having to use CHAOS as a legal means of protest over contract negotiations, then so be it. If it comes down to CWA having to strike in order to protest a court imposed contract that takes everything away from that employee group, then so be it. I may not want it to happen.....I may not like that it happens, but that is the unions right to protest in that fashion if there is no other alternative. But if we are talking about renegade employees (not organized) taking matters into their own hands and calling in sick as a form of protest, then you have lost my support completely.

I am not asking anyone to make any sacrifice on my behalf.

Phantom Fixer, WorldTraveler, & MMW,

I can't disagree with anything any of you said.

Jim

MarkMyWords said:
Jim -

I am not telling anyone to not negotiate the best deal possible. I am not telling anyone to settle for anything less then what they feel they are worth. I am not asking anyone to make a larger sacrifice, so I don't have to.

There are set guidelines that unions follow to settle negotiating disputes. If it comes down to AFA having to use CHAOS as a legal means of protest over contract negotiations, then so be it. If it comes down to CWA having to strike in order to protest a court imposed contract that takes everything away from that employee group, then so be it. I may not want it to happen.....I may not like that it happens, but that is the unions right to protest in that fashion if there is no other alternative. But if we are talking about renegade employees (not organized) taking matters into their own hands and calling in sick as a form of protest, then you have lost my support completely.

I am not asking anyone to make any sacrifice on my behalf.
[post="203272"][/post]​

Now this is one of the better posts you have written of late.

BoeingBoy said:
But I have just one question for all those who say "Don't do anything to adversely affect the customers" or "Don't do anything that will adversely affect your fellow employees"....

If the operation continues to run smoothly despite any actions by management to "slash and burn" their way through the employee ranks, just what leverage is left for the employees to use to attempt to get management to truly negotiate fair and equitable solutions? Are you not really telling the employees to just take whatever morsels management is willing to dole out and be happy it's not worse?

[post="203253"][/post]​

As as a loyal customer, this is my biggest personal concern. I also understand that like it or not we are ammunition to be used in this struggle. I don't like it, but I understand it.

I also don't like the fact that I will take over a 30% decrease in income this year because I'm paid on how well my company performs. Unfortunately the industry in which I work is being hit hard by imports (reader cheaper) on top of a very difficult economic environment. I don't like it, but I understand it.

And BTW, I think your post was one of the better ones I have seen on this board in a long time. And it hits close to home.

Not to worry, afa in name only will support this. Too much too lose.. as far as the damage done to the industry, its already done. You cant go back and change it. Look forward not backwards

If a person calls in sick and does not have a legitimate medical reason for not reporting to work they are being dishonest. Two wrongs do not make a right and if a person lies, I believe they should be terminated.

A person’s “character and integrity" comes into question for illegitimate sick use, regardless of their motivation.

Separately, Mike Boyd said, “Do It Or I'll Shoot Myself. Regardless of the angry doggerel coming from the union, and the press releases announcing "solidarity", this is one of the most idiotic ideas since monks burned themselves in protest on the streets of Saigon in the 1960s. Back then, it changed nobody's minds, fixed nothing, and generally made a mess of the roadway. And in the end, they were, among other things, completely out of the monk-business. These roposed "chaos" strikes are much the same. They won't contribute to a solution, and could well put the targeted airlines under. This ain't the 1980s. Today, even a minor reduction in an airline's revenue stream - like when consumers avoid an airline due to a highly-publicized strike threat - can choke cash flow and put an already bankrupt airline into the history column in just a few days.â€

Boyd’s comments above are accurate and it would not surprise me to see the Company use the AFA & CWA “job action†action press releases in-court to against the unions. The press releases have hurt bookings and revenue and thus this lost must be made up in additional costs cuts. Since the unions are contributing to the problem, it’s very likely the two unions have strengthened management’s argument for deeper cuts.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Boyd’s comments above are accurate and it would not surprise me to see the Company use the AFA & CWA “job actionâ€￾ action press releases in-court to against the unions. The press releases have hurt bookings and revenue and thus this lost must be made up in additional costs cuts. Since the unions are contributing to the problem, it’s very likely the two unions have strengthened management’s argument for deeper cuts.
[post="203408"][/post]​

Of course, if that is used it court, the unions could come right back with Doc Bronner and the "we is gonna liquidate" quotes. It won't happen.

ClueByFour said:
Of course, if that is used it court, the unions could come right back with Doc Bronner and the "we is gonna liquidate" quotes. It won't happen.
[post="203420"][/post]​

Clue...Bronners comments on liquidation in the press are well documented...we have seen them more than a few times over the course of his time here...and following them always left a trail of weakened bookings in their aftermath. This is only underscorded by what it has done to press employee frustraition to the limit too.

USA320Pilot said:
If a person calls in sick and does not have a legitimate medical reason for not reporting to work they are being dishonest. Two wrongs do not make a right and if a person lies, I believe they should be terminated.

A person’s “character and integrity" comes into question for illegitimate sick use, regardless of their motivation.

Separately, Mike Boyd said, “Do It Or I'll Shoot Myself. Regardless of the angry doggerel coming from the union, and the press releases announcing "solidarity", this is one of the most idiotic ideas since monks burned themselves in protest on the streets of Saigon in the 1960s. Back then, it changed nobody's minds, fixed nothing, and generally made a mess of the roadway. And in the end, they were, among other things, completely out of the monk-business. These roposed "chaos" strikes are much the same. They won't contribute to a solution, and could well put the targeted airlines under. This ain't the 1980s. Today, even a minor reduction in an airline's revenue stream - like when consumers avoid an airline due to a highly-publicized strike threat - can choke cash flow and put an already bankrupt airline into the history column in just a few days.â€

Boyd’s comments above are accurate and it would not surprise me to see the Company use the AFA & CWA “job action†action press releases in-court to against the unions. The press releases have hurt bookings and revenue and thus this lost must be made up in additional costs cuts. Since the unions are contributing to the problem, it’s very likely the two unions have strengthened management’s argument for deeper cuts.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="203408"][/post]​

Of course the character and integrity of management is never in play is it? It the cretins understood the importance of a motivated, content workforce this transformation would be happening with ALL the employees on board chomping at the bit to make this company succeed. But then, you wouldn't understand that now would you 320? Because it is always incumbent upon labor to see the inept management out of the woods.

I no longer have a dog in this fight. But it is very clear the management team at U does not understand the importance of having the employees on board. They are just the convenient target in the cost cutting game. You cannot run a company without employees. If U fails, and I think it will, it will be because this management can't, or won't, grasp a very simple concept.

"The most valuable asset of any company are the employees."

mr

USA320Pilot said:

[post="203408"][/post]​

Legitimate medical reason? Hmm, what is that? If I am exhausted from working to hard and the stress I am dealing with, is that legitimate? My doctor thinks so.

PineyBob said:
I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character!
– Theodore Roosevelt

Here is a guy who worked himself up from dirt to the position he has today.
[post="203434"][/post]​

Who in the world are you talking about? Certainly not Theodore Roosevelt who was born with a gold-plated platinum spoon in his mouth.

Latest posts