afa mec president recalled

usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Our dollars at work....A move to cover themselves when the ta is approved! Politics!

Special Meeting of the Master Executive Council was called by Councils 70 and 89. The meeting occurred via conference call late this afternoon. The purpose of this meeting was to discuss the future of the Master Executive President's position. During the meeting there was a motion by Council 70 to recall MEC President Mike Flores. The motion was seconded by Council 89. A roll call vote was taken as mandated by the Constitution and Bylaws. A roll call vote is when each of the LEC Presidents are able to use the total active number of members in their Council to cast their vote.

This process is consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws, Article IX.B.1 which states: "Any Officer of the Master Executive Council may be removed from office at any time, either with or without cause and will be conducted on a roll call basis."

A vote was taken on the motion for the recall of the Master Executive President. The motion passed. The votes per Council were as follows:

FOR AGAINST ABSTAIN
Council 41 10 335
Council 70 1499 500
Council 89 1552 500
Total
3061 1335

The Constitution and Bylaws specifies the Vice President of the Master Executive Council shall become the Acting President of the MEC and shall call a meeting of the Master Executive Council within 60 days for the purpose of electing a new President. Currently, we do have a unique situation pertaining to the election process as this process will be contingent upon the ratification of the Tentative Agreement. Should the Tentative Agreement be ratified it will trigger a new election for a combined Master Executive Council, including Master Executive Officers and Committee Chairpersons. This process should occur within thirty days after the ballot count. If the tentative agreement does not ratify then the Acting President will have a meeting for a special election of a new East MEC President.

In the interim the duties of the office of the MEC President will be undertaken by the current MEC Vice President.

The MEC Presidency is a very demanding position and many countless sacrifices are made.

We want to thank Mike Flores for his seven years of serving the membership as the MEC President.

What the hell happened?

Its all romper room games with these unions...Thats why the unions are slowly going away... The politics...money...power..(lack there of) jealousy..the list goes on! It is in fact a select group who likes the piece of pie that we provide and afterwards looses touch! They are becoming irrelevant and within 15 to 20 years from now....extinct!

Reactions: 2 people
Its all romper room games with these unions...Thats why the unions are slowly going away... The politics...money...power..(lack there of) jealousy..the list goes on! It is in fact a select group who likes the piece of pie that we provide and afterwards looses touch! They are becoming irrelevant and within 15 to 20 years from now....extinct!
I wonder if you have any idea what happened.

To characterize cleaning up one's back yard as "romper room games" makes you seem out of touch yourself.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm really going to miss those beautifully written letters followed by no noticeable action. Perhaps that's why he was shown the door"

I think, at meetings, throwing books at flight attendants and tossing chairs had something to do with it.

Wouldn't know! Not privy to that stuff. But reading here he wrote a damn good letter. Nothing like a sternly worded letter to get a CEO quaking in his boots. I'm sure Jerry Glass soiled his lawn clothes. Problem was that it was from laughing so hard. Maybe if he's had thrown a few chairs in Doug Parker's Direction the deal would have got better.

Reactions: 4 people
Our dollars at work....A move to cover themselves when the ta is approved! Politics!

Special Meeting of the Master Executive Council was called by Councils 70 and 89. The meeting occurred via conference call late this afternoon. The purpose of this meeting was to discuss the future of the Master Executive President's position. During the meeting there was a motion by Council 70 to recall MEC President Mike Flores. The motion was seconded by Council 89. A roll call vote was taken as mandated by the Constitution and Bylaws. A roll call vote is when each of the LEC Presidents are able to use the total active number of members in their Council to cast their vote.

This process is consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws, Article IX.B.1 which states: "Any Officer of the Master Executive Council may be removed from office at any time, either with or without cause and will be conducted on a roll call basis."

The Constitution and Bylaws specifies the Vice President of the Master Executive Council shall become the Acting President of the MEC and shall call a meeting of the Master Executive Council within 60 days for the purpose of electing a new President. Currently, we do have a unique situation pertaining to the election process as this process will be contingent upon the ratification of the Tentative Agreement. Should the Tentative Agreement be ratified it will trigger a new election for a combined Master Executive Council, including Master Executive Officers and Committee Chairpersons. This process should occur within thirty days after the ballot count. If the tentative agreement does not ratify then the Acting President will have a meeting for a special election of a new East MEC President.

I know you just quoted an e-line for most of this so I am ot picking a fight with you specifically. However, you say it is your dollars at work. I don't understand. Are you saying that they are wasting money? While I do belive your union wastes lots of your money, I am not sure in this case. Waste of time perhaps because a new president will be elected if your T/A passes. I give you that, but the real issue is that this should have been done long ago. It is clear by many that Mr. Flores is "nice" person as long as you agree with everything he says. Otherwise, it has been said over and over again that he talks down to most and it is his way or none. Many people have said he is a control freak and from the explination given why this took place that would appear to be a fair assesment of him.

There is some irony here. Everyone likes to quote from your constitution and by laws. That is fine and dandy, but they seem to only follow them when it works to their advantage. In this whole fiasco they ignored the merger policy written in that very constitution. There was suppose to be a meeting called within 30 days of your meger (read almost seven years ago) for the purpose of electing new MEC officers and merge the MEC into one. This means no EAST/WEST as it pertains to union business. This was to be done BEFORE joint negotiations took place. Some have scoffed at this idea but it IS what was SUPPOSE to happen. Wont go into whether right or wrong only that they seem to pick and choose rules to follow.

Anyway, Don't think any dollars were wasted here at all. It was even done by telephone. If they would have done that long ago you might not be debating on voting on the least of two evils. One being the T/A and one living with what you already have. Neither being all that great a choice.

To be clear he was fired for actively supporting the TA, the other councils did not.

FA's will be foolish if they reject this TA, the Industry landscape for the next 1-2 years does not look very promising with high oil. Throw in a merger and you may delay things 4-5 more years.

Reactions: 1 person
To be clear he was fired for actively supporting the TA, the other councils did not.

FA's will be foolish if they reject this TA, the Industry landscape for the next 1-2 years does not look very promising with high oil. Throw in a merger and you may delay things 4-5 more years.

"FA's will be foolish if they reject this TA..." Ummm....Hmmm...Must be true if you say so. Let me see here:
The management has seen fit to stall any and all contract progress for, umm...how many years now? Suddenly, with a possible deal with American on the horizon; (and many millions to then be pocketed by management),..well... it's contract time kiddies! No possible way that this could be the first actual opportunity for the FA's to have even some degree of leverage...Nah!..that couldn't be...far better to take whatever utter garbage Tempe begrudgingly offers, as scraps from the table.

Wait! What am I thinking!!?? It's been obvious for so many years, especially all the years that the west FA's have been without any contract improvement...and some working at food stamps levels...that management (the caring souls that they are) have somehow, for who knows why, just been mysteriously waiting for this magic moment to finally offer up something/anything...because, of course; "It's the right thing to do" ;) "The right thing to do" also seems to seek modification to the FA's scope terminology...Golly!..With American a possibility...I can only wonder at just why that might be the case.

Words just fail me here.

I've long wondered; In addition to the clearly constant, intravenous feeding of Kactus Koolaide: Does Tempe issue some contingents knee pads and chapstick?...or, must they pay for those themselves?

Reactions: 2 people