AFA Odd Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

finman

Veteran
Nov 9, 2005
From AFA Hotline a few days ago.

"Summer Reliability Incentive Program" Prompts Letter to Northwest Board of Directors
The fuzzy math in CEO Doug Steenland's August attendance goals for contract employees has prompted a letter to the NWA Board of Directors from the MEC.

Steenland's absurd $1,000 maximum reward would mean flying between 162 and 348 hours in 31 days. The unachievable cap of this Company-designed incentive program (see the August 2 Special Hotline) is insulting to our members, and will not dissuade us from our aim of seeking economic justice and the ultimate removal of NWA's top officer.

We trust the Board is following media coverage of Steenland's missteps and that it will be compelled to make the changes in executive leadership necessary to create a more collaborative environment for Northwest employees, generating profits for the airline's investors.

This seems like a real odd thing to complain about. Can an FA explain why AFA is upset about there being a $1000 cap on the summer reliabilty program, which obviously only applies to pilots. How is that insulting to an FA? Would they prefer if pilots got to receive the full 15% of their wages. I just can't get my arms around what AFA is upset about here.

I just can't get my arms around what AFA is upset about here.
First off the program applies to ALL contract employees.

What they are upset is that the $1000 cap is unattainable for flight attendants - a flight attendant at top pay scale would have to work approx 162 flight hours in about 31 days and a new hire would have to have to work approx 348 flight hours. Impossible and in fact not even allowed as the max you can fly is 100 (110 if you pick up another FA's trip).

So next time the company should institute separate caps per workgroup? Cap the FAs at $300 so they won't #### and whine?

I'm sure I've heard a more ridiculous complaint before, but it's been a while.

What they are upset is that the $1000 cap is unattainable for flight attendants - a flight attendant at top pay scale would have to work approx 162 flight hours in about 31 days and a new hire would have to have to work approx 348 flight hours. Impossible and in fact not even allowed as the max you can fly is 100 (110 if you pick up another FA's trip).
I would think the FAs would like the fact that they will all get their full 15% and not be capped just for coming to work as scheduled. The company could always lower the cap in order to make the FAs top out prior to 162 hours.

Yes, I know it applies to all contract employees. Again, how does capping the amount a pilot can make from this program insult an FA? Who cares how many hours an FA would have to work to reach the cap that obviously doesn't apply to them. If you are defending this hotwire, and the letter that the MEC apparently sent to the board complaining about this, then I'd like to hear a logical reason why. Repeating the idiotic reasoning in the hotwire is not going to do. If this hotwire represents of the intellect of your elected leaders, then the FA's are in big trouble.

Holy sh*t...Finman and I agree on something.

If this isn't a sign of the apocalypse, I don't know what is. :lol:

Seriously, the only beef any union could/should have with this is that if the company has $$$ to dole out for this type of stuff, then maybe they should be putting it toward long term permanent improvements to everyone's CBA. This is the tack ALPA took during the Holiday program, and is what the AFA should have done this time around.

As for the idea that somehow it's not "fair" that we can't acheive $1000, each employee should be looking at it as a chance to get something close to pre-BK wages for the month. Also, any employee that didn't take the 10 seconds to do the math has only themselves to blame for being upset.

FWIW, this program would get me $461.52 pre tax, assuming a 160 month. NW has taken enough from me; I plan on taking a bit back.

Again, how does capping the amount a pilot can make from this program insult an FA?

You are miss understanding the compliant - no one said they were upset that the pilots have a cap. The compliant is that the $1000 maxium amount is unattainable!

He just want to argue about something. Just wait. They are going to say its so easy to pick up a ton of hours when they have leaves.

You are miss understanding the compliant - no one said they were upset that the pilots have a cap. The compliant is that the $1000 maxium amount is unattainable!
Why would they be upset that they can't reach the maximum amount? This still does not make any sense. The maximum was only included because pilots would be getting $1500-$2000 based on their wages, and the company wanted to cap the pilot payout at $1000.

Why would they be upset that they can't reach the maximum amount? This still does not make any sense.
I am guessing it is because NW is hoping to gain some PR points by going around yelling loudly about how generous they are being by letting employees earn an extra $1K, thereby planting the idea in the public's and media's eyes that all employees are effectively getting a $1K raise should they want it, when in reality that number is unattainable for F/As.

I am guessing it is because NW is hoping to gain some PR points by going around yelling loudly about how generous they are being by letting employees earn an extra $1K, thereby planting the idea in the public's and media's eyes that all employees are effectively getting a $1K raise should they want it, when in reality that number is unattainable for F/As.
It's been stated pretty clearty that it's 15% of the monthly wages, with a maximum of $1000. I'd think anybody over the age of 10 could do some quick goat thinking and figure out what that actually means in terms of dollars. Again, would you all be happier if the pilots were allowed to earn their full 15% rather than having theirs effectively capped at 7-10%? That way the poor FA's wouldn't get their precious little feelings hurt.

IMO the reason the AFA is upset is really rather simple.

The widespread publicity around the bonus casts NWA in a favorable light. In the the case of AFA it is an unatainable bonus and therefore a blatant misrepresentation of the program for public relations purposes by NWA.

This is the way a company run by reptiles operates. He!! look at US Airways for exhibit A.
This is what has been stated in all media and internal articles.

The company also announced today that it is implementing a Summer
Reliability Incentive Program under which all contract employees,
including pilots if the proposal is ratified by the MEC, who achieve
perfect attendance from August 4 through September 3, inclusive, will
receive incentive pay equal to 15 percent of eligible earnings up to
$1000.

Again, how is this misleading or insulting? Should NWA have left out the $1000 maximum out of the language, and just impose the $1000 limit on the pilots in secret?

It's complaining like this that marginalizes the very legitimate issues that exist out there. How do you expect people to take you seriously in the future when they know that you made a big deal complaining about something like this.

If you average 5 flight hours per day and have a 30 day month that would be 150 (flight) hours. Who works EVERY DAY? Plus with FAA legalities you would have to be off somewhere in the month.

"Summer Reliability Incentive Program" :shock: That alone should tell anyone what conditions and morale are like at ScabAir. "... who achieve perfect attendance from August 4 through September 3 ?..." :shock: I wonder if employers like these [post="0"]100 Best[/post] have to do the same? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts