After The Speech

totobird

Senior
Nov 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
After listening to Dave's speech yesterday I for one am voting YES. I think Dave summed it all up in one sentence. "If the cuts are too painful for you then look for another job while you still have one".

For those of you who hate USAirways as I have read on here day after day go look for another job now and leave the majority of us to make USAirways great once again. I for one am not ready to see us go out of business. I really think we can make it.

Don't you people realize this?

Dave made an end around on the union leadership with his lousy speech and he is trying to pit employee against employee and from the sound of some of these "newbies" he has succeded.

He convinced me. 700UW why don't you leave and find another job. I want to stay and see it through. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for your friends and coworkers who want to stay.

Where is my ballot I am ready to vote YES !!!!!!!!!!

I agree with toto and Dave (to a certain degree). While I don't believe or agree with most of Daves speech. I agree, that if you don't like it, find another job while you still have one. Personally, I think I will start looking as I,again, did not hear any direction from his speech and question what the true goals for this company are.
I would have to be a fool to fight against the odds and try to be the only one who doesn't give concessions and end up without a job. The flight benefits alone might help when looking elsewhere for jobs.
What is you goal. Are you planning to fight till the end to prove yourself by watching the company fold? What will you say then on these boards, "I told you so, We showed him?

I don't quite get you reasoning.

totobird said:
He convinced me. 700UW why don't you leave and find another job. I want to stay and see it through. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for your friends and coworkers who want to stay.

Where is my ballot I am ready to vote YES !!!!!!!!!!
Don't you realize that you won't have a job?

He wants to become a virtual airline.

No heavy mtc or shops.
No utility.
No reservations
No Catering
No Agents

Just management and kiosks and vendors.

Well it seems that the end is definately approaching. U has had plenty of opportunity and time to get their house in order. A closeout sale is imminent at this point. Dave will get the groups to succumb to his demands just to have some other investor or company buy the outfit for a song and dance. Yes folks, good paying airline jobs are a thing of the past. There are better pastures out there. Non-reving isn't worth it anymore as all flights are usually full. It's better to just buy a cheap ticket and be confirmed! Good luck to all who stay and ride the bus to the last stop! :lol:

totobird,

I have to agree with pitguy, a preconceived "yes" vote is very illogical. Let's say, for example, you are a junior employee and inevitably will get laid off. Again, for example, the proposed contract calls for the elimination of severance pay, so you leave with nothing. Are you still voting yes? Speaking only for myself, I am taking a neutral position until I can see the facts. Dave's speech did not reveal any sense of direction. For the sake of this company and all of the employees, DAVE MUST LEAVE.

My YES vote is no different than all the naysayers on here that have already said they are voting NO.
They have no idea what they are voting NO on yet either.
All I know is that I am willing to at least give more to save my job and many others. And by the way I am not junior or a newbie. I am about to begin my 25th year.

For quite a few people in the Company, it will not matter whether one votes Yes or No....they still be out the door. So, do I want to vote Yes and be out the door, or do I vote No and still am out the door. I'd rather vote a No for me to be furloughed than a Yes.

During the last concessions, many Jr. people voted Yes. Where Are they Now. Out the Door. DUH!!!!!

And as for the Thought Process of some on here saying, "But think of your fellow employees, what about them and their careers.'? I think that is a joke. Each of us will vote for what is BEST for our own individual circumstances.

Ms. Janie, down in CLT could care less whether I have a job, Mr. Bob on the ramp in Phl could care less. New York Sally doesn't know I exist. So, get real. :ph34r:

totobird
Posted on Mar 25 2004, 07:48 AM

For those of you who hate USAirways as I have read on here day after day go look for another job now and leave the majority of us to make USAirways great once again. I for one am not ready to see us go out of business. I really think we can make it.

totobird,

I don't hate my job, I love it. I just hate the corporate raiders who have come in to skim the cream off the top, no wait, I mean most of the glass until our cup is empty.

During bankrupcy the unionized groups realized that the ecomony would not support the old economic models anymore. So the unionized groups voted themselves lower pay scales, more share of the benefit costs, and relaxed work rules, to help the company be more efficient. The unionized groups didn't do this once, they stepped up to the plate and did this twice.

The savings from the unionzed groups, not non-unionized labor, or organizational effeciency, but unionized groups was more than 1 billion dollars PER YEAR.

Now the unionized groups are being demonized for not being willing to give more. The unionized groups are asking why should they?

After giving up so much, has the company stepped up to the plate and utilized the tools that we have already given them. From what we have seen, the answer is no!

Where are the savings from non-unionized labor, or organizational efficiency? We don't see any! All we see is that 1 billion dollars of what used to be our wages has fallen into a black hole of waste and greed.

If, we see the company changing instead of studying;

If, we see the company utilizing the contract changes already conceded;

If, we see the company follow contracts, instead of using all of their corporate time and energy making war on their employees;

If, we see some returns and utilizations of the money and other concessions we have already given;

Then, the unionized groups will sit down with the company and see what other changes may be appropriate for our contracted labor.

Until then, it has become obvious that the only thing this management team is capable of running is employee harassment and economic terrorism campaigns.

ktflyhome said:
For quite a few people in the Company, it will not matter whether one votes Yes or No....they still be out the door. So, do I want to vote Yes and be out the door, or do I vote No and still am out the door. I'd rather vote a No for me to be furloughed than a Yes.

During the last concessions, many Jr. people voted Yes. Where Are they Now. Out the Door. DUH!!!!!

And as for the Thought Process of some on here saying, "But think of your fellow employees, what about them and their careers.'? I think that is a joke. Each of us will vote for what is BEST for our own individual circumstances.

Ms. Janie, down in CLT could care less whether I have a job, Mr. Bob on the ramp in Phl could care less. New York Sally doesn't know I exist. So, get real. :ph34r:
I'm confused, isn't voting 'yes' a vote for fewer furloughs? The company doesn't have to let the employees vote to go out of business or to furlough, do they? Folks keep posting about why Dave hasn't implemented the magic SWA transformation. But simply doing that without the growth that lower costs can bring would result in massive layoffs.

I certainly do NOT believe that their is any financial resources available to U to make this growth transformation without labor concessions. Why would anyone loan money to U with U's current labor agreements when they can loan it to jetBlue, AirTran or AWA? There is no reason.

I understand making a stand for principle, but surely no one can seriously beleive that there is a magical business plan that will result in ANY path for U to pay its employees more than AWA, jetBlue or AWA pay its employees. Maybe after you make the transition U compensation can rise to that of SWA. But you won't get the financing to get there unless salaries go down.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but using a time machine in your plan, isn't allowed.

700UW said:
Don't you people realize this?

Dave made an end around on the union leadership with his lousy speech and he is trying to pit employee against employee and from the sound of some of these "newbies" he has succeded.
700 -

This point is a bit annoying to me. The AFA said that they would not be the mouth piece of the company. That Dave and Dave should take their "plan and presentation" to the employees and let them decide if they want the AFA to come to the table to open discussions. Now the IAM is pissed off because the company went to the employees to plead their case. But all this time they have been asking the IAM to come to the table to talk - not negotiate, yet. The IAM refused to come and hear "the plan" or what ever they are calling it.

I do support the meetings that the IAM has had with the company regarding cost savings ideas, but don't get pissed because the company brought their ideas directly to the employees. In all honesty, I don't think that Dave could say anything that would change many people's minds with in the IAM due to the outsourcing issue, but at least he got the message out there.