AFW FIASCO AT BAY 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dissident

Senior
Contributor
Dec 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Well folks it looks like the aircraft pictured below just returned from a test flight after a heavy check. While performing some more checks the ground proximity was deactivted for some tests. The landing gear handle was actuated and SUPRISE!!! Someone forgot to put in the nose gear pin. Preliminary reports also indicate there is damage to one of the main landing gear as well. I guess those Tulsa boys wont feel so bad about ripping that forward entry door off of that 777 they just completed the heavy on anymore. :shock:
This is what happens when you dont follow procedures. Plain and simple.

I am used to hearing LOUD BANGS at AFW, but THIS ONE takes the cake. It was Boutwell's JAW hitting the floor! Aren't we TRYING to REDUCE COSTS? Who, in the House Of Clowns, had to call MR Lyons? MOC? I bet the call to FINANCE, for repair funding, was especially Humbling!!

<_< -------- Not good! But sh*%t happens! We had a nose gear collapse on us here at MCI years back on an 767. An Aircraft that size sitting on it's nose is a sight to behold! Retract cylinder failed after being farmed out to third party for overhaul!

Got an update that the keel beam might be damaged as well. Looks like the plane just might be scrapola!!! O course they will figure this in to next quarters loss as well. On the brighter side thats one less plane we have to worry about retiring. :shock:

Got an update that the keel beam might be damaged as well. Looks like the plane just might be scrapola!!! O course they will figure this in to next quarters loss as well. On the brighter side thats one less plane we have to worry about retiring. :shock:
<_< -------- Hell! Send it to MCI!!! If anyone can fix it, they can! :shock:

<_< -------- Hell! Send it to MCI!!! If anyone can fix it, they can! :shock:
I dunno about that gramps!!!!! MCI doesn't seem to know what intergrainular corrosion looks like!!!!!!! They to think painting over it will stop it!!!!!!!!! Also to the Dissident, A/C 350 is the newest 767. This was it's first heavy check...maybe it's last?

It seems at that time when MCI was spraying over the corrosion all the bases were fighting for work so MCI figured if they could just get planes out the door fast and ahead of schedule they would satisfy the company and they would ultimately go untouched in a possible RIF that AA was talking about at that time
(they were also talking about a base closure), in which the RIF never materialized into anything, if anything that's were your VBR's kicked in or should i say brainstormed..

I was wondering how a landing gear could be put while a plane is on the ground. I am a fsc and thought that this was (almost impossible) just curious since there are so many people around an aircraft while on the ground. Is this possible during a normal day to day operation. Thank you for any insight on this,

Only if the ground proximity sensor is disabled. That should override the raise-gear command if the AC is within X feet of the ground. Likewise, it is supposed to alert if you approach the ground without the gear being down...

I was wondering how a landing gear could be put while a plane is on the ground. I am a fsc and thought that this was (almost impossible) just curious since there are so many people around an aircraft while on the ground. Is this possible during a normal day to day operation. Thank you for any insight on this,
Next time you do a push back, maybe you'll think twice about all the stress you're putting on that nose gear when you go balls to the wall then slam on the brakes. :lol:

Obviously someone forgot to pin the gears in their haste to get the airplane out on time. Oops! :huh:

Unless the gear did not fully extend prior to landing and the gear is not mechanically locked over center, you cannot retract the gear without raising the handle (except Fokker 100). Normally, even if you pull the landing gear handle on the ground, the gear will not retract. NORMALLY. Deactivation of the ground prox system will suppres the aural warning (landing gear...landing gear...), green light indication, and I believe a "gear unsafe" status page message. This condition will allow the gear handle to retract the gear with weight on wheels. Thats why the gears are supposed to be pinned whenever there is a check of the landing gear system.
An airplane can land with an unsafe gear (plus indication failure) and taxi to the gate with the gear held down by hydraulic pressure. Once the pumps are turned off, the gear could collapse. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.