AFW MECHANICS GET REWARDED FOR GOOD JOB

Oct 9, 2003
In the last few months, AFW mechanics have put out several contract aircraft checks on time and under budget. Recently Interface aircraft 804MS went out on time. Actually, it was two days ahead of what was bid. All other bids were 90 days or more to "C"-check this custom built airplane. AFW mechanics got it out in less than five weeks, despite having to fix the "scab" insulation contractor's screw ups and many other unexpected problems. AFW also put out a ZZZOOOOMM 767 on time and on budget. North American continues to bring their aircraft in for overhaul. Avitas keeps sending us work. Must be doing something right there.

What does AFW management do to thank it's mechanics? A Thank you? NO. A pat on the back? NO. A lousy piece of a pizza? No, we have a meeting telling us that the 4-10 shift is being eliminated because the "Boston" consulting group doesn't like it! Beat those troops! They'll work harder!

we have a meeting telling us that the 4-10 shift is being eliminated because the "Boston" consulting group doesn't like it! Beat those troops! They'll work harder!

Interesting. In January, there was an article in Forbes or Fortune about the best companies to work for. No, AA did not make it, but Boston Consulting was way up there. They hire hotshot MBAs with no working experience. One of my sons is a Stanford MBA student, and interviewed with them. He ended up at McKinsey Consulting, but they hired some others from his class. All yuppies with no idea of how morale or motivation or rewards work. Their cirriculum includes just one class of Organizational Behavior, stuff that lesser schools teach their undergrads way early in that major.

That may explain how BC told AA to cut the 4 day shift.

What consulting group is this? Do you have a link so when they show up at my station I know what to expect.

Consulting, last refuge of someone who could not get a job at the company they are consulting for.

It's always been my humble opinion that that any time a company brings in consultants the leadership of that company effectively says "We are incapable of running the company so we need egg heads with no experience running a business to tell us how to do it".

It's always been my humble opinion that that any time a company brings in consultants the leadership of that company effectively says "We are incapable of running the company so we need egg heads with no experience running a business to tell us how to do it".
But yet those who make the decision to allow others to run the business are rewarded greatly with stock options.

BCG, Mercer, McKinsey etc. don't necessarily get rejects, but you're right they've got a lot of inexperienced people put into the position of giving advice to far more seasoned managers.

My experience is that consultants don't necessarily come up with any new ideas, so it's the perfect job for freshly minted MBA's. They get to test out all their b-school theory without any concern for being held accountable when they screw up.

I've seen ideas proposed by a mid-level manager or analyst be summarily dismissed by a director or VP, yet the same idea proposed by a consultant will have senior management's blessing in a hearbeat.

Most of the time the ideas are dismissed when suggested from within because the directors and VP's know the ideas will fail, and there will be ramifications when that happens. When a consultant's ideas fail, the only ones blamed are the group responsible for having carried out their suggestions.

In the last few months, AFW mechanics have put out several contract aircraft checks on time and under budget. Recently Interface aircraft 804MS went out on time. Actually, it was two days ahead of what was bid. All other bids were 90 days or more to "C"-check this custom built airplane. AFW mechanics got it out in less than five weeks, despite having to fix the "scab" insulation contractor's screw ups and many other unexpected problems. AFW also put out a ZZZOOOOMM 767 on time and on budget. North American continues to bring their aircraft in for overhaul. Avitas keeps sending us work. Must be doing something right there.

What does AFW management do to thank it's mechanics? A Thank you? NO. A pat on the back? NO. A lousy piece of a pizza? No, we have a meeting telling us that the 4-10 shift is being eliminated because the "Boston" consulting group doesn't like it! Beat those troops! They'll work harder!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PRINCESS,
I'm sad to hear this, really I am !

BUT, not to worry. You've been "around the block" a time or two, so NOW you folks ACTIVATE the time proven "repellent" of WORK to(safety) RULE/sick time/ID etc,etc, and NOT give a ####...WHEN the next a/c leaves the "barn"

I guarentee, THAT will generate a LOT of HURRIED MEETINGS :shock: :shock: :shock:

NH/BB's

Sounds like the AFW boyz never took a pay cut
Keep helping them out your bonuses and stock options are in the mail

;)

Has anyone put one and one together yet and figured out that the BCG group probably yanked the 4-10's because the membership decided to pull out of the PLI processes. I smell retaliation here........Just my thoughts. ;)

Eh Eh!! has been pushing all the unions around for over four years now!! It is time for us all, to stand up and push back!! They will take and take, and push and push untill they get an aluminum enema!! It is very sad that the passengers must suffer before the compaany will notice us!! I truely hate that!!! I think we need to follow all the new rules they have been pushing and dig up some of their old rules and have a safety week or weeks with all the unions!!! First and foremost we all must remember if we hurry on the job and get hurt we only have 10 injury on duty days!! Not 80 like before!! Hey you have 10 days to grow a new spine or a knee or ankle!!!

JUST FOLLOW THE RULES BABY!!!!

Has anyone put one and one together yet and figured out that the BCG group probably yanked the 4-10's because the membership decided to pull out of the PLI processes. I smell retaliation here........Just my thoughts. ;)

AA management thrives on retaliation. They will even retaliate when there is nothing to retaliate for, just to keep in practice and because it feels good. It is possible that they felt like doing it and used BC as a blame-taker.

AFW management has hated the 4-10 shift even before it was implemented. Anything that helps the workers is no good at AA. During the 4-10 meeting all the charts from Boston Con-sulting were purposely skewed to show how the 4-10 shift was hurting AFW on the weekends. Only one problem with their analysis: AFW management recently shutdown the weekend coverage crew and had been cutting this crew for months(maybe on purpose to make the 4-10 fail?).

AFW management was informed at these meetings that if the 4-10 shift was eliminated,Boston Con-sulting would have to make some new charts with lot's of RED ink. ;)

I would never wish for 4 - 10 work schedule.
As far as I am concerned 8 hours a day straight pay then if they want more it has to be overtime.

Latest posts