Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Airline Outlook
Airbus Extends Intervals for A320 Maintenance Checks
Aviation Week & Space Technology
12/06/2004, page 19

Edited by Frances Fiorino

Rewriting A320 'Check' Book

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), FAA and Transport Canada approved an increase in intervals between scheduled maintenance for the Airbus A320 family. Time between A checks will increase to 600 hr. from 500 hr., and C checks to every 20 months or 6,000 flight hours from 15 months. The five-year heavy check is extended to six years, and the 10-year heavy check to 12 years. Airbus says the move is aimed at reducing overall maintenance costs.

This will suspend all A320-series heavy checks for 1 year. Anyone know how many heavy checks were supposed to happen in the next year and how much it will save by not having to do them (until a year later)?

Jim

Job security for the mechanic. Next time you are in the aft lav area of a bus look around the base of the exterior of the lav area, take a guess of what that suspicious white powder may be????? Corrosion!!!!!! Don't worry though one coat of paint by the contractor and you will never be able to tell the aircraft is rotting away!!!!!! :(

AA got time extensions between Light C checks on our B-737 800's.
You are right that it will just mean more corrosion rework at Heavy C checks.

It won't suspend it for one year as the planes will have to be brought in early as they were bought so close together they will have planes out of time if they wait till the 6 year time frame.

I know US put in for a 6 month extension and it has not been granted yet/

I see your point. An extreme example would be if 5 Buses were delivered in a week. Some would have to be sent in for heavy maintenance early to avoid capacity limits of the maintenance facility from being overwhelmed.

Still, you'd think that this extension would produce a break in scheduled heavy maintenance - if not the full year, maybe something like 10-11 months for most of the planes.

My only question is whether any extra cost of the heavy checks incurred by extending them (more corrosion, etc) will outweigh the savings produced by spacing them further apart. Airbus apparently thinks so, but I guess only time will tell.

Jim

AP Tech said:
Job security for the mechanic. Next time you are in the aft lav area of a bus look around the base of the exterior of the lav area, take a guess of what that suspicious white powder may be????? Corrosion!!!!!! Don't worry though one coat of paint by the contractor and you will never be able to tell the aircraft is rotting away!!!!!! :(
[post="227114"][/post]​

Good point about the lav corrosion. I think it is widely known and is being taken care of as our mechanics find them.
As for the other comment about the contractor and coat of paint. Do you have specific information that this is happeneing? I would surely like to get into this one if you can provide me with facts.

I think this only applies to newly delivered aircraft with phase II corrosion protection. We were granted an extension of six months on the S1 checks, but to my knowledge we have not been granted the full year. You have to establish a track record for the FAA to approve the extension.

A320 Driver

PITMTC, you should know by now how bad those lav walls are. They were originally made of aluminum honeycomb. Who would have thought that pi$$ and water and spilt Coke would've had any affect on them. :down:

Sorry but I cannot provide specifics about the "paint over", its just my general opinion about outsourcing. Time=Money, ETR has to be made. Were you around when we received the old EAL 57's from third party maintenance?

AP Tech said:
Sorry but I cannot provide specifics about the "paint over", its just my general opinion about outsourcing. Time=Money, ETR has to be made. Were you around when we received the old EAL 57's from third party maintenance?
[post="227331"][/post]​

Fair enough about the general opinion. Let me offer you some insight.
I have to be concerned about the product we get from BFM. I fly on these aircraft.
I happen to know several people that are down there looking over the work. They state it is a pretty clean operation. Not nearly as shabby as one with a general opinion about outsourcing, like myself, would think.

Yes 700 we did have problems with the first batch of aircraft that came out of there, no need to go over everything again.

The 757's you are talking about I remember very well, made a lot of money on 600 myself, but I think with all the FAA focus on those outfits, things should have changed a bit, I hope.

I still would prefer our guys doing the work, but right now it is a moot point.

Latest posts