Airbus Ruling/Risky Business/Info for Dave

Aug 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Machinists Preserve Outsourcing
Injunction Against US Airways

Washington, D.C., November 5, 2003 – The Third Circuit Court of Appeals today denied US Airways’ request for an emergency stay of a preliminary injunction granted to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) by District Court Judge Robert Cindrich on October 21, 2003. The injunction prevents US Airways from subcontracting heavy maintenance of its Airbus aircraft.

“We are gratified by the court’s decision, but at the same time we are dismayed with the lack of action by US Airways to have this work performed in-house,†said Robert Roach, Jr., IAM General Vice President of Transportation. “The preliminary injunction ordering US Airways to stop violating the Railway Labor Act was issued 15 days ago, yet the airline has not taken any steps to perform the maintenance with US Airways employees.â€

The preliminary injunction ordered US Airways to conclude maintenance on one Airbus aircraft, and barred work on additional aircraft the airline planned to have overhauled at foreign-owned Singapore Technologies Mobile Aerospace Engineering in Alabama. The IAM is seeking damages for the work performed in violation of the collective bargaining agreement and status quo provisions of the Railway Labor Act.

“US Airways’ employees are well aware of the disdain CEO David Siegel has for them,†said Roach. “But his arrogance will now affect US Airways’ passengers since the airline has chosen to take aircraft out of service at the beginning of the holiday travel season, instead of having US Airways employees perform the maintenance they were hired to do.â€

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals has not yet ruled on US Airways’ appeal of the preliminary injunction.

IAM District 141-M represents 5,000 Mechanic & Related employees at US Airways. IAM District 141 represents the airline’s 4,450 Fleet Service Employees. More information about the Machinists Union can be found on our web site at www.goiam.org.

-30-

seeking the truth said:
To FLY ON THE WALL AND HAWK,

www.iam141m.org

we're ready to start turning wrenches tomorrow!!!!

Will management heed or continue to bleed ?????
Arrogance (a synonym for low self-esteem). I believe our arrogant CEO has that issue and others and these are affecting his rational judgment in dealing with labor and in particular the IAM. Like a little boy who just had his behind slapped and now he is pouting. This man has walked the floors and pointed to mechanics in a condescending arrogant tone saying "you will never touch the airbus work". This is the kind of leader we have steering the ship. Because of his arrogance I believe this man will not back down, even if it means destroying the entire mainline operations, and exactly why I believe the only answer is to have him replaced. I hope the BOD realizes what is obviously a real stalemate, that labor's resolve is set, and that this CEO’s time has passed, along with his entire team of union busters because they have failed to break the unions let alone run a profitable airline.

The New Lorenzo says "Oh no! What am I going to do now? I know. I will just let the planes sit and I will just run the company into the ground. That will show 'em".

pitguy said:
The New Lorenzo says "Oh no! What am I going to do now? I know. I will just let the planes sit and I will just run the company into the ground. That will show 'em".
And the reason the BOD better wake up real soon and replace this guy and his sorry team.

This is indeed another win on the road to defeating Dave's actions against labor.

However Rome continues to burn as Dave makes speaches about cost cutting.

Let me provide an example of how his continued actions are hampering the entire operation...and causing costs to skyrocket all the while.

Some are aware that Acft 185 (A321) had to divert into ILM while making a scheduled run from PHL to the carribean. The diversion was thankfully un-eventfull and the passengers got to their destination in due course.

Now...We get to the cost issue. Acft 185 required work in ILM to continue flying. Due to operational shortages of Acft...mechanics could not simply be flown to ILM with the needed parts to repair the Acft on a schedled flight....so a SouthEast Airmotive Charter plane carried mechanics and parts to ILM to speed it's return to service , so we thought.

Upon initial inspection of 185...it was discovered to have oil leaks within the IDG (Intergrated Drive Generator). More parts were required from CLT...so the Charter plane made another trip back to CLT to obtain them..and then fly back to ILM again. Acft 185 eventually was brought into a ferriable condition...and was flown to CLT for additional work.

CLT Maintenance discovered the need for additional seals and packings to make a final and complete repair...yet U's shelves were bare for these nickle and dime items...hince the plane sat even longer as parts were obtained from our friends at NW out of DTW and DCA respectively.

Operations informed the duty manager of maintenance in PIT that 185 had to be ready for an early A.M. revenued flight...due to no other Acft being available to cover it's absence from use the following morning.

Here again , SouthEast Airmotive (King Air 90) was tasked at great expense to fly to an FBO in DTW from CLT and meet a bonded courier whom we tasked to get the part from NW stores in DTW and meet the air taxi (Charter) and hand off the part.

Many will ask why this happens. It's simple , bean counters have allowed our spare parts levels to drop to un-acceptable levels...and foot-dragging has become the order of the day on processing purchase orders for out of stock items. We were out of the game over .50 worth of parts here...yet un-filled purchase orders for these items went un-attended to.

Dave here is allowing our Acft to languish in places like MHV , GYR and Mobile Al. while he fights his battle against the IAM and it's members....yet the work is not being performed , the planes payments and insurance costs continue to mount up...and we can't even cover an un-scheduled maintenace issue with a currently depleated fleet.

One has to ask...is it our costs that are out of line?...or is it the braintrust in CCY that is killing us? I do believe it's been prooven that our wages are in line or lower than other legacy and LCC's that "MAKE MONEY"....I say the problems stems from the top on all accounts.

AOG-N-IT said:
This is indeed another win on the road to defeating Dave's actions against labor.

However Rome continues to burn as Dave makes speaches about cost cutting.

Let me provide an example of how his continued actions are hampering the entire operation...and causing costs to skyrocket all the while.

Some are aware that Acft 185 (A321) had to divert into ILM while making a scheduled run from PHL to the carribean. The diversion was thankfully un-eventfull and the passengers got to their destination in due course.

Now...We get to the cost issue. Acft 185 required work in ILM to continue flying. Due to operational shortages of Acft...mechanics could not simply be flown to ILM with the needed parts to repair the Acft on a schedled flight....so a SouthEast Airmotive Charter plane carried mechanics and parts to ILM to speed it's return to service , so we thought.

Upon initial inspection of 185...it was discovered to have oil leaks within the IDG (Intergrated Drive Generator). More parts were required from CLT...so the Charter plane made another trip back to CLT to obtain them..and then fly back to ILM again. Acft 185 eventually was brought into a ferriable condition...and was flown to CLT for additional work.

CLT Maintenance discovered the need for additional seals and packings to make a final and complete repair...yet U's shelves were bare for these nickle and dime items...hince the plane sat even longer as parts were obtained from our friends at NW out of DTW and DCA respectively.

Operations informed the duty manager of maintenance in PIT that 185 had to be ready for an early A.M. revenued flight...due to no other Acft being available to cover it's absence from use the following morning.

Here again , SouthEast Airmotive (King Air 90) was tasked at great expense to fly to an FBO in DTW from CLT and meet a bonded courier whom we tasked to get the part from NW stores in DTW and meet the air taxi (Charter) and hand off the part.

Many will ask why this happens. It's simple , bean counters have allowed our spare parts levels to drop to un-acceptable levels...and foot-dragging has become the order of the day on processing purchase orders for out of stock items. We were out of the game over .50 worth of parts here...yet un-filled purchase orders for these items went un-attended to.

Dave here is allowing our Acft to languish in places like MHV , GYR and Mobile Al. while he fights his battle against the IAM and it's members....yet the work is not being performed , the planes payments and insurance costs continue to mount up...and we can't even cover an un-scheduled maintenace issue with a currently depleated fleet.

One has to ask...is it our costs that are out of line?...or is it the braintrust in CCY that is killing us? I do believe it's been prooven that our wages are in line or lower than other legacy and LCC's that "MAKE MONEY"....I say the problems stems from the top on all accounts.
and now the plot thickens.

AOG-N-IT said:
I say the problems stems from the top on all accounts.
True and just one more glaring example of why we need a new and improved management team, one that will work with and not against us. We are sinking fast with this team at the helm, WAKE UP BOD!

seeking the truth said:
Couldn't agree with you more Cav!!! Egos are getting spanked !!!

Will management heed or continue to bleed ????
I have to agree that it's EGO over Logic here.

I believe Dave has the same type of complex that his buddy at MESA has.

Jonathan Ornstien of MESA uses his feelings of be snubbed at college frats for being Jewish as his need to rise to the top of the industry.

Siegel must be using his hostlities of being a DWARF to fuel his fruitless battles against labor agreements which he and his croanies endorsed to begin with.

The isue is not right or wrong with Siegel...and it's damn sure not profit oriented anymore...it's now a matter of EGO...and I think he needs to be prepared for another shot of humility soon....or we aren't going to have an airline left to begin with.

Hurry...someone get Davey on the Dr. Phil show before it's too late for us all.

Congrats to the IAM for one more win against evil !
This is just one step of many required.
If rumors are true that Dave has called labor rep's to CCY for talks of more cuts,
it's no wonder that no effort has been made to accomplish Airbus heavy ck's by those hired to do it and own the work.
Upper mgmt. at U knows that the employee's have had enough of the lies and deception and with total lack of trust of Dave they will have no luck getting more cuts just by asking.
Watch out for the end around !
<_<

God Bless IAM and all of labor who fight this tyranny.

There is no way any Court of appeals will overturn that ruling in PHL now.

I have this suspecion that Dave is calling the labors leaders to the table to discuss what they could not steal from the IAM.

The competition with other carriers has nothing to with routes or revenue or enhancing the operation, IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH COMPETING ON WHO AND WHAT CARRIER CAN GET AND BEAT THE LOWEST LABOR COSTS IN THE INDUSTRY!

That's the only way U management knows how to compete. Yup, this makes me feel all fuzzy and a team player to help management compete head on with the competition.

I'm as concerned with another possible reduction in the headcount ..as I am with the thought of being asked to gve up more wages or benefits.

Niether will do any actual good...unless someone (Dave) makes up his mind to actually start running an airline.

I believe the figures are clear...

Reducing the fleet from over 400 Acft to 279 didn't do it

Reducing the employee numbers hasn't done it.

Reducing cities from Mainline to Express hasn't done it.

Reducing leasing costs hasn't done it

Almost 2 Billion dollars in concessions hasn't done it.

Closing Maintenance Facilities (TPA) hasn't done it.

What exactly does this say about how we are being run...or the folks that keep making these failed need projections ??? This tells me clearly that the powers that be don't have a clue about what it's going to take to right things. Yet another reason that Siegel and Friends are the ones that need to be served up "Pink slips"

Spare me the banter about the level of the playing field continuing to shift against us. We were no more competative before the explosion in growth of JetBlue and AirTran...WN isn't even an example in this case...we have been losing ground to them for years already.