Airbus "s" Checks

cat 111

Advanced
Aug 25, 2002
Alabama Dave & Labor Unfriendly Dave

I hope the mechanics shut down the airline if you put the airbus heavy check in a 3rd party maint. facility. I can only hope the IAM lives up to their THREAT like you guys did to us. STRIKE THE AIRLINE IF ONE AIRBUS GETS OUTSOURCED.

Is it true that the AMFA analysis of the IAM contract, AMFA stated the company has the right to farm out the work under the IAM contract? Its been floating around PHL and just curious if its an urban legend.

The one thing I do know is you can't trust MANAGEMENT and you can't trust the IAM.

PineyBob said:
A different path must be found. <snip>

Dave could make a huge PR coup if he would call as many mechanics into a hangar and apologize and say he made a mistake and announce a new cost cutting iniative that involved a "Gains Sharing" of cost savings with the Mechs.

<snip>

This is progressive thinking, bordering on wishful thinking, but somebody needs to think ahead
Piney Bob,

I think a key to understanding this entire situation is we have entirely different goals at play in this situation. If one were to assume that the "Daves" actually want to operate and build a profitable airline, then your reasoning and frequent suggestions are right on target.

The employee's goals are to survive the axe and attempt to maintain a reasonable standard of living as they watch themselves slide backward in career expectation, economic survival, working conditions, and retirement options. The employees are committed to the long run, as we have been here a long time and had hoped for some security.

However it becomes more obvious with each new assault on the employees (and passengers - customers ), that this is not the business plan. There is no marketing plan for a reason. What is our identity and product?

What we are witnessing and living is the systematic controlled demolition of US Airways until the small remnants left can be liquidated to allow the Dave's to take their profits and run. IMO, they have no plans to spend a significant amount of time at the helm. They are committed to the short dash and have made a lot happen in a short time.

As you well know, there are Leaders... and there are Bosses. We have no leadership. Management has zero credibility with the employees, zero credibility with our customer base, and zero credibility with anyone else that observes their heavy handed arrogance.

With conflicting goals, no business plan, no leadership, no marketing, employee morale at an all time low and still declining... this is what we are all facing. This is why your well intentioned suggestions and observations don't apply in this situation... not only are we not on the "same page" (employees and upper management)... we're not even in the same library!

We appreciate the loyalty and support of customers like yourself and are embarrassed by the product we're forced to provide these days. By offering this cr*p product we are alienating our loyal customers, and it just gets uglier.

I actually chuckled when I read about Dave offering an apology.

I know you mean well Piney Bob, but we're talking two entirely different game plans here. Progressive thinking and building teamwork went out the window a long time ago. This is a street fight now.

Bob, the most drastic step is a strike, but if we dont do it, the company will get away with the farmout, at least when it goes to court both sides get an injunction and we go back to work and the farmout stops and it goes to expidited arbitration. And when we strike all the unionized groups should be honoring the picket line to force more pressure on the company to adhere to the contract language which does not permit farmout of heavy maintenance.

And at the informational meeting in CLT, seham said the language does not support the work being farmed out.

Dilligas
well spoken
Dave has is a $12.88/ hour picture.....and we cant afford to be in it.
It was the piolts pension
Now the farming out of heavy manitence
while dueling with the CWA and F/A
And weather they know it or not the fleet service already voted to farm their own jobs out to Express

Dilligas,

You are new to these boards?? You are so exact and so well spoken. Many of us share your insight and kinow that this management is not here to operate the airline; they are here to position the company to line their pockets; and that we as employees are just "collateral damage" when it comes to the "business plan".

Many didn't see this last year at the table or when the vote was taken for these concesions, but we see it very "crystal" clear now.

Now, we just hold on and try to survive for as long as we can until the axe falls.

In the meantime, for me, I have my work cut out for me with this management....until....

PITbull said:
Dilligas,

You are new to these boards?? <snip>
PITbull,

I've been reading this board since August 2002, after the decline in the Yahoo discussion boards. I've only recently registered to post on here.

Thank you for your kind words. Coming from a warrior I respect such as yourself I am honored.

Good luck to all of the good folks at U.

The recently named Vice President of Employee Morale, Baghdad Bob, stated today in a news conference that the farmout of Airbus work was not a contractural violation.

Key points of Bob's announcement:

"We have never done heavy maintenance in house on any aircraft, NEVER! The infidels will lie to you and say the opposite but I tell you never."

"The mechanics of US Airways have asked us to farm out this work as the Airbus is built by a large consortium in France, and everyone hates the French"

"We have never had paycuts here. In fact everyone got a 50% raise just last week. Business has never been better. Upper management has a plan."

Attachments

• 07_minister_2.jpg
    07_minister_2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 142
If indeed (which I believe it is) the outsourcing of Airbus checks is in direct violation of our contract language, what is preventing the IAM from directly going to the court system and asking for an injunction? If the maintenance instructors are going to Mobile to train employees, what additional "proof" is needed by the IAM to take swift and decisive action?

This is a crucial issue. Is the IAM attacking this legally (courts) and in the court of public opinion (newspapers, radio, etc.). It needs to be approached on several fronts.

My personal opinion is that wearing red shirts is simplistic and not enough.

Jet Mechanic

It appears the current regime at the helm are much better at obtaining cost reductions and downsizing than actually running the airline which is now required of them. It may be time for them to look into obtaining some new talent to help them.

--- So the wise thing for them to do could be to extent some invitations to successful pups in the field and hand over the reigns of this dog and pony show. It is not hard to see that they are struggling.

You need to ask "WHY"? If you have not noticed ever since good old "Labor Friendly Dave" got all the employee groups to agree to concessions with the thought that his main goal was to build a succesful airline, he has slowly chipped away at all the employee groups for more! When is it going to end? Time for all the groups on the property to band together aganist one common enemy!!!! DAVE & CO!!!!! Remember the pilots got it first with their pension, now he is going after the mechanics! Who will be next? I have never seen morale so low and finally its starting to show on the monthly stats. Bottom line is the way the company is being run, nobody really care if the doors shut tomorrow. Just run the airline or shut it down just make a decision!!!!