Aircraft Maintenance Technician Craft or Class

chellow

Advanced
Sep 26, 2010
[SIZE=10pt]Calling all AMT’s, the time is ripe for us to call on congress for a congressional directive. This  directive is in hope of obtaining an Aircraft Maintenance Technician Craft or Class.  Currently the NMB has grouped AMT’s (Aircraft  Mechanics) into the Mechanic and Related craft or class in violation of the Railway Labor Act section 152.4.  We hope to have the same quality of representation that Ramp, Stores, Dispatchers, Flight Sim. Tech, Pilots, and flight Attendants have by having our own unique craft or class.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please fill out our electronic Petition at http://amtcc.us.  By posting this, I’m also requesting your input on this subject, keeping this thread going will keep this post on top and relevant.[/SIZE]

Reactions: 9 people
Well shouldn't out "union" with the "all powerful" afl-cio be advocating for us? Note the sarcasm. Thx for posting the link.

Reactions: 1 person
WeAAsles said:
I like this. This is pro active and hopefully can effect the change that you're seeking. I'm also going to suggest you make a petition here as well.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

Thanks for the help although I suspect this is a smartass post. There is no reason any of you should care if AMT's want to have their own union and class and craft. Funny though a lot of you do. I know when I was at NW the ramp didn't want us leaving the IAM I remember vividly when I would go to push an airplane after I had set up my gate I found the bypass pin gone after I had set it. You know damn well you want us in the class and craft and or union and that proved it to me

Reactions: 2 people
lineguy43 said:

Thanks for the help although I suspect this is a smartass post. There is no reason any of you should care if AMT's want to have their own union and class and craft. Funny though a lot of you do. I know when I was at NW the ramp didn't want us leaving the IAM I remember vividly when I would go to push an airplane after I had set up my gate I found the bypass pin gone after I had set it. You know damn well you want us in the class and craft and or union and that proved it to me
No I'm not being a smartass. Many of you seem to have writings that suggest that you're prisoners to the Fleet group. I don't like that connotation personally because if in any way that's been true I don't believe that we should benefit off of your skills that you went to school, put in the time and sacrifice to achieve.

I'm a man and make my own way in life and my group should as well. I haven't signed the petition yet becuase I want to know how you guys feel about a non mechanic doing so? I'd also like to read some more discussions on this movement. 

Has it been tried before and if so what happened?

lineguy43 said:

I know I am an outsider looking in, but I think weAAsles is being sincere, not a smarta$$.  This is a great thing you guys are doing for our class and craft.  Get a hold of all the mechanics unions to get on board and help with their connections politically.  I would even suggest contacting AMFA, it does not matter if they do not represent you guys, (yet) but it is a very strong belief of AMFA and they have spent many years talking to congress and many others about this very subject.  Good luck to you guys...

WeAAsles said:
No I'm not being a smartass. Many of you seem to have writings that suggest that you're prisoners to the Fleet group. I don't like that connotation personally because if in any way that's been true I don't believe that we should benefit off of your skills that you went to school, put in the time and sacrifice to achieve.

I'm a man and make my own way in life and my group should as well. I haven't signed the petition yet becuase I want to know how you guys feel about a non mechanic doing so? I'd also like to read some more discussions on this movement. 

This is the first time any one has tried for a Congressional Directive that I know of.  
  • In 1945 MNB Case No. R-1447 the TWU and IAM Raided American Airline ground workers then represented by Air Line Mechanics Association, International (ALMA), in this determination all the airlines craft or class classifications where discussed. Simply put the NMB decided not to apply the law, because it was to much work for them and that the companies request it so (counter to the RLA in where it states that Airlines have no say on representative disputes).

• In 1965 Case Nos. R-8712 R-3718 R-3714 AMFA tried to raid Eastern, United and  Seaboard World Airlines. In this dereminiation AMFA requested to only represent Aircraft Mechanics. The NMB setup a special committee to hear the request, they invited all the interested parties in the airline industry to discus the issue.  In the hearings AMFA stated the Aircraft Mechanics where a unique craft or class and should be afforded the chance to decide their representative, AMFA stated “The employees who belong in the craft or class which AMFA seek to represent are those . . .  who "are trained to and possessed of sufficient skill to do and who in fact do mechanical work on the aircraft and its components and who are personally and directly are responsible for the airworthy condition of the aircraft and its components."

The other interested parties and the NMB where all against an Aircraft Mechanics craft or class because it would cost them all a hardship.

Oddly AMFA, the interested parties nor the NMB quoted the law in whole during the hearing.

• In the 80's their was a campaign too, but I don't know what came of it.

I received some questions about the campaign.
  • Q:  Is this campaign AMFA sponsored?
A:  No AMFA has nothing to do with this campaign, in fact we will be putting in a motion at the TWU local to help in the campaign.
  • Q:  won’t this hurt the GSE Mechanics?
A:  No, in fact one of the reasons we decided to run this campaign was due to so many GSE stations deciding to align with the Ramp locals.
  • Q: What are the benefits on the fruition of this campaign?
A: Well, we will be able to negotiate more effectively and the international will be more accountable to our needs.  As I recall we gave back as AMT’s more then the company requested back in 2013, I don’t believe the international will let that happen again if they were more accountable.

Reactions: 2 people
WeAAsles said:

So?  Did you sign yet?