Airline pilots fired for taking off ... their clothes

----------------
On 4/25/2003 11:39:36 AM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------
On 4/25/2003 11:21:59 AM AAStew wrote:

I know that KC, they are appealing (or the union is). My point exactly. Unions are neccessary!
----------------​
I gotta disagree to some extent. This is not going to be a safety issue, it''s going to be a "sexual harassment" issue. I''m showing my age here, but it really wasn''t all that long ago that this would have been viewed as nothing more than a prank - and it wouldn''t have required a union to handle the situation. Yeah, the guys would have been disciplined, but I doubt they would have been fired. But now, a man can barely tell a woman "you look nice in that dress" without fearing the loss of his job. And the way the laws are these days, an FA who wasn''t even on the flight can file a lawsuit for "emotional distress" because she''s afraid of flying with the guys. It''s pretty damn silly, but that''s the world we live in.

----------------​
This is just another step in us becoming a "MAJOR" airline. I have been here 9 years and I see we''re losing our sense of Humor. Work Hard/ Play Hard is now just Work hard/ watch your back. Stupid Joke or Harrassment? I guess Herb better watch who he hugs from now on.

That is ridiculous to fire them. There is no law which prohibits them from flying naked, the f/a should of just taken a picture and given it to thier wives. That would of been payback enough. SW has been known for their wild antics so why this? Herb would not have allowed them to be fired. See KC this is where Unions can help........(you left us already huh?)
Stew

----------------
On 4/25/2003 11:21:59 AM AAStew wrote:

I know that KC, they are appealing (or the union is). My point exactly. Unions are neccessary!
----------------​
I gotta disagree to some extent. This is not going to be a safety issue, it''s going to be a "sexual harassment" issue. I''m showing my age here, but it really wasn''t all that long ago that this would have been viewed as nothing more than a prank - and it wouldn''t have required a union to handle the situation. Yeah, the guys would have been disciplined, but I doubt they would have been fired. But now, a man can barely tell a woman "you look nice in that dress" without fearing the loss of his job. And the way the laws are these days, an FA who wasn''t even on the flight can file a lawsuit for "emotional distress" because she''s afraid of flying with the guys. It''s pretty damn silly, but that''s the world we live in.

Oh my Fly, maybe the poor boys were just confused and thought they should have no clothes on.
KC I agree with you that things have gotten out of hand, but being female I can tell you that some men just do not know where to draw the line. As a college student I was fired from one job because I complained about my manager''s overt sexual advances. I would post what he said but it would get censored out.
Some are funny (like the cockpit story), and I just think they should be judged invidually, but fat chance huh?

Maybe they did spill coffee....
This reminds me of a story at AA. A few years ago one of our captains was retiring and on his last leg. His standing reply with the f/a's when asked how he wanted his food served was 'Serve it to me naked'. SO on his last leg, the two f/a's up front did just that(well naked from the waist up). Mind you these "girls" were in their early 50's. (but they still looked pretty good). Thank goodness stuffy old AA still has a sense of humor (kind of).
By the way his wife was seated in first and gave them her blessing....

----------------
On 4/25/2003 11:01:56 AM AAStew wrote:

That is ridiculous to fire them. There is no law which prohibits them from flying naked,  the f/a should of just taken a picture and given it to thier wives. That would of been payback enough. SW has been known for their wild antics so why this? Herb would not have allowed them to be fired. See KC this is where Unions can help........(you left us already huh?)
Stew

----------------​

I believe the unforgiveable sin was that when confronted they initially lied about the incident even taking place. Then the company presented them with the "smoking gun" (supposedly there was a photo involved).

My guess is that eventually they will quietly be re-instated.

So, you think the "prank" would have been an issue if the f/a was male??

IMHO, the very Culture of SWA lends itself to these occurances, "work hard/play hard", the problem being that not all of the players want to play.

I think the pilots were guilty of not knowing their audience, especially in this day of cell phones that take pictures. Time off to think about it, yes. Termination, no.