Airlines forced to get creative with cost-cutting

TheNewLowFare

Senior
Aug 31, 2005
Found this in the Southwest website and thought I'd post it here since US is mentioned in the article.

Weary airlines forced to get creative with cost-cutting

By Mike Sunnucks
The Business Journal of Phoenix
Updated: 7:00 p.m. ET Jan. 29, 2006

High jet-fuel costs and tight operating margins in a sector that always seems to be on the edge of a cliff have airlines scouring for creative ways to keep costs under control.

Some of those methods are as simple as removing some cabin light bulbs, using cheaper blankets and mops and less expensive paper for boarding passes.

Other cost-saving efforts are more large-scale, such as loading up on fuel in less expensive cities, changing flight plans to take advantage of wind conditions and using only one aircraft engine to taxi on runways before take-off.

Southwest Airlines and US Airways -- the top two carriers operating in the Phoenix market -- are among the major airlines scouring their operating procedures and business models for cost savings.

Dallas-based Southwest has led the airline industry in keeping costs down in the post-9/11 operating environment. The airline bought substantially more jet fuel in advance than other carriers in recent years, which allowed it to better withstand recent spikes in energy prices.

But Southwest also is making some little changes that result in some not so little savings.

"We switched to a different type of paper for our boarding passes, which resulted in over $700,000 savings annually," said spokeswoman Paula Berg.

Southwest also made a number of other changes that may seem small to the average passenger but help Southwest lower costs.

Those include:

Removing light bulbs from behind the no-smoking signs onboard Southwest aircraft.
Taking tequila and margaritas off the on-board drink menus due to lack of demand.
Switching to less-expensive kinds of mops and blankets, which resulted in savings of $850,000 annually.
Berg said Southwest employees are encouraged to find innovative ways to reduce expenses, and the rank and file have embraced that because the airline has a large profit-sharing program.

"Some of our maintenance employees saw another airline throwing away a scaffolding. Our guys took it out of the trash and turned it into a picnic table and a few benches for their hangar," said Berg.

The airline industry has faced incredible cost pressures in recent years. Jet-fuel prices are high; labor costs are a challenge; and, despite numerous bankruptcies, the sector still grapples with the problem of too many airline seats chasing too few passengers.

That means to stay competitive, airlines need to keep ticket prices low, which is good for the consumer but puts big-time bottom line pressures on the industry.

Tempe-based US Airways also is looking for ways to save money both in terms of flight operations and options directly related to fuel.

US Air spokesman Carlo Bertolini said the carrier has found a number of ways to use less jet fuel and find direct energy savings.

That includes using ground power to cool or heat aircraft cabins before take-off; filling up airplane fuel tanks in cities with less expensive energy prices than other markets and taxiing before take-off with one engine.

"Instead of starting both engines, we can just use one until it's time for take-off," said Bertolini.

US Airways also installed winglets and other fuel-efficient equipment on airline wings to cut down on the wind drag that slows planes and results in more spent fuel.

Bertolini said the airline also changed flight plans to decrease fuel usage by taking advantage of good tail-winds and jet- stream conditions and connecting flights to airports that allow planes to carry less reserve fuel.

The carrier also is charging for in-flight meals and has changed up boarding procedures to save time and increase efficiency.

In addition, US Airways offers employee incentives based on on-time performance, safety and lowering costs.

"Our employees have a great awareness of the importance of keeping costs low and play a key role in doing so," said Bertolini.

I have also heard from my friend that US East has taken out the ovens in coach because they add weight to the cabin. That's why they only serve cold meals in coach. Is this true?

The article mentions SW uses less expensive paper for boarding passes. AirTran uses paper like you would get from a cash register at a store. To me, that's a great idea. The boarding passes that come from the kiosks are definitely less expensive than the traditional passes. I think that as printers are replaced, the airline should move to something like AirTran uses.

"I have also heard from my friend that US East has taken out the ovens in coach because they add weight to the cabin. That's why they only serve cold meals in coach. Is this true? "

no it's not. we still have ovens on our narrow body airbus a/c in the main cabin. they are inoperative though since the circut breakers have been pulled. but can be operative at any time by pushing in the circut breaker. the company put collars around the circut breakers so that way the ovens can't be used. also we have idiot f/a's who like to store pillows,blankets, and ant other thinngs they can find in the oven's when they can't find space on the a/c. that's another reason they put collars on the circuit breakers so that the oven cannot be accidently turned on inflight with blankets in them. even though a memo was sent out not to put stuff in the oven's .

Don't hold your breath. That two cents saved could be applied to a management bonus.
It is a shame that the majority of the employees fell this way at US. This and itself is a big reason why WN can make money and US can’t because the employees of WN believe in their management. US employees believe in??????????????????

Disappointing that a promising thread has already been diminished by stale complaints.

(hey, dumpster-diving can be a thrill if you're in the right place at the right time --- and you have the standard-issue redneck pickup truck!)

Am I the only one who finds it very disturbing that adult f/a's are storing flammables in an oven??

I'm sure pitbull has a ready explanation.

It is techncally no longer an oven when the circuit breaker is collared.

Here are some other cost saving ideas: Dump the lavs EVERY leg, fill the potable water tanks only half full (on legs less than 1,000 miles) and if it not part of the aircraft certification, remove those ovens.

It is techncally no longer an oven when the circuit breaker is collared.

Here are some other cost saving ideas: Dump the lavs EVERY leg, fill the potable water tanks only half full (on legs less than 1,000 miles) and if it not part of the aircraft certification, remove those ovens.

I wish they would dump the lavs every leg! Especially on 737s and 757s, they smell horrible. Why don't you suggest that to the company?

The work has been outsourced and the lavs are only suppose to be dumped at the hubs, the west coast stations, bos, dca and lga, everything else is on request only.

And good luck on getting it done per company policy.

Disappointing that a promising thread has already been diminished by stale complaints.

(hey, dumpster-diving can be a thrill if you're in the right place at the right time --- and you have the standard-issue redneck pickup truck!)

Am I the only one who finds it very disturbing that adult f/a's are storing flammables in an oven??

I'm sure pitbull has a ready explanation.

Not only do f/a store blankets and pillows in the ovens, they have also been known to warm up their cold shoes on long flights in them.

On a different note there is alot of extra weight being flown around on the regular basis. We have sodas and pretzels that have been flying around for years. The 757 which now generally flies shorter routes is still stocked with enough soda to fly to the west coast. I've never done the math, but I sure the extra weight does add to our fuel cost.

I think US must pressure all airport operators to make it mandatory that all power units are in working order so APU's do not have to be used....If the power unit is inop, then US should not have to pay rent for that jetbridge..

I think US must pressure all airport operators to make it mandatory that all power units are in working order so APU's do not have to be used....If the power unit is inop, then US should not have to pay rent for that jetbridge..

No APU = no water pressure, so no water to wash hands in the lavs and no water for coffee for FC predeparture service.
They're already complaining about diminished service, I'm just sayin.

The APU now costs @ $120 per hour to operate. That equals $60 per pot of coffee (assuming the APU is started 30 mins prior to departure). Maybe we should go back to the Piedmont way and have coffee makers in the boarding area. That would be alot cheaper and the customers could enjoy the coffee and read the paper while they wait for their flight to board; all the while, saving LCC money. Washed hands will have to wait. Carry Purell like me.

It is a shame that the majority of the employees fell this way at US. This and itself is a big reason why WN can make money and US can’t because the employees of WN believe in their management. US employees believe in??????????????????
john john,

Just how do you think the majority of employees [at least the ones that were required to take HUGE pay and benefit cuts], supposed to Feel ???

Past CEO's and other upper management walked out the door FILTHY rich off the backs of employees.

How much of a pay cut were YOU required to take ?? [38%?], [ 1%? ] or were you rewarded with a retention bonus ?

US employees believe in ??? This one believes in a FAIR SHAKE !!!