Airtran to slash workers pay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
THis brings to mind a question. Are you all that are in unions not allowed to vote on this or can they just do it?
The company is asking for an 11% pay rate cut from Captains, and an 8% pay rate cut from First Officers, subject to a vote by our union members.

After the terrorist attacks, we were given the choice of a 9% pay rate cut and a reduction in guaranteed pay, or the company would furlough pilots. IIRC, the vote was about 96% in favor of the pay cuts. What I didn't realize then was that the 9% cut in my pay rate, plus the reduced minimum guarantee, plus the reduced amount of flying, plus the lack of open trips to pick up, would result in my total pay being cut by about 40%.

Gotta go talk to my wife about her finding a couple more jobs.... :lol:

This is just so wrong. These costs should be passed on in fare increases & not on the backs of hard working employees. Best wishes to you all.
Thanks Coach.

When our CEO was recently promoted from President, he received an 80% pay raise (IIRC). If I could get an 80% raise before having to vote on an 11% cut, it would make the decision making process much easier. <_<

THis brings to mind a question. Are you all that are in unions not allowed to vote on this or can they just do it?
Just spoke with one of our Mechanics and he said, all the Unions get to vote and all have to either accept it or reject it. In that case, say the Mechanics & F/As agree and the Pilots do not, then it is rejected by all. Nothing is in the Mechanics contract with 'paycut' language but 'layoffs' are. I'm sure Citrus Jock knows from the in-flight side how this works with their contract. Good luck to all of us in this mess.

They want employees to subsidize the cost of fuel and the low cost of the tickets.

Because they figure they have the most to lose and are thus the easiest way to decrease costs.

This will follow at all the other airlines sooner or later.

Wake up folks. Our jobs are not to make it easy on the cretins in management. Our jobs are to do what they hired us to do. That is not to subsidize poor management, high fuel or unrealistic ticket prices.

Just say no. Force them to run the airline.

That is a real shame. I feel for all of you. Why couldn't your CEO forgo his 80% increase in return for a smaller cut for you? The writing is on the wall. Say hello to lousy morale, and like they say... Sh!t flows downhill...

Just spoke with one of our Mechanics and he said, all the Unions get to vote and all have to either accept it or reject it. In that case, say the Mechanics & F/As agree and the Pilots do not, then it is rejected by all. Nothing is in the Mechanics contract with 'paycut' language but 'layoffs' are. I'm sure Citrus Jock knows from the in-flight side how this works with their contract. Good luck to all of us in this mess.
AirTran management must have taken a play right out of the CO playbook.When the FA's voted no to concessions the first time and the pilots and mechanics voted yes,the company went ahead with concessions anyway with those 2 groups. They couldnt bacttrack fast enough.

Don't believe the all or nothing hype.

That is a real shame. I feel for all of you. Why couldn't your CEO forgo his 80% increase in return for a smaller cut for you? The writing is on the wall. Say hello to lousy morale, and like they say... Sh!t flows downhill...
His pay raise was part of the promotion from President to CEO (not saying I agree or disagree with it; just stating it was part of a promotion, like a pay raise when upgrading from F/O to Capt.).

That being said, I spoke with one of our mechanics on my last trip. He said that when one of their union higher-ups spoke with our Senior VP of Ops., the VP was asked if upper mgmt. would be keeping their bonuses in light of labor job cuts, pay cuts, capacity reduction, etc. The VP's reply was, "Damn right we're keeping them. We're the best mgmt. team in the industry". :lol:

That is right out of the Leo Mullin "we need to keep top mgmt. talent at Delta" playbook (and they all left anyway). If you pay me mgmt. pay, I'll lose all the money you want me to, and then some.

And I thought at AirTran, "we're something else". :down:

I wouldn't hold my breath on these voluntary pay cuts, and I'm considered one of the more pro-company types.

His pay raise was part of the promotion from President to CEO (not saying I agree or disagree with it; just stating it was part of a promotion, like a pay raise when upgrading from F/O to Capt.).

That being said, I spoke with one of our mechanics on my last trip. He said that when one of their union higher-ups spoke with our Senior VP of Ops., the VP was asked if upper mgmt. would be keeping their bonuses in light of labor job cuts, pay cuts, capacity reduction, etc. The VP's reply was, "Damn right we're keeping them. We're the best mgmt. team in the industry". :lol:

That is right out of the Leo Mullin "we need to keep top mgmt. talent at Delta" playbook (and they all left anyway). If you pay me mgmt. pay, I'll lose all the money you want me to, and then some.

And I thought at AirTran, "we're something else". :down:

I wouldn't hold my breath on these voluntary pay cuts, and I'm considered one of the more pro-company types.
My pay cut is not voluntary and it is what it is whether I like it or not. Not many choices out there now so I shove in my REO Speedwagon tape and play 'Ridin' the Storm Out'! Layta!!! <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.