Alaska Air Group (ALK) to Split 2:1

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010

SEATTLE — Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK) announced today that its board of directors has declared a two-for-one stock split to be effected in the form of a stock dividend. The additional shares will be distributed on July 9, to shareholders of record as of June 23, 2014.

The stock split will increase Alaska Air Group's outstanding shares from approximately 68 million shares to about 136 million shares. This will be Alaska Air Group's second two-for-one stock split since going public. The last stock split was in March 2012. 

ALK just keeps climbing higher.

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom/ASNews/ASstories/AS_20140612_044916.asp

Josh

AS is likely counting on the fact that its recent strong financial performance will make it possible for the overall market cap to increase via the stock split.

It could also serve to help make it harder in a hostile takeover.

Finally, it is better to act now before any impact of DL's expansion in SEA becomes publicly known.

Reactions: 1 person
that is the conventional wisdom but DL's big domestic expansion at SEA has just started.

It is far from certain how AS will fair. DL will offer more competition to AS than they have seen in decades.

Let's keep in mind that DL added more than new 125 flights/day from LGA in one year as part of the slot swap. What DL is doing in SEA is far smaller in size.

WorldTraveler said:
that is the conventional wisdom but DL's big domestic expansion at SEA has just started.It is far from certain how AS will fair. DL will offer more competition to AS than they have seen in decades.Let's keep in mind that DL added more than new 125 flights/day from LGA in one year as part of the slot swap. What DL is doing in SEA is far smaller in size.
I heard: massive ops room in SLC for SEA operations and eventually 300 flights a day. It seems Delta's plan is to destroy not acquire. I like Alaska and hope they survive and prosper. It concerns me though that we are seeing Alaska pilots in our new hire classes. Maybe they are just leaving because of the opportunity for advancement.

Bean

Investors apparently like the stock, so it's a smart move on AS's part to create more shareholder value.

Reactions: 1 person
Thats cause of the billions in patents Blackberry has, and I am a dedicated BB guy, I have the new Q10.

I hear ya- I held on for a long time because they still had a QWERTY keyboard, and I imagine there are still a lot of companies (and the gov't) that use them, but...

Yep the Q10 has the QWERTY Keyboard, and thats why I stay loyal, I dont like touchscreen keyboards.  The Q10 has the regular keyboard and everything else is a touchscreen.

81am5bb0DAL._SL1500_.jpg

do we possibly have a place to find commonality?

I HATE touch screen typing regardless of the device.

but you don't have to buy a Blackberry in order to get solid performance with a QWERTY keyboard.

LG integrates Windows to create one platform for multiple devices - without the Apple cult mindset.

None of this changes ALK's long-term prospects one way or the other - and the mere fact that RIM is lumped into ANY category with ALK raises eyebrows....

but it goes to show how much of an impact competition could have on ALK's future which, like RIM, was built around having a good idea that no one else copied - until the IPhone came along.

Its not RIM anymore, they changed their name to BlackBerry, and I like the Blackberry as the new Q10 you can load android programs on there now with the APK files.

The next release of the upgrade to the operating system will allow you to directly go to Amazon and install Android Apps directly.

And the thing that keeps Blackberry going besides their patents is their security level, especially with Blackberry Enterprise and BBM.