Alaska Airlines, technicians ratify new contract

PhatSappy

Advanced
Oct 31, 2010

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9R1S0Q80.htm

The Associated Press November 16, 2011, 8:53AM ET

SEATTLE

Alaska Airlines said the union representing its aircraft technicians has ratified a new five-year contract.

The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association represents the carrier's 626 aircraft technicians and related employees. The union and the airline, which is operated by Alaska Air Group Inc., had been in negotiations for 11 months. They reached a tentative deal on the contract in October.

Alaska Airlines said Wednesday the proposed contract includes annual pay raises, additional job protection provisions and a long-term contract bonus.

The new contract becomes amendable on Oct. 17, 2016.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWU / AMR are ONE!

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9R1S0Q80.htm

The Associated Press November 16, 2011, 8:53AM ET

SEATTLE

Alaska Airlines said the union representing its aircraft technicians has ratified a new five-year contract.

The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association represents the carrier's 626 aircraft technicians and related employees. The union and the airline, which is operated by Alaska Air Group Inc., had been in negotiations for 11 months. They reached a tentative deal on the contract in October.

Alaska Airlines said Wednesday the proposed contract includes annual pay raises, additional job protection provisions and a long-term contract bonus.
TWU / AMR are ONE!

Press Release: AMFA Technicians Ratify Tentative Agreement with Alaska Airlines
Nov 15, 2011 - Posted by: Steven Nowak

Nov. 15, 2011 -- The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) announced today that its members working at Alaska Airlines (ASA) have ratified the tentative contract agreement with the airline.

This five year contract includes raises totaling 13.1% over the life of the agreement and a signing bonus, making our ASA members the 2nd highest paid Mechanics in the passenger airline industry. In addition, the contract includes an annual wage review to guarantee their wage ranking over the life of the agreement. The agreement also provides job protection, merger protection, a medical premium cap, and other enhancements.

AMFA is an independent craft union and now represents the two highest paid Aircraft Mechanic groups in the airline industry. AMFA's credo is "Safety in the air begins with quality maintenance on the ground." To learn more about AMFA, visit www.amfanational.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Release: AMFA Technicians Ratify Tentative Agreement with Alaska Airlines
Nov 15, 2011 - Posted by: Steven Nowak

Nov. 15, 2011 -- The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) announced today that its members working at Alaska Airlines (ASA) have ratified the tentative contract agreement with the airline.

This five year contract includes raises totaling 13.1% over the life of the agreement and a signing bonus, making our ASA members the 2nd highest paid Mechanics in the passenger airline industry. In addition, the contract includes an annual wage review to guarantee their wage ranking over the life of the agreement. The agreement also provides job protection, merger protection, a medical premium cap, and other enhancements.

AMFA is an independent craft union and now represents the two highest paid Aircraft Mechanic groups in the airline industry. AMFA's credo is "Safety in the air begins with quality maintenance on the ground." To learn more about AMFA, visit www.amfanational.org

Good for them!!!

Second highest paid in the passenger airline industry? So less than their fellow AMFA brothers at WN? And less than the Teamsters at UPS? What happened to leapfrogging/matching the industry standard?

AS rids itself of overhaul (terminating hundreds of mechanics) and the best AMFA can do is second place behind WN? Perhaps better than the TWU, but still clearly inferior.

Second highest paid in the passenger airline industry? So less than their fellow AMFA brothers at WN? And less than the Teamsters at UPS? What happened to leapfrogging/matching the industry standard?

AS rids itself of overhaul (terminating hundreds of mechanics) and the best AMFA can do is second place behind WN? Perhaps better than the TWU, but still clearly inferior.
I agree, they should of definitely leap frogged SWA. But I don't know if you can blame AMFA, don't forget they also represent SWA with the HIGHEST passenger mechanic pay rate. Obviously they did better.

AMFA Alaska Airlines obviously didn't do as good as AMFA SWA. The beauty of AMFA is the autonomy of each group with the help of the national. Everyone has a hand in his/her own destiny.

Reactions: 1 person

AS isnt half as big & doesn't earn near the revenue WN does. For the size of the carrier, I'd say the wage rate is pretty good. Beats the hell out of most everyone else.

Reactions: 1 person

So you are saying that "anything" the TWU does is inferior?

You state that they are second highest in the passenger industry?

But less thn UPS a non-passenger carrier.

Yet WN and AS both by AMFA, are number one and two? Am I following you here?

And of course AA must be penalized for doing their own overhaul, right?

I agree, they should of definitely leap frogged SWA. But I don't know if you can blame AMFA, don't forget they also represent SWA with the HIGHEST passenger mechanic pay rate. Obviously they did better.

AMFA Alaska Airlines obviously didn't do as good as AMFA SWA. The beauty of AMFA is the autonomy of each group with the help of the national. Everyone has a hand in his/her own destiny.
By leapfrogging WN AMFA at AS would have received somewhwere between $5 to $10 an hour raise?

Wish I could get that, brother.

No overhaul? Oh yes that wasn't missed. True, the proven model is line maintenance, outsourced overhaul. Or work at a freight company. No pax issues and higher pay. Line maint. subsidizing overhaul is a mistake we live with.

No overhaul? Oh yes that wasn't missed. True, the proven model is line maintenance, outsourced overhaul. Or work at a freight company. No pax issues and higher pay. Line maint. subsidizing overhaul is a mistake we live with.

Ah ####, you started it again...:-/

Ah ####, you started it again...:-/
Not for me, while I am in OH it is what I chose. I have too much seniority to leave. I believe that the Line/OH issue will eventually work itself out in the same method as the original B-Scale has done. One thing I do not hear about is the B-Scales at WN or AS or anywhere else.

Not for me, while I am in OH it is what I chose. I have too much seniority to leave. I believe that the Line/OH issue will eventually work itself out in the same method as the original B-Scale has done. One thing I do not hear about is the B-Scales at WN or AS or anywhere else.

A) got AMFA?
B) got a healthy Corp balance sheet?
C) outsource most heavys & component maint?
= sweet wages/benes pkg for mechs on payroll.

Pretty simple model to me........AAs day of reckoning has come I'm afraid, Buck.

A) got AMFA?
B) got a healthy Corp balance sheet?
C) outsource most heavys & component maint?
= sweet wages/benes pkg for mechs on payroll.

Pretty simple model to me........AAs day of reckoning has come I'm afraid, Buck.
Congrats to AMFA and the Alaska mechs. So nice to have a new contract "finished" prior to amendable date.. Excellent job!!

BTW: I believe you just had a great idea for some T-shirts "GOT AMFA???"

Can't wait to open our contract. As long as we (all employees) get a smooth integration done ASAP I'm sure we will all be treated pretty well on the next contract. AMFA has already said the company wants an early opener to get it done.

Again, great job to you Louie Key and your negotiating team at Alaska!