Alaska Airlines to cut 1,000 jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UAL_TECH

Alaska Airlines to cut 1,000 jobs

Excerpt:
The job cuts, representing about 10% of the workforce, will begin from 9 November and affect pilots, cabin crew, technicians and service staff.

Airline and travel companies are struggling worldwide.

Alaska Airlines chief executive Bill Ayer said "the one-two punch" of record oil prices and a weak economy, on top of increased competition, had hurt the airline.

"Regrettably, a reduced schedule means we need fewer employees," he said.

Alaska Airlines to cut capacity, slash jobs

NEW YORK - Alaska Airlines said Friday it will cut capacity by 8 percent this winter and slash up to 1,000 jobs, as high fuel costs and a weak economy provide a "one-two punch" to the carrier‘s bottom line.

The carrier, a unit of Seattle-based Alaska Air Group Inc., says the capacity reductions and job cuts will start in November and continue throughout next year.

Alaska Airlines said it is working with the unions that represent affected employees, and offering them "early out" programs and extended leave of absences to lessen the number of involuntary furloughs.

The company said it has taken steps to offset record costs, including increasing fees and adding charges, reducing fuel consumption and deferring capital projects.

Spokesman Stephen Gordon of the Machinists union, which represents more than 3,700 ticket and gate agents, ramp personnel and mechanics, said the layoffs weren‘t a surprise.

But some other employees insist there are other ways to solve the carrier‘s problems.

Capt. Bill Shivers, chairman of ALPA, said he is concerned the airline will cut its staff of pilots back too much and not be able to take advantage of opportunities for growth in the future.

ALPA, which represents the 1,500 pilots at Alaska, is asking the airline to reduce the guaranteed number of flight hours — and therefore reduce their pay — instead of using furloughs.

Good Luck Guys N' Gals!

B) xUT

I myself just came back from an involuntary overage leave so I know how disconcerting this can be. I'm curious as to what AFA is doing to offset the furloughs. My sympathy for everyone affected.

Considering that the article is dated back in September and the furloughs/flight reductions supposedly occurred nearly a month ago it's been awfully quiet.

Jim

Look again, gentlemen. The original post about the AS layoffs is dated September of last year. Very old news. Let's not reopen this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts