Alaska will get rid of Virgin by end of 2019

Well, well, looks like the Name disappearing will happen sooner than later. In the article above it was mentioned by end of 2019 (I know, it still is) and in the one below they are now saying as of 4-24-18, Virgin will be gone. Wonder if Branson will hold to his word and get another airline or even his old airline (Virgin) back? Might be a lot harder to start an airline with all the mergers we've had. But I am sure Branson will do it as long as he is not too terribly busy with his other adventures and rebuilding his island.

Virgin America to take its final bow next spring

If Virgin America was not making it and became purchase fodder before, what makes Branson think he can do the same thing all over again and make money this time? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is one of the first signs of insanity.

Branson is a blowhard and a publicity hog. As long as ALK owns the web domains associated to VX, Branson won't have much of a way to promote a replacement brand.

I'm also pretty certain Alaska can keep the trademarks tied up in court for a decade or so.

It will be interesting to see if Branson tries to re-create some sort of a Virgin Airline in the U.S. (After selling VA to Alaska he said that if they eliminated the Virgin Brand, he would start another Virgin Airline in the U.S.) If he does, he must have more money than Warren Buffett. If the product didn't sell the first time around, what makes him think it will sell on a second offering?

Last edited:
Yes Jim, Branson did say he would start up another airline in the US if the Virgin name went away. Not sure if the agreement between him and Alaska will prevent that from happening for a certain amount of time before he does it. Kinda like the agreement between JB's original creator and SWA when he left SWA to start up JB. But, I am sure Branson will do something.

Now that the merger is completed a tad bit later than expected, will Alaska go with the all 737 family like SWA? It does make a lot of sense for saving millions. Also, by the time they put in an order to receiving their a/c the fix will be done with the Max's. The only thing left is, will the public have enough confidence to reboard the Max's? Maybe Trump is correct that Boeing should fix, add options, and rebrand the a/c...

Alaska Airlines May Order a Ton of Boeing 737 MAX Jets in 2019

Latest posts