All-coach-757 To England?

Actually, yes that is exactly what they are going to do. The First Class cabin will still be there and, as I understand it, will be used to upgrade upper-level AAdvantage members and those passengers paying full coach price. However, the only "upgrade" will be the comfort. I believe that there will not be other f/c amenities--like meals, free headsets, etc.

If you recall, some years ago AA flew the 757 JFK to MAN. It didn't last too long for whatever reason.

I don't know what the big deal is with this. From Bos to Man must be about 6 hours or so. We used to fly the 757 from Mia to Sea (about the same flight time) with no problems. And headsets are free on all International destinations with the exception of Mexico and the Caribbean in both coach and first

MiAAmi said:
I don't know what the big deal is with this.
I do realize that on some 3 class flights we sell the business class as coach and that the first class cabin on some 2 class flights are sold at a business fare, but the big deal for me was the quote. It said that AA will fly an all-coach-class 757 from BOS to MAN and I have not experienced an all coach AA aircraft before. However, if this is actually a 2 class cabin 757 being sold as coach service, then that is not quite as big a deal, although I haven't seen that either.

Does anyone remember a market in which AA sold an entire aircraft as coach service?

This is really a plain old 757 with 22 F seats and 166 Y seats sold as one class. Arpey confirmed (in the recent conference call) that it will just be sold as one class, with elites (EXPs, Plats, Golds) and full fares having first dibbs on the F cabin.

Does it really matter if its a narrow or wide body, the fact is it still has only 2 engines and granted the engine reliability has improved dramaticlly over the years, the possibility still remains for an engine to go out, and when that happens you become a very heavy single engine airplane over a looooooog stretch of H2O. I don't remember what the distance from land is now but I do remember that it has been increasing ever since the Feds allowed 2 engine ops over water.

FWAAA said:
This is really a plain old 757 with 22 F seats and 166 Y seats sold as one class. Arpey confirmed (in the recent conference call) that it will just be sold as one class, with elites (EXPs, Plats, Golds) and full fares having first dibbs on the F cabin.
Exactly right. Nothing different than the phenomenon on, for example, the 777 from DFW MIA in which coach passengers may find themselves in business class seats - without business class service.

Also, the stated idea is to "develop" the route - beginning with satisfying leisure demand - with the possibility of "upgrading" to 2- or even 3-class service in the future...it ain't an "airline within an airline" scheme.

A/C FIXER said:
I don't remember what the distance from land is now but I do remember that it has been increasing ever since the Feds allowed 2 engine ops over water.
For BOS-MAN, it's really not very far from land at all. Across the Atlantic, the routes that truly go far from land would be, say, MIA-MAD.

Now, Pacific routes are horses of a different color.

Lets hope that if it leaves the same time as the London flight, that somehow the line thru security at BOS will not be the standard 1 hour at that time of night!

Interesting, saw this in the FW Star-Telegram last weekend ... AMR isn't exactly rolling this out with a lot of hooplah, are they?

AirwAr said:
Does anyone remember a market in which AA sold an entire aircraft as coach service?
Depends how far back one goes. Throughout most of the '50s and into the '60s AA had a fair number of DC-6s in all-coach ("T" class) configuration. Affectionately known as "roach coaches", these aircraft could be identified by the extra window at the prop line (where galleys were in the FC aircraft). After the 707s and Electras entered service in '59, some DC-7s were also converted to all-coach.

Latest posts